Devices Replacing Hard Copy Bibles & Study Materials in Church

General Christian Theology

Which expresses your comfort level with using digital devices in church?

I'm not comfortable with using digital devices instead of or supplemental to hard copies in church, and I don't think others should be either.
27%
I'm not comfortable with using digital devices instead of or supplemental to hard copies in church, but I think others should be free to do so if they prefer.
12%
I'm comfortable with using digital devices to supplement hard copies of Bibles and study materials in church, but not in place of.
35%
I'm comfortable with using digital devices to supplement or even replace hard copies of Bibles and study materials in church.
15%
Other
12%

Total votes: 26

Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

Re: Devices Replacing Hard Copy Bibles & Study Materials in Church

Post by Bootstrap »

mike wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2023 5:41 pm
Bootstrap wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2023 5:38 pm In one way, a phone is less distracting for me.

If we are reading sequentially through a passage, it's easier to keep my place. I just keep scrolling as I read, and the part I read last is always at the top of the screen. So if I am preaching, or listening to the preacher without my head in the book, I can always instantly see where I was last reading.

And it's smaller. It lets me walk around while preaching, I'm not as tied to the pulpit.
Reading from a phone is more linear. If you're flipping between several different spots in the Bible, you can't just put your finger in the one while flipping to the other. It's all electronic, so to quickly get back to your spot you have to go to your history and tap the right reference on the list. I think that's one of the downsides of digital Bibles.
Yes, especially on a phone. When I have to do that on my phone, I often use the web browser and Biblegateway, with a tab open for each passage I am looking at.

On my computer, I have software that lets me set bookmarks, so it's easier.

Personally, I'm not that great at flipping back and forth in my Bible, either. And I use several Bibles and some dictionaries, which is just too much to carry around. But this is all about what works best for you or me, there are good reasons to go either way.
0 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?
ken_sylvania
Affiliation: CM

Post by ken_sylvania »

mike wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2023 5:36 pm As far as note taking, I see a lot of people dutifully taking notes in church regularly and I wonder what they do with the notes. I suspect some people do it as an activity to keep focused and engaged, not out of any plan to look at the notes later. I don't usually take notes, but we do need to list things like prayer requests or maybe announced dates and times.
I think there's something about writing things down that helps me focus better, and retain things that I would otherwise not remember, even if I throw out the notes immediately after.
3 x
Sudsy
Affiliation: Salvation Army

Post by Sudsy »

Other - my comfort level on what others are doing is not affected when I am focused on God. There are other things that I have struggled with to keep that focus, one being children allowed to cry or allowed to do other distracting things when they sit in the pew ahead of me. One solution to many distractions is to go early and get a front seat and minimize people watching.

People using computers and phones instead of hard copies of books only would matter to me if I was curious to know what all they might be using these for. And that is between them and the Lord.
1 x
Pursuing a Kingdom life in the Spirit
mike
Affiliation: Conservative Menno

Post by mike »

Ernie wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2023 3:44 pm Recently I was introduced to the term, "Mennonite music". It refers to the rustling of Bible pages throughout the sermon. I'm sure other churches have the same music. I would hate to part with this as it signifies something Anabaptists consider important.
I never thought of this, but I listened yesterday and yes, there's a lot of that sound during the sermon.

It's a modern phenomenon, right? What do you think it was like in churches when copies of Bibles proliferated in the pews for the first time as the printing press made them cheap enough for the average person? Would the novel sight and sound of all those books have been distracting?

To me, the sound of all the pages turning has value beyond just sentimentality in that it shows people are engaging with the writings being read, at least in outward form. This is different of course from Catholicism where people generally don't carry Bibles, and engage the scriptures being read by listening to them. Catholics would likely argue that this is a superior and more time-honored way of engaging the scriptures; maybe they would think everybody carrying their own Bibles and all the sound of pages shuffling is a distraction itself.

As one Catholic writes,
When I was a teenager our Catholic Youth Group had occasional ecumenical meetings with a Protestant Youth Group nearby. One day our leaders decided that a fun thing to do would be to have a Bible based quiz night. We Catholics were all quite worried because we had been told that the Protestants took their Bibles very seriously and we did not often read ours outside church.

As it happened, we wiped the floor with them in the quiz and I wondered why. It turned out the Protestant Youth knew very little of the Bible outside of their minister’s favorite texts, whereas we Catholics, who attended Mass each Sunday had had, over a three year cycle, every principal story from the Old Testament and nearly the entire New Testament, read and explained to us at Sunday Mass. On average we had been through five or so of those cycles since our birth and so the Bible was pretty familiar to us (I’m showing my age, but now it’s more like twenty, and that’s not counting the readings at daily weekday Mass, in which the entire Gospels are read each year, and the Old Testament and other New Testament books over a two year cycle). Taking Bibles to church is superfluous for Catholics, because the priest comments on the readings that have just been proclaimed rather than choosing his favorite texts and having you look them up. If you must follow the readings rather than listen to them, most Catholic churches provide the printed readings of the day in one form or another too.

The myth among some Protestants that Catholics do not take their Bible seriously arises from a misunderstanding of how we approach our prayer and liturgical life. No, most of us have not read the Bible end to end (I have but this is rare), but nevertheless Catholics have a deep appreciation of the Bible through our liturgical life and the priests’ explanations of pretty much every important aspect of it. Personal prayer and lectio divina (a method of deep meditation on scripture passages) deepen the understanding of the more devout, but even the most casual church-attending Catholic will know their Bible well.

If you want a glib answer that sums up the above, it is because the Bible is impressed on our hearts through weekly (or daily) familiarity, that we don’t need to carry it around.
1 x
Remember the prisoners, as though you were in prison with them, and the mistreated, as though you yourselves were suffering bodily. -Heb. 13:3
steve-in-kville
Affiliation: Hippie Anabaptist

Post by steve-in-kville »

I'm too old school. I still use a leather-bound day planner as well as a refillable journal. I realize I can do all this on my phone, but what's the fun in that?
0 x
I self-identify as a conspiracy theorist. My pronouns are told/you/so.

Owner/admin at https://milepost81.com/
For parents, railfans, and much more!
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

steve-in-kville wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2023 9:34 am I'm too old school. I still use a leather-bound day planner as well as a refillable journal. I realize I can do all this on my phone, but what's the fun in that?
My phone managed to disappear my children’s doctor appointments in November. Can’t find them on my computer in iCloud or gmail and I checked my work account stop. They just vanished for no good reason.

I took a screenshot of my calendar a few months ago precisely because this keeps happening.
0 x
JHüls
Affiliation: Independent

Post by JHüls »

The importance of having physical hard copies - especially vintage copies - of Bibles and theological works will become increasingly important as people switch to digital devices. Revisionists and governments with agendas will most certainly use digital platforms to control, edit and push a revisionist version of church history and the Bible itself.

Without access to verifiable hard copies, it will be difficult for anyone to prove what the truth was.

Call this conspiratorial, but I think its a very legitimate concern.
0 x
"It is love alone that is pleasing to God; he that cannot show love shall not stand in the sight of God."
Felix Manz
Ernie
Affiliation: Anabaptist Umbrella

Post by Ernie »

steve-in-kville wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2023 9:34 am I'm too old school. I still use a leather-bound day planner as well as a refillable journal. I realize I can do all this on my phone, but what's the fun in that?
This young Mennonite man is trying to get more people to do what you do. His video got 2.7M views.
0 x
The old woodcutter spoke again. “It is impossible to talk with you. You always draw conclusions. Life is so vast, yet you judge all of life with one page or one word. You see only a fragment. Unless you know the whole story, how can you judge?"