General Christian Theology
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Drinking coffee during church service?

Post by MaxPC »

0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
Grace
Affiliation: Mennonite

Re: Drinking coffee during church service?

Post by Grace »

Drink your coffee BEFORE church.
2 x
Soloist
Affiliation: CM Seeker

Post by Soloist »

I don’t think it matters.
1 x
Soloist, but I hate singing alone
Soloist, but my wife posts with me
Soloist, but I believe in community
Soloist, but I want God in the pilot seat
QuietlyListening
Affiliation: Anabaptist @ baptist

Post by QuietlyListening »

To me it doesn't matter. I don't think a church should sell coffee but otherwise I see no problem with it.
2 x
Neto
Affiliation: Gospel Haven

Post by Neto »

Take your narcotics (stimulants) in the privacy of your own home, before going to church services. And please brush your teeth afterwards if it is something you drink. The smell of it on people's breath is nasty.

(They used to have a sign in our church house "No food or beverages in the sanctuary". Now it's just "Whatever".)
4 x
Congregation: Gospel Haven Mennonite Fellowship, Benton, Ohio (Holmes Co.) a split from Beachy-Amish Mennonite.
Personal heritage & general theological viewpoint: conservative Mennonite Brethren.
mike
Affiliation: Conservative Menno

Post by mike »

One of my old preachers used to tell a story about a guy who went to visit one of these megachurches. Not only was there coffee to drink during the service, a food cart literally came up the aisle at one point. He says to himself, he says, "This ain't no church." And he bought himself a hot dog.
2 x
Remember the prisoners, as though you were in prison with them, and the mistreated, as though you yourselves were suffering bodily. -Heb. 13:3
Soloist
Affiliation: CM Seeker

Post by Soloist »

It really asks the question, what is a church? A building? A group of people? Is there an actual sanctuary?
Does it matter what we do in a building? Is eating unacceptable in one part of the building but not the other part?
1 x
Soloist, but I hate singing alone
Soloist, but my wife posts with me
Soloist, but I believe in community
Soloist, but I want God in the pilot seat
QuietlyListening
Affiliation: Anabaptist @ baptist

Post by QuietlyListening »

I bring iced tea- my throat gets dry and I then start coughing so the tea helps keep me from coughing as much. Others have reasons too. I don't see how having a drink of tea/coffee/water affects our worship.
I grew up where the sanctuary was thought of as this holy place- but I think we tend to elevate the building to a status of almost holy and forget the church is the people gathered to worship- wherever it is.
When we had home church at our house- I had a pot of coffee for anyone who wished to get it. It did not affect our time of worship.
1 x
mike
Affiliation: Conservative Menno

Post by mike »

Soloist wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 8:54 am It really asks the question, what is a church? A building? A group of people? Is there an actual sanctuary?
Does it matter what we do in a building? Is eating unacceptable in one part of the building but not the other part?
The church is a group of people. I don't believe in the "sanctuary," or that there's anything special about an "altar" or pulpit or anything else. There are Mennonite churches with two pulpits, where the one is reserved for ordained persons. I've heard stories where people cleaning the church won't let children clean the pulpit because of it being a "sacred desk." Conservative Wesleyan holiness churches in my area don't allow eating in the same building where worship occurs, so they have separate fellowship halls. I don't agree with any of these things.

That doesn't mean there isn't behavior that is socially inappropriate or distracting from worship. Let all things be done decently and in order.

My parents were Amish until I was 9 years old. The Amish have church in houses, the upper floors of cow stables, or in makeshift buildings set up for the purpose. Preachers stand in doorways or corners of rooms or whatever other spot where they can be best heard. The building means little to nothing to them; the church is the gathering of the people. I agree with this idea.
1 x
Remember the prisoners, as though you were in prison with them, and the mistreated, as though you yourselves were suffering bodily. -Heb. 13:3
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

mike wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 9:17 am That doesn't mean there isn't behavior that is socially inappropriate or distracting from worship. Let all things be done decently and in order.
Well said, Mike. Which leads to the next question:
Would consuming refreshments be acceptable or unacceptable during a wedding ceremony or funeral service? If not, then where do you think the line is to be drawn between these ceremonies and the Sunday ceremonies?
1 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God