Devices Replacing Hard Copy Bibles & Study Materials in Church

General Christian Theology

Which expresses your comfort level with using digital devices in church?

I'm not comfortable with using digital devices instead of or supplemental to hard copies in church, and I don't think others should be either.
27%
I'm not comfortable with using digital devices instead of or supplemental to hard copies in church, but I think others should be free to do so if they prefer.
12%
I'm comfortable with using digital devices to supplement hard copies of Bibles and study materials in church, but not in place of.
35%
I'm comfortable with using digital devices to supplement or even replace hard copies of Bibles and study materials in church.
15%
Other
12%

Total votes: 26

mike
Affiliation: Conservative Menno

Devices Replacing Hard Copy Bibles & Study Materials in Church

Post by mike »

What are your thoughts about supplementing or even replacing hard copies of Bibles and study materials in church services with digital devices such as smartphones and tablets? Talk pros and cons, your experience and habits, your church's policies if any.
0 x
Remember the prisoners, as though you were in prison with them, and the mistreated, as though you yourselves were suffering bodily. -Heb. 13:3
mike

Re: Devices Replacing Hard Copy Bibles & Study Materials in Church

Post by mike »

For many years, the most I've used a smartphone as a Bible in church was to supplement my hard copy. Mostly it was the frequent times when I had a child in my lap and it was difficult to hold my print copy. Also, I've used it to compare versions during Sunday School or Bible studies, or Google something pertaining to a discussion. Awhile back, I got a personal iPad for the first time and used it for just a short while in place of carrying a Bible and notepad. I did like that, but we were told at church that there were concerns about people replacing their Bibles with devices, so I stopped.

I think there are pros and cons to using digital devices instead of hard copies of books in church. There are of course the potential distractions, most or all of which are dealt with by putting the device in airplane mode.
0 x
Remember the prisoners, as though you were in prison with them, and the mistreated, as though you yourselves were suffering bodily. -Heb. 13:3
Soloist
Affiliation: CM Seeker

Post by Soloist »

I use my phone because I have yet to find a copy of KJV and the Latin Vulgate in a usable form… I also reference the Septuagint often as well. If I’m particularly bored with the sermon or Sunday school, I’ll attempt to cross reference the subject with the early church writings.
It’s simply not practical to do any of that with hardback.

That being said… I have sat in a conservative Mennonite church and watched the deacon’s son (sitting by him) playing a game on an iPad or another tablet.
That concerns me…
The flip side is it’s too easy to check Menno too if you are bored and it’s easy to criticize and ignore your own problems.
0 x
Soloist, but I hate singing alone
Soloist, but my wife posts with me
Soloist, but I believe in community
Soloist, but I want God in the pilot seat
Ernie
Affiliation: Anabaptist Umbrella

Post by Ernie »

Recently I was introduced to the term, "Mennonite music". It refers to the rustling of Bible pages throughout the sermon. I'm sure other churches have the same music. I would hate to part with this as it signifies something Anabaptists consider important.

While I am not opposed to digital if that is better in certain instances, I do not recommend it in general. For one reason, few people are going to only use their smartphones only to engage with the sermon. Most will be noticing incoming messages, WhatsApp statuses, etc.
3 x
The old woodcutter spoke again. “It is impossible to talk with you. You always draw conclusions. Life is so vast, yet you judge all of life with one page or one word. You see only a fragment. Unless you know the whole story, how can you judge?"
ken_sylvania
Affiliation: CM

Post by ken_sylvania »

It doesn't take too much of an imagination to think that it wouldn't be long until the "comments" in Sunday School are GPT3 or GPT4 inspired.
1 x
Soloist
Affiliation: CM Seeker

Post by Soloist »

ken_sylvania wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2023 3:55 pm It doesn't take too much of an imagination to think that it wouldn't be long until the "comments" in Sunday School are GPT3 or GPT4 inspired.
Well… certainly seems like people already are inspired by certain commentaries.
0 x
Soloist, but I hate singing alone
Soloist, but my wife posts with me
Soloist, but I believe in community
Soloist, but I want God in the pilot seat
ken_sylvania
Affiliation: CM

Post by ken_sylvania »

Soloist wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2023 3:59 pm
ken_sylvania wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2023 3:55 pm It doesn't take too much of an imagination to think that it wouldn't be long until the "comments" in Sunday School are GPT3 or GPT4 inspired.
And I already have a keen distaste for an excess of that, for sure.
0 x
mike

Post by mike »

ken_sylvania wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2023 4:01 pm
Soloist wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2023 3:59 pm
And I already have a keen distaste for an excess of that, for sure.
ChatGPT would hardly come up with content that sounds more computer-generated than the average CLP or R&S SS lesson. :)
1 x
mike

Post by mike »

Ernie wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2023 3:44 pm Recently I was introduced to the term, "Mennonite music". It refers to the rustling of Bible pages throughout the sermon. I'm sure other churches have the same music. I would hate to part with this as it signifies something Anabaptists consider important.

While I am not opposed to digital if that is better in certain instances, I do not recommend it in general. For one reason, few people are going to only use their smartphones only to engage with the sermon. Most will be noticing incoming messages, WhatsApp statuses, etc.
We already notice those things when our phones or watches vibrate. Doesn't mean we have to look at them unless we are on call for emergencies, like some people are. I will get concerned about those distractions when they get as bad as the problem of people sleeping in church. Besides, devices are very easily put on airplane mode to eliminate all incoming messages.

Screens are more visible by others when we are in church than when we are just about anywhere else because we sit in close proximity. Somebody over my shoulder can easily see what I am doing on my phone. It's accountability.
0 x
RZehr
Affiliation: Cons. Mennonite

Post by RZehr »

I don’t see any realistic way for a congregation to use digital devices in the service without them being used for distractions more than a help. For every person using it responsibility, there will be 4 times as much distraction and disruption. If this were not the case, I’d be okay with it. I’m not against progress or digital. But the way digital is currently, it doesn’t work. For every Mike or Soloist using it, there will be 4 deacons boys - who then point to Mike and Soloist devices. I used to be a deacons boy. I know how they think.
2 x