Drinking coffee during church service?

General Christian Theology
mike
Affiliation: ConMen

Re: Drinking coffee during church service?

Post by mike »

MaxPC wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 9:26 am
mike wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 9:17 am That doesn't mean there isn't behavior that is socially inappropriate or distracting from worship. Let all things be done decently and in order.
Well said, Mike. Which leads to the next question:
Would consuming refreshments be acceptable or unacceptable during a wedding ceremony or funeral service? If not, then where do you think the line is to be drawn between these ceremonies and the Sunday ceremonies?
There is probably a spectrum of behavior ranging from taking a sip of water or or a cough drop and having yourself a private meal during a public meeting.
1 x
Remember the prisoners, as though you were in prison with them, and the mistreated, as though you yourselves were suffering bodily. -Heb. 13:3
Grace
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by Grace »

mike wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 9:43 am
MaxPC wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 9:26 am
mike wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 9:17 am That doesn't mean there isn't behavior that is socially inappropriate or distracting from worship. Let all things be done decently and in order.
Well said, Mike. Which leads to the next question:
Would consuming refreshments be acceptable or unacceptable during a wedding ceremony or funeral service? If not, then where do you think the line is to be drawn between these ceremonies and the Sunday ceremonies?
There is probably a spectrum of behavior ranging from taking a sip of water or or a cough drop and having yourself a private meal during a public meeting.
Or a private cud chewing party. Someone chewing gum, like a cow chewing their cud, adding snapping and cracking sounds. So distracting. Another thing that is distracting is an older couple in our church, who packs on the PDA.
2 x
steve-in-kville
Affiliation: Hippie Anabaptist

Post by steve-in-kville »

Grace wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 10:20 am Another thing that is distracting is an older couple in our church, who packs on the PDA.
Now I have that image in my head :o
1 x
I self-identify as a conspiracy theorist. My pronouns are told/you/so.

Owner/admin at https://milepost81.com/
For parents, railfans, and much more!
barnhart
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by barnhart »

We have a break with coffee and snacks after singing and preaching but before Sunday school. Small children are ready for a break from sitting and big people too.
2 x
steve-in-kville
Affiliation: Hippie Anabaptist

Post by steve-in-kville »

barnhart wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 11:19 am We have a break with coffee and snacks after singing and preaching but before Sunday school. Small children are ready for a break from sitting and big people too.
I think we have a cafe type thing that serves coffee and pastries once a month, before the Sunday School service.
1 x
I self-identify as a conspiracy theorist. My pronouns are told/you/so.

Owner/admin at https://milepost81.com/
For parents, railfans, and much more!
Neto
Affiliation: Gospel Haven

Post by Neto »

If it's OK with folks to have others drinking coffee in the service, what about an ice cream cone, or a Root Beer float? A can of Coke? A beer?
2 x
Congregation: Gospel Haven Mennonite Fellowship, Benton, Ohio (Holmes Co.) a split from Beachy-Amish Mennonite.
Personal heritage & general theological viewpoint: conservative Mennonite Brethren.
QuietlyListening
Affiliation: Anabaptist @ baptist

Post by QuietlyListening »

If it's OK with folks to have others drinking coffee in the service, what about an ice cream cone, or a Root Beer float? A can of Coke? A beer?
Truthfully I think most people see a difference in bringing a beverage in a closed container into a service is very different from bringing and ice cream cone, root beer float or beer? Or any other food item.
But people differ on many issues. I see no problem with a covered beverage but others have an issue. Guess we need to do what we feel is right. I don't think there is really a right or wrong but rather a preference and also your church culture will have a lot to do with it.
0 x
Neto

Post by Neto »

QuietlyListening wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 12:54 pm
Truthfully I think most people see a difference in bringing a beverage in a closed container into a service is very different from bringing and ice cream cone, root beer float or beer? Or any other food item.
But people differ on many issues. I see no problem with a covered beverage but others have an issue. Guess we need to do what we feel is right. I don't think there is really a right or wrong but rather a preference and also your church culture will have a lot to do with it.
My (hidden) point was that at one time the first was not acceptable for adults, but now it is. Is the "slippery slope" strewn with empty coffee cups? (I do, however, occasionally need to get up & go out to get a drink of water, or because of a coughing fit. Maybe that is also distracting to others.)
0 x
Congregation: Gospel Haven Mennonite Fellowship, Benton, Ohio (Holmes Co.) a split from Beachy-Amish Mennonite.
Personal heritage & general theological viewpoint: conservative Mennonite Brethren.
QuietlyListening
Affiliation: Anabaptist @ baptist

Post by QuietlyListening »

My (hidden) point was that at one time the first was not acceptable for adults, but now it is. Is the "slippery slope" strewn with empty coffee cups? (I do, however, occasionally need to get up & go out to get a drink of water, or because of a coughing fit. Maybe that is also distracting to others.)
If I've read things correctly you and I are about the same age. We or at least I have seen many changes in church culture. Many churches now use overheads for many things, many people use cell phones for their bibles, pews to chairs and I could go on and on. Slippery slope or just change- some changes are better than other but you see the beverage as bad. We don't have empty cups left in our church- people throw them out tho most bring their own. And years ago getting up to get a drink or go to the bathroom was frowned on- at least at the church where I went.

As I said- not sure there is a right or wrong and I have not seen folks bring food/meals/etc into a service yet. Will they eventually? Haven't a clue. But there are so many issues these days that we face- in my opinion- drinks in church are way way down on the list of issues to be concerned about. But as I said, my opinion and many disagree.
0 x
Neto

Post by Neto »

QuietlyListening wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 1:06 pm
If I've read things correctly you and I are about the same age. We or at least I have seen many changes in church culture. Many churches now use overheads for many things, many people use cell phones for their bibles, pews to chairs and I could go on and on. Slippery slope or just change- some changes are better than other but you see the beverage as bad. We don't have empty cups left in our church- people throw them out tho most bring their own. And years ago getting up to get a drink or go to the bathroom was frowned on- at least at the church where I went.

As I said- not sure there is a right or wrong and I have not seen folks bring food/meals/etc into a service yet. Will they eventually? Haven't a clue. But there are so many issues these days that we face- in my opinion- drinks in church are way way down on the list of issues to be concerned about. But as I said, my opinion and many disagree.
Lots of disposable coffee cups are left in the meeting area every Sunday at our congregation, and sometimes there are spills.

When I was growing up back in Oklahoma, not many people left the building to use the bathroom, because most people already had in-door bathrooms at home, and didn't like to use the outhouse at church. I guess the thing that bothers me most about the coffee deal is the number of people who hang around the "coffee and cookie bar", both before Sunday School and after. (Our SS class is in the chair and table storage area, which is just off of that snack area, and it's often rather loud out there.)

(By the way, I'll be 68 in a less than a month.)
0 x