The Twelve Tribes in Prophecy

General Christian Theology
mike
Affiliation: Conservative Menno

Re: The Twelve Tribes in Prophecy

Post by mike »

silentreader wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2023 2:53 pm
gcdonner wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2023 2:14 pm
silentreader wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2023 11:41 am It seems though that the descendants of Isaac were the "children of promise".
Exactly, not the children of the flesh which the Apostle himself equates with natural Israel.

It still all boils down to the fact that Jesus is the Way, no matter what your physical heritage may be. It all comes through the "promise of the Spirit", for as Paul says again, "the flesh profiteth nothing".
You need to understand that I agree that Jesus is the only Way, and that the natural branches, who are not us, must come to Christ in order to become spiritual children of Abraham, such as we are. But in the meantime, we should pray that the natural branches, who have been cut off, should look on Him whom they have pierced and turn to Christ so that they, like us, might be grafted in.
The physical heritage of the Jews, at this point, is the reason for the strife and the hatred in the Middle East.
Do you believe the Jews have a divine right to the land of Palestine now regardless of whether they turn to Christ or not?
0 x
Remember the prisoners, as though you were in prison with them, and the mistreated, as though you yourselves were suffering bodily. -Heb. 13:3
silentreader
Affiliation: MidWest Fellowship

Post by silentreader »

mike wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2023 3:00 pm
Exactly, not the children of the flesh which the Apostle himself equates with natural Israel.

It still all boils down to the fact that Jesus is the Way, no matter what your physical heritage may be. It all comes through the "promise of the Spirit", for as Paul says again, "the flesh profiteth nothing".
You need to understand that I agree that Jesus is the only Way, and that the natural branches, who are not us, must come to Christ in order to become spiritual children of Abraham, such as we are. But in the meantime, we should pray that the natural branches, who have been cut off, should look on Him whom they have pierced and turn to Christ so that they, like us, might be grafted in.
The physical heritage of the Jews, at this point, is the reason for the strife and the hatred in the Middle East.
Do you believe the Jews have a divine right to the land of Palestine now regardless of whether they turn to Christ or not?
Only if Jesus is their King and sitting on the throne of David in the millennial kingdom. In their own strength, no. But their very presence in the land will cause unending conflict until then.
0 x
Noah was a conspiracy theorist...and then it began to rain.~Unknown
mike

Post by mike »

silentreader wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2023 3:11 pm

Only if Jesus is their King and sitting on the throne of David in the millennial kingdom. In their own strength, no. But their very presence in the land will cause unending conflict until then.
I'm asking about now, in the present. Do you believe they have a divine right to the land now?
0 x
Remember the prisoners, as though you were in prison with them, and the mistreated, as though you yourselves were suffering bodily. -Heb. 13:3
silentreader

Post by silentreader »

mike wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2023 3:20 pm

I'm asking about now, in the present. Do you believe they have a divine right to the land now?
And that was the question I answered.
0 x
mike

Post by mike »

silentreader wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2023 3:25 pm

OK, since Jesus isn't their king and sitting on the throne, and this isn't the millennial kingdom, I would understand you to say no. What would you say to the many Christians who champion the right of Israel to to land today, even though they have not turned to Christ, and He isn't sitting on the throne of David?
0 x
silentreader

Post by silentreader »

mike wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2023 3:33 pm
silentreader wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2023 3:25 pm

OK, since Jesus isn't their king and sitting on the throne, and this isn't the millennial kingdom, I would understand you to say no. What would you say to the many Christians who champion the right of Israel to to land today, even though they have not turned to Christ, and He isn't sitting on the throne of David?
I am very much not a Zionist, personally. Anything that has to do with Israel and the land is a different "stream" than redemption in Jesus Christ. Israel cannot achieve its fulness unless it repents and turns to the Messiah that they once rejected. Then having the "Divine Right" to the land is peripheral to the necessity of salvation. The Church cannot fulfill its purpose if it prays for Israel's return to the land instead of Israel's redemption by the Messiah. Ours is a ministry of (spiritual) reconciliation. The reconciliation of Israel is an important part of that field. I believe it harms the witness and power of the church by focusing on the land rather than the redemption.
Jesus was portrayed as "The Lion of the Tribe of Judah" and as "The Lamb of God that Taketh Away the Sin of the World". The Jews wanted the Lion, but the Lamb had to do its work first. They rejected the Lamb, and lost the Lion as well.
Now they still have to receive the Lamb first, and then we'll see.....
1 x
mike

Post by mike »

silentreader wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2023 3:55 pmI am very much not a Zionist, personally. Anything that has to do with Israel and the land is a different "stream" than redemption in Jesus Christ. Israel cannot achieve its fulness unless it repents and turns to the Messiah that they once rejected. Then having the "Divine Right" to the land is peripheral to the necessity of salvation. The Church cannot fulfill its purpose if it prays for Israel's return to the land instead of Israel's redemption by the Messiah. Ours is a ministry of (spiritual) reconciliation. The reconciliation of Israel is an important part of that field. I believe it harms the witness and power of the church by focusing on the land rather than the redemption.
Jesus was portrayed as "The Lion of the Tribe of Judah" and as "The Lamb of God that Taketh Away the Sin of the World". The Jews wanted the Lion, but the Lamb had to do its work first. They rejected the Lamb, and lost the Lion as well.
OK, I understand your perspective. That is a different view from Zionism. I still don't understand God as having different "streams" for Jews and Gentiles, but I find your perspective a lot more palatable than some of the popular views of Israel among Christians these days.
0 x
silentreader

Post by silentreader »

mike wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2023 4:10 pm
silentreader wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2023 3:55 pmI am very much not a Zionist, personally. Anything that has to do with Israel and the land is a different "stream" than redemption in Jesus Christ. Israel cannot achieve its fulness unless it repents and turns to the Messiah that they once rejected. Then having the "Divine Right" to the land is peripheral to the necessity of salvation. The Church cannot fulfill its purpose if it prays for Israel's return to the land instead of Israel's redemption by the Messiah. Ours is a ministry of (spiritual) reconciliation. The reconciliation of Israel is an important part of that field. I believe it harms the witness and power of the church by focusing on the land rather than the redemption.
OK, I understand your perspective. That is a different view from Zionism. I still don't understand God as having different "streams" for Jews and Gentiles, but I find your perspective a lot more palatable than some of the popular views of Israel among Christians these days.
The 2 different "streams" are "land" and "redemption." In other words Jews on the one hand for the land, (and predominantly secular right now), and on the other hand the redeemed, consisting of "whosever will", whether Jew or Gentile.
0 x
gcdonner
Affiliation: Anabaptiluthercostal

Post by gcdonner »

silentreader wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2023 11:41 am It seems though that the descendants of Isaac were the "children of promise".

It is a natural part of their rejection of Christ and I do pray for them, just like any other people group on the face of planet earth, and especially those in this country who have heard and rejected. There, is, however, no particular place in prophecy for them beyond being "grafted in". The land promises that so many focus on were part of the OC and not of the NC. The OC is gone, and the NC promises go back to Abraham by faith in Christ. They are spiritually applied and spiritually seen.
"Except a man be born again he cannot see the kingdom of God."
1 x
Study to show thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed
rightly dividing the word of truth
gcdonner
Affiliation: Anabaptiluthercostal

Post by gcdonner »

silentreader wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2023 3:55 pm Jesus was portrayed as "The Lion of the Tribe of Judah" and as "The Lamb of God that Taketh Away the Sin of the World". The Jews wanted the Lion, but the Lamb had to do its work first. They rejected the Lamb, and lost the Lion as well.
There is nothing to "see". All of the land promises were under the OC, which is totally "vanished". The whole problem in the Middle East is the sons of Abraham of the flesh are still fighting over the land, which has no eternal value. Zionism did not help the "Jews". The ignorance of Christianity has made them what they are today, still looking for what they no longer have a claim to. There will never be peace for them outside of Christ.
1 x
Study to show thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed
rightly dividing the word of truth