When adult children leave the denomination

General Christian Theology
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

When adult children leave the denomination

Post by MaxPC »

Steve's thread spurred some queries of my own. Have you noticed an increase number of adult children leaving the denomination of their family because of the influence of a spouse or significant other?
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
Neto
Affiliation: Gospel Haven

Re: When adult children leave the denomination

Post by Neto »

My wife left the Beachy Amish-Mennonite congregation in which she was a member (and where she had attended from the time she was 12, when her parents left the Amish), shortly before we married. But I didn't exactly 'cause' her to leave - she didn't want me to join the BA-M. (I suppose I just aided in the process....
1 x
Congregation: Gospel Haven Mennonite Fellowship, Benton, Ohio (Holmes Co.) a split from Beachy-Amish Mennonite.
Personal heritage & general theological viewpoint: conservative Mennonite Brethren.
Sudsy
Affiliation: Salvation Army

Post by Sudsy »

I am aware of an increase before I left the MB church, where there appeared to be a growing number of Mennonite couples that left the Mennonite church of their youth, to become part of the MB church. My guess is that they were heavily influenced by friends who had previously made the change more than their spouse or significant other.

I also think the 'the grass is greener on the other side' often has much to do with it and if what you are part of becomes quite boring in this world of constant change and/or you have been through some church spats of sorts, I think adult children are more prone to step away from their upbringing to try something else than they were a few years ago. I know in Pentecostalism it was suggested to us that any movement away from Pentecostalism is a step down but I think the younger people are more prone to check this out for themselves.

The First Baptist church I attended have recently had an increase in previous Mennonite believers and some have taken on the lead in worship with their worship band. Whether or not this change in worship style was not allowed in their previous church, I'm not sure. My guess it wasn't allowed.

Years ago many of us left our home churches (including a large number of MBs) to join an Evangelical Baptist church due to a new emphasis on outreach and winning the lost that had not become a priority in our home churches. This church quickly went from a few to being packed out and a source church of various missionary and Bible school callings. During this period I think for some it was not always an initial decision to change by both partners but it soon became one.
1 x
Pursuing a Kingdom life in the Spirit
MaxPC

Post by MaxPC »

What of those who leave and do not practice any faith?
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
MaxPC

Post by MaxPC »

MaxPC wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 7:27 am What of those who leave and do not practice any faith?
Has there been an increase in the incidents of those leaving the faith due to spousal influence?

(My reason for the query is not a personal one for the sake of gossip. My reason is to identify an overall pattern that may be occurring among Christian groups. No needs or details necessary; simply if you observe an increase in the numbers of the above situation)?
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
steve-in-kville
Affiliation: Hippie Anabaptist

Post by steve-in-kville »

MaxPC wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2023 11:41 am Steve's thread spurred some queries of my own. Have you noticed an increase number of adult children leaving the denomination of their family because of the influence of a spouse or significant other?
In our area, it really depends on the conference. Some conferences discourage dating outside of the conference. How well that is enforced, not sure. Some kinda bounce between like conferences, like Hope & Pilgrim. I was told that if a church "swap pulpits" than the youth are okay to date within those circles.

The conservative Brethren circles are also this way: Dunkard Brethren, Old German Baptist, Bible Brethren have been known to date amongst each other, within reason.

My married daughter and her husband were married a few months until they decided which congregation to stick with, whereas the mennonite circles would want that decided before marriage.

Again, another thing that is clear as mud.
1 x
I self-identify as a conspiracy theorist. My pronouns are told/you/so.

Owner/admin at https://milepost81.com/
For parents, railfans, and much more!
QuietlyListening
Affiliation: Anabaptist @ baptist

Post by QuietlyListening »

Has there been an increase in the incidents of those leaving the faith due to spousal influence?
Leaving a denomination and leaving the faith to me are 2 different things. One is going to a different church of a different if you would have it flavor and many times a different culture of how things are done but leaving the faith is to turn your back on Christianity - in my opinion.

What I have seen in many of my nieces and nephews is that they have moved to a different church and most out of anabaptism completely after they are married and have a family. They have become tired of the inward-ness of how the church is. In our case my husband was already out of the conservative mennonite church when we met and we attended Mennonite churches when we could but where we live we have few options and they are either USA or very very conservative and neither works for us.

But in all cases it was a switch in denomination/type of church not the faith. All are committed believers just worshipping in a different setting and have a different outlook on how church is accomplished not whether they are believers or not.
1 x
steve-in-kville
Affiliation: Hippie Anabaptist

Post by steve-in-kville »

QuietlyListening wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 3:24 pm
But in all cases it was a switch in denomination/type of church not the faith. All are committed believers just worshipping in a different setting and have a different outlook on how church is accomplished not whether they are believers or not.
This what I've been trying to say in a few other threads. Thank you for this 8-)
2 x
I self-identify as a conspiracy theorist. My pronouns are told/you/so.

Owner/admin at https://milepost81.com/
For parents, railfans, and much more!
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

steve-in-kville wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 2:43 pm My married daughter and her husband were married a few months until they decided which congregation to stick with, whereas the mennonite circles would want that decided before marriage.

Again, another thing that is clear as mud.
I can usually predict with 99% certainty which congregation such a couple will choose (provided one congregation is less conservative than the other).
0 x
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

QuietlyListening wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 3:24 pm But in all cases it was a switch in denomination/type of church not the faith. All are committed believers just worshipping in a different setting and have a different outlook on how church is accomplished not whether they are believers or not.
Are they, though? Exactly what faith and practice is it? I really question how much someone is a "committed believer" once they started attending a church which promotes things like military service, voting, political involvement, carrying guns, etc.
0 x