Jesus, the Master Teacher

General Christian Theology
lesterb
Affiliation: Western Fellowship

Jesus, the Master Teacher

Post by lesterb »

In a parallel thread,I've been promoting that stories promote understanding of Biblical principle. I thought that in this thread we could look at Jesus' teaching and see what we can learn from how he did it. For instance, I was listening to Matthew 13, 14 on the treadmill this morning. In my mind I see Jesus and his followers walking along a pathway between towns which went through a farmer's field. So he points to the field and gives the parable of the sower. Right in front of their eyes, they could see the evidence of what he was talking about. Another time, they walked past some wild flowers, and Jesus started talking about the lilies of the field, who don't work, but God looks after them.

I think Jesus drew a lot of lessons from natural illustrations like this as walked throughout Galilee. I think today's teachers and preachers would do well to do the same. Draw their lessons from natural illustrations familiar to their audience.
0 x
lesterb
Affiliation: Western Fellowship

Re: Jesus, the Master Teacher

Post by lesterb »

So why did Jesus use parables? I've been promoting the idea that stories illustrate doctrine in shoe-leather. But Jesus said the following...

[bible]mat 13,10-17[/bible]

So how does this all fit together?
0 x
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

lesterb wrote:So why did Jesus use parables? I've been promoting the idea that stories illustrate doctrine in shoe-leather.
"Doctrine in shoe leather" ... That's a perfect description!
:up:
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
Hats Off
Affiliation: Plain Menno OO

Post by Hats Off »

The majority of Pharisees, in their zeal to protect and uphold the law, did not recognize Jesus when he came in the flesh. Since things did not unfold as expected, they did not believe. But Jesus was speaking to the disciples who had left all to follow him. Even though they did not understand what was taking place and had wrong ideas of what was going to take place, these things would be revealed to them in due time. So the prophecies were fulfilled in that the majority did not hear or see or understand, while the little group who followed Him, as well as those who followed later do understand.
0 x
Neto
Affiliation: Gospel Haven

Post by Neto »

MaxPC wrote:
lesterb wrote:So why did Jesus use parables? I've been promoting the idea that stories illustrate doctrine in shoe-leather.
"Doctrine in shoe leather" ... That's a perfect description!
:up:
And Jesus was Truth in sandals.
0 x
Congregation: Gospel Haven Mennonite Fellowship, Benton, Ohio (Holmes Co.) a split from Beachy-Amish Mennonite.
Personal heritage & general theological viewpoint: conservative Mennonite Brethren.
Wade
Affiliation: kingdom Christian

Post by Wade »

When one looks around it is easy to see so much effort to leave reality and create artificial environments in order to experience something that is so close it is mostly overlooked​. For example people love the escape in alcohol, drugs, TV, internet, forums, video games, theology, even homes and buildings and especially talking about doing things(even good things) without actually doing them...

This was me but when coming to Christ I didn't want some church with much theology or comfort in being saved, or etc...

(I have seen firsthand good theology and doctrine; that because of lack of experience kept out people from that church because they couldn't afford it.)

I want to be joined with others who can see the Kingdom of heaven as something very real and at hand now.
Not talking about it only but living it too.
The intellectual stuff is helpful but not so if it isn't really lived - becoming a real story.
Some can be looked to for there excellent theology but experience is more powerful, and is not more important than the next persons. It is not partial.

And keep in mind stories can also be used for an escape from reality...

Spending time with God and following Christ is much more powerful than talking and thinking about Him. And it is a real story, but neither side should be neglected.
Christ stories are real even when they are a parable.
0 x