Which Evangelical Denominations... ???

General Christian Theology
cooper
Affiliation: LMC

Re: Which Evangelical Denominations... ???

Post by cooper »

Judas Maccabeus wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2023 8:02 pm
Ernie wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2023 7:54 pm Looks like 72% of Evangelicals are fine with women pastors and preachers.

https://www.christianitytoday.com/ct/20 ... reach.html
This does not surprise me at all. My former group (C&MA) did it, after a 15 year fight, national leadership verses the bulk of the membership.

In my experience, the higher you get in a denominational hierarchy the more liberal you are likely to be..
That contradicts the data in Ernie's CT article. I think the CT article's research is unreliable, but I could be wrong.

The article says "65 percent of Southern Baptists are supportive of women being allowed to serve as clergy."
In June, 88% of SBC messengers voted to deny the appeal of Rick Warren's Saddleback Church who were kicked out of the SBC because they ordain women.
0 x
Judas Maccabeus
Affiliation: Con. Menno.

Post by Judas Maccabeus »

cooper wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 5:08 pm
Ernie wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2023 7:54 pm Looks like 72% of Evangelicals are fine with women pastors and preachers.

This does not surprise me at all. My former group (C&MA) did it, after a 15 year fight, national leadership verses the bulk of the membership.

In my experience, the higher you get in a denominational hierarchy the more liberal you are likely to be..
That contradicts the data in Ernie's CT article. I think the CT article's research is unreliable, but I could be wrong.

The article says "65 percent of Southern Baptists are supportive of women being allowed to serve as clergy."
In June, 88% of SBC messengers voted to deny the appeal of Rick Warren's Saddleback Church who were kicked out of the SBC because they ordain women.
The answer would depend on EXACTLY how the question was phrased. Also, I would suggest that SBC is anything but typical of evangelical denominations.
0 x
:hug:
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Post by Ken »

Unlike many other denominations, the Southern Baptists have spent the past 2-3 decades in an internal war between conservatives and moderates in which the conservatives have won.

The "SBC Messengers" are generally the conservative church leaders and trend older, white male conservatives. Two-thirds of them are male, and nearly 40% are senior pastors of their congregations. They are not necessarily reflective of denominational church membership as a whole. And most certainly NOT more liberal. The fact that women are excluded from the ministry means that the leadership is by definition going to trend more male and conservative.
0 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr
Ernie
Affiliation: Anabaptist Umbrella

Post by Ernie »

Ken wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 9:17 pm The "SBC Messengers" are generally the conservative church leaders and trend older, white male conservatives. Two-thirds of them are male, and nearly 40% are senior pastors of their congregations. They are not necessarily reflective of denominational church membership as a whole. And most certainly NOT more liberal. The fact that women are excluded from the ministry means that the leadership is by definition going to trend more male and conservative.
That's also how I see it.
0 x
The old woodcutter spoke again. “It is impossible to talk with you. You always draw conclusions. Life is so vast, yet you judge all of life with one page or one word. You see only a fragment. Unless you know the whole story, how can you judge?"
Judas Maccabeus
Affiliation: Con. Menno.

Post by Judas Maccabeus »

Ken wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 9:17 pm

Unlike many other denominations, the Southern Baptists have spent the past 2-3 decades in an internal war between conservatives and moderates in which the conservatives have won.

The "SBC Messengers" are generally the conservative church leaders and trend older, white male conservatives. Two-thirds of them are male, and nearly 40% are senior pastors of their congregations. They are not necessarily reflective of denominational church membership as a whole. And most certainly NOT more liberal. The fact that women are excluded from the ministry means that the leadership is by definition going to trend more male and conservative.
They have had at least one major split, wherein they lost most of their liberal congregations.
0 x
:hug: