Piety & Religion

General Christian Theology
Falco Knotwise
Affiliation: Roman Catholic

Piety & Religion

Post by Falco Knotwise »

Still continuing my thinking on piety, especially at the moment in the context of Romans chapter 1.

In the King James Version version, the word piety is usually translated as "godliness." Impiety is usually translated as "godlessness." (You can check this in Strong's Concordance.)

Now if we read Romans 1:18 in this light we shockingly find that Paul is effectively saying that impiety is not a just a kind of misdemeanor — it's a felony! It's not just a sin, it's a crime! It's not just a personal defect, it's a profound defect in a society.
The wrath of God is being revealed from heaven against all the godlessness [impiety] and wickedness of people, who suppress the truth by their wickedness . . . Romans 1:18
(In context he's referencing the social collective here — the subject is the "impiety of people.")

They "suppress the truth by their wickedness."

(Wickedness is breaking the commandments, and the first commandment is to worship God. So, in other words, people are suppressing the truth by refusing to fulfill the pius obligations of the first Commandment.)

Paul then goes on to discuss the consequences of social impiety.
21 For although they knew God, they neither glorified him as God nor gave thanks to him but their thinking became futile and their foolish hearts were darkened. 22 Although they claimed to be wise, they became fools 23 and exchanged the glory of the immortal God for images made to look like a mortal human being and birds and animals and reptiles. — Romans chapter 1

And he lays out what I'm here going to call . . .

3 Stages of Ignorance leading to idolatry.

1. Ignorance of pious obligations: "they neither glorified him as God nor gave thanks to him."

(The first is ignoring pius obligations, but apparently ignorance of the law is no excuse!)

What happens as a result of ignoring pius obligations? Immediately he says "their thinking became futile and their foolish hearts were darkened." That is the second stage:

2. Darkened hearts and futile thoughts

3. Idolatry: exchanging God's grandeur, beauty and power for mortal images. "they exchanged the glory of immortal God for [mortal] images."

Next post I'll try to discuss what exactly are pius obligations.

If anyone wants to jump in and help, feel free! I'm open to and interested in comments.
2 x
Praxis+Theodicy
Affiliation: Seeker

Re: Piety & Religion

Post by Praxis+Theodicy »

This is great!
I'd like to see how your thoughts on pious obligations interact with Jesus' discussion on the three pillars of piety in Matthew chapter 6 (sermon on the mount): alms-giving, prayer, and fasting.

Also, a deeper interaction with Paul's treatise in Romans 1. Who is the audience? Who is the subject? Are the two different? What does Paul want the audience to understand about the subject? Does it describe a reality, does it exhort a response, does it demand adherence to a command or principle? Is it calling on the church to act a certain way? Is it calling on the world to act a certain way?
1 x
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by Bootstrap »

Falco Knotwise wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 10:58 pm Still continuing my thinking on piety, especially at the moment in the context of Romans chapter 1.

In the King James Version version, the word piety is usually translated as "godliness." Impiety is usually translated as "godlessness." (You can check this in Strong's Concordance.)
The Greek word for impiety in this verse is ἀ-σέβ-εια (a-sev-eia), "ungodliness", "impiety". People who do not feel awe before the gods - who do not revere, worship, and honor them - are impious. The word σέβομαι (sevomai) means to feel awe, revere, worship, and honor, ἀ- means "not", and ἀ-σέβ-εια describes the irreverence that does not do these things.
Falco Knotwise wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 10:58 pm
21 For although they knew God, they neither glorified him as God nor gave thanks to him but their thinking became futile and their foolish hearts were darkened.
That's basically a textbook definition of ἀ-σέβ-εια (a-sev-eia).
Falco Knotwise wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 10:58 pm3 Stages of Ignorance leading to idolatry.

1. Ignorance of pious obligations: "they neither glorified him as God nor gave thanks to him."

(The first is ignoring pius obligations, but apparently ignorance of the law is no excuse!)

What happens as a result of ignoring pius obligations? Immediately he says "their thinking became futile and their foolish hearts were darkened." That is the second stage:

2. Darkened hearts and futile thoughts

3. Idolatry: exchanging God's grandeur, beauty and power for mortal images. "they exchanged the glory of immortal God for [mortal] images."
Yes, I think this is very good exposition of what the text says.
0 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?
Falco Knotwise

Post by Falco Knotwise »

Praxis+Theodicy wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2023 6:17 pm This is great!
I'd like to see how your thoughts on pious obligations interact with Jesus' discussion on the three pillars of piety in Matthew chapter 6 (sermon on the mount): alms-giving, prayer, and fasting.
There does seem to be a tradition of referring to alms-giving, prayer and fasting as the three pillars of piety, however, I could not trace this tradition back to any definite source. I did read it was a Benedictine teaching, but again, I could not find a direct source for it.

One Bible translation gives Matthew 6:1 as . . .
Beware of practicing your piety before others in order to be seen by them; for then you have no reward from your Father in heaven.

— New Revised Standard Version
However, that is the only version I’m aware of that translates it that way and it seems to be an inaccurate one. According to Strong’s Concordance the word translated as piety here would more accurately be rendered as “compassion.”

The best I can make out this seems to be a “pious” custom not directly derived from any Biblical source.

On the other hand, I’m not an expert here, just a learner. Maybe you know more about it than I do. Do you have a source for it or is there maybe an Anabaptist tradition relevant here that I’d be unaware of?
Also, a deeper interaction with Paul's treatise in Romans 1. Who is the audience? Who is the subject? Are the two different? What does Paul want the audience to understand about the subject? Does it describe a reality, does it exhort a response, does it demand adherence to a command or principle? Is it calling on the church to act a certain way? Is it calling on the world to act a certain way?
It is very unlikely Paul was trying to settle the difference between the Catholic doctrine of the Social Kingship of Christ and the Two Kingdom doctrine of Anabaptism if that is what you are getting at. That was a much later development and Paul was probably not giving any direct thought to it in the context of the Epistle to the Romans. That’s my opinion on it, anyway.
1 x
Bootstrap

Post by Bootstrap »

Falco Knotwise wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2023 8:53 pm One Bible translation gives Matthew 6:1 as . . .
Beware of practicing your piety before others in order to be seen by them; for then you have no reward from your Father in heaven.

However, that is the only version I’m aware of that translates it that way and it seems to be an inaccurate one. According to Strong’s Concordance the word translated as piety here would more accurately be rendered as “compassion.”

The best I can make out this seems to be a “pious” custom not directly derived from any Biblical source.
The Greek word you are looking at is δικαιοσύνη, which means righteousness, conforming to God's will in purpose, thought and action. This word does not mean anything like "man-made religion". The problem here is not that they are doing righteous acts. The problem is their motivation - they are doing these things to be seen by men.

But righteous acts are precisely what Christians SHOULD do.

I think the ESV is quite literal here:
Beware of practicing your righteousness before other people in order to be seen by them, for then you will have no reward from your Father who is in heaven.
Mounce's lexicon shows other places where this same word is used here. As you can see, the fact majority are positive, they are the things that God wants all Christians to do.

https://www.billmounce.com/greek-dictionary/dikaiosyne

Matthew 3:15 But Jesus answered him, “Let it be so now; for in this way it is fitting for us to fulfill all righteousness.” (dikaiosynēn | δικαιοσύνην | acc sg fem) Then he allowed him.
Matthew 5:6 Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness (dikaiosynēn | δικαιοσύνην | acc sg fem), for they will be fully satisfied.
Matthew 5:10 Blessed are those who are persecuted for the sake of righteousness (dikaiosynēs | δικαιοσύνης | gen sg fem), for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
Matthew 5:20 For I tell you that unless your righteousness (dikaiosynē | δικαιοσύνη | nom sg fem) exceeds that of the scribes and Pharisees, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven.
Matthew 6:1 “Take care not to perform your good (dikaiosynēn | δικαιοσύνην | acc sg fem) deeds before others so as to be seen by them; otherwise you have no reward from your Father who is in heaven.
Matthew 6:33 But seek first the kingdom of God and his righteousness (dikaiosynēn | δικαιοσύνην | acc sg fem), and all these things will be given to you as well.
Matthew 21:32 For John came to show you the way of righteousness (dikaiosynēs | δικαιοσύνης | gen sg fem), and you did not believe him; but tax collectors and prostitutes did believe. And even when you saw it, you did not change your minds and believe him.
Luke 1:75 in holiness and righteousness (dikaiosynē | δικαιοσύνῃ | dat sg fem) before him all our days.
John 16:8 And he, when he comes, will convict the world in regard to sin and righteousness (dikaiosynēs | δικαιοσύνης | gen sg fem) and judgment:
John 16:10 in regard to righteousness (dikaiosynēs | δικαιοσύνης | gen sg fem), because I am going away to the Father, and you will see me no longer;
Acts 10:35 but in every nation anyone who fears him and does what is right (dikaiosynēn | δικαιοσύνην | acc sg fem) is acceptable to him
Acts 13:10 and said, “O man full of deceit and all fraud, son of the devil, enemy of all righteousness (dikaiosynēs | δικαιοσύνης | gen sg fem), will you not stop making crooked the straight paths of the Lord?
Acts 17:31 because he has appointed a day on which he will judge the world in righteousness (dikaiosynē | δικαιοσύνῃ | dat sg fem) by the man whom he has appointed, having provided proof to all by raising him from the dead.”
Acts 24:25 And as he reasoned with him about righteousness (dikaiosynēs | δικαιοσύνης | gen sg fem) and self-control and the judgment to come, Felix became frightened and said, “For the present go away, but when I find time I will send for you.”
Romans 1:17 For in it the righteousness (dikaiosynē | δικαιοσύνη | nom sg fem) of God is revealed from faith to faith; as it is written, “The righteous by faith will live.”
Romans 3:5 But if our unrighteousness demonstrates the righteousness (dikaiosynēn | δικαιοσύνην | acc sg fem) of God, what shall we say? That God is unjust to inflict wrath on us? (I use a human argument!)
Romans 3:21 But now, apart from the law (although attested by the law and the prophets) the righteousness (dikaiosynē | δικαιοσύνη | nom sg fem) of God has been disclosed.
Romans 3:22 It is the righteousness (dikaiosynē | δικαιοσύνη | nom sg fem) of God available through faith in Jesus Christ for all who believe. (There is no distinction,
Romans 3:25 whom God set forth as an atoning sacrifice by his blood, obtainable through faith. This was to demonstrate his righteousness (dikaiosynēs | δικαιοσύνης | gen sg fem), because God in his forbearance had passed over previous sins.
Romans 3:26 It was also to demonstrate his righteousness (dikaiosynēs | δικαιοσύνης | gen sg fem) at the present time, that he might be just and the justifier of the one who has faith in Jesus.
Romans 4:3 For what does the scripture say? “And Abraham believed God, and it was credited to him as righteousness.” (dikaiosynēn | δικαιοσύνην | acc sg fem)
Romans 4:5 But to the one who does not work, but entrusts himself to the one who justifies the ungodly, his faith is credited as righteousness (dikaiosynēn | δικαιοσύνην | acc sg fem).
Romans 4:6 So also David speaks of the blessedness of the one to whom God credits righteousness (dikaiosynēn | δικαιοσύνην | acc sg fem) apart from works:
Romans 4:9 Therefore, is this blessedness for the circumcised alone, or is it also for the uncircumcised? For we say, “It was to Abraham that faith was credited as righteousness.” (dikaiosynēn | δικαιοσύνην | acc sg fem)
Romans 4:11 He received the sign of circumcision as a seal of the righteousness (dikaiosynēs | δικαιοσύνης | gen sg fem) that he had by faith while he was still uncircumcised, so that he would be the father of all who believe but have never been circumcised, that they too might have righteousness (dikaiosynēn | δικαιοσύνην | acc sg fem) credited to them.
Romans 4:13 For the promise that he would be heir of the world did not come to Abraham or to his descendants through the law, but through the righteousness (dikaiosynēs | δικαιοσύνης | gen sg fem) of faith.
Romans 4:22 That is why his faith was credited to him as righteousness (dikaiosynēn | δικαιοσύνην | acc sg fem).
Romans 5:17 For if by the transgression of the one man death reigned through that one, much more will those who receive the abundance of grace and the gift of righteousness (dikaiosynēs | δικαιοσύνης | gen sg fem) reign in life through the one, Jesus Christ.
Romans 5:21 so that just as sin reigned in death, so also grace might reign through righteousness (dikaiosynēs | δικαιοσύνης | gen sg fem) leading to eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.
Romans 6:13 Do not continue to present your members to sin as instruments for unrighteousness, but present yourselves to God as alive from the dead, and your members to God as instruments for righteousness (dikaiosynēs | δικαιοσύνης | gen sg fem).
Romans 6:16 Do you not know that if you present yourselves to someone as obedient slaves, you are slaves of the one whom you obey, either of sin, which leads to death, or of obedience, which leads to righteousness (dikaiosynēn | δικαιοσύνην | acc sg fem)?
Romans 6:18 and having been set free from sin, you became slaves of righteousness (dikaiosynē | δικαιοσύνῃ | dat sg fem).
Romans 6:19 (I am speaking in human terms because of your natural limitations.) For just as you presented your members as slaves to impurity and to lawlessness leading to more lawlessness, so now present your members as slaves to righteousness (dikaiosynē | δικαιοσύνῃ | dat sg fem), leading to sanctification.
Romans 6:20 For when you were slaves of sin, you were free with regard to righteousness (dikaiosynē | δικαιοσύνῃ | dat sg fem).
Romans 8:10 But if Christ is in you, although the body is dead because of sin, the Spirit is life because of righteousness (dikaiosynēn | δικαιοσύνην | acc sg fem).
Romans 9:30 What then shall we say? — that the Gentiles who did not pursue righteousness (dikaiosynēn | δικαιοσύνην | acc sg fem) have obtained it (dikaiosynēn | δικαιοσύνην | acc sg fem), the righteousness (dikaiosynēn | δικαιοσύνην | acc sg fem) that is by faith;
Romans 9:31 but Israel, even though it pursued a law that would produce righteousness (dikaiosynēs | δικαιοσύνης | gen sg fem), did not attain it?
Romans 10:3 For ignoring the righteousness (dikaiosynēn | δικαιοσύνην | acc sg fem) that comes from God, and seeking to establish their own, they did not submit to God’s righteousness (dikaiosynē | δικαιοσύνῃ | dat sg fem).
Romans 10:4 For Christ is the end of the law, so now there is righteousness (dikaiosynēn | δικαιοσύνην | acc sg fem) for everyone who believes.
Romans 10:5 For Moses writes regarding the righteousness (dikaiosynēn | δικαιοσύνην | acc sg fem) that is based on the law, “The person committed to these things must live by them.”
Romans 10:6 But the righteousness (dikaiosynē | δικαιοσύνη | nom sg fem) based on faith says, “Do not say in your heart, ‘Who will ascend into heaven?’ (that is, to bring Christ down),
Romans 10:10 For with the heart a person believes and is made righteous (dikaiosynēn | δικαιοσύνην | acc sg fem), and with the mouth he confesses and is saved.
Romans 14:17 For the kingdom of God is not a matter of eating and drinking, but of righteousness (dikaiosynē | δικαιοσύνη | nom sg fem) and peace and joy in the Holy Spirit.
1 Corinthians 1:30 But you are of him in Christ Jesus, who became for us wisdom from God, and righteousness (dikaiosynē | δικαιοσύνη | nom sg fem) and sanctification and redemption,
2 Corinthians 3:9 For if there was glory in the ministry of condemnation, how much more will the ministry of righteousness (dikaiosynēs | δικαιοσύνης | gen sg fem) exceed it in glory!
2 Corinthians 5:21 He made him who knew no sin to be a sin-offering for us, so that in him we might become the righteousness (dikaiosynē | δικαιοσύνη | nom sg fem) of God.
2 Corinthians 6:7 by the word of truth, by the power of God; with the weapons of righteousness (dikaiosynēs | δικαιοσύνης | gen sg fem) both for the right hand and for the left;
2 Corinthians 6:14 Do not be unevenly yoked with unbelievers; for what is there in common between righteousness (dikaiosynē | δικαιοσύνῃ | dat sg fem) and lawlessness? Or what fellowship has light with darkness?
2 Corinthians 9:9 As it is written, “He has distributed generously, he has given to the poor; his righteousness (dikaiosynē | δικαιοσύνη | nom sg fem) endures forever.”
2 Corinthians 9:10 The one who supplies seed to the sower and bread for food will supply and multiply your seed and enlarge the harvest of your righteousness (dikaiosynēs | δικαιοσύνης | gen sg fem).
2 Corinthians 11:15 So it is no great surprise if his servants, too, disguise themselves as servants of righteousness (dikaiosynēs | δικαιοσύνης | gen sg fem). Their end will be according to their works.
Galatians 2:21 I do not nullify the grace of God; for if righteousness (dikaiosynē | δικαιοσύνη | nom sg fem) could be gained through the law, then Christ died for nothing!
Galatians 3:6 Consider Abraham: “He believed God, and it was reckoned to him as righteousness.” (dikaiosynēn | δικαιοσύνην | acc sg fem)
Galatians 3:21 Is the law, therefore, opposed to the promises of God? Certainly not! For if a law had been given that could impart life, then righteousness (dikaiosynē | δικαιοσύνη | nom sg fem) would indeed be by the law.
Galatians 5:5 For we by the Spirit, through faith, eagerly await the righteousness (dikaiosynēs | δικαιοσύνης | gen sg fem) for which we hope.
Ephesians 4:24 And to put on the new self, created in God’s likeness, in the righteousness (dikaiosynē | δικαιοσύνῃ | dat sg fem) and holiness that come from the truth.
Ephesians 5:9 (for the fruit of light consists in all goodness, righteousness (dikaiosynē | δικαιοσύνῃ | dat sg fem), and truth),
Ephesians 6:14 Stand therefore, by girding your waist with truth, by putting on the breastplate of righteousness (dikaiosynēs | δικαιοσύνης | gen sg fem),
Philippians 1:11 filled with the fruit of righteousness (dikaiosynēs | δικαιοσύνης | gen sg fem) that comes through Jesus Christ, to the glory and praise of God.
Philippians 3:6 as for zeal, a persecutor of the church; as for the righteousness (dikaiosynēn | δικαιοσύνην | acc sg fem) set forth in the law, I was blameless.
Philippians 3:9 and be found in him, not having a righteousness (dikaiosynēn | δικαιοσύνην | acc sg fem) of my own that comes from the Law, but that which comes through faith in Christ, the righteousness (dikaiosynēn | δικαιοσύνην | acc sg fem) from God that is based on faith —
1 Timothy 6:11 But you, man of God, flee these things and pursue righteousness (dikaiosynēn | δικαιοσύνην | acc sg fem), godliness, faith, love, endurance, gentleness.
2 Timothy 2:22 So flee youthful passions and pursue righteousness (dikaiosynēn | δικαιοσύνην | acc sg fem), faith, love, peace, with those who call upon the Lord out of a clean heart.
2 Timothy 3:16 All Scripture is breathed out by God and is profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correcting, for training in righteousness (dikaiosynē | δικαιοσύνῃ | dat sg fem),
2 Timothy 4:8 Now is reserved for me the crown of righteousness (dikaiosynēs | δικαιοσύνης | gen sg fem), which the Lord, the righteous judge, will give to me on that Day, but not only to me but also to everyone who has loved his appearing.
Titus 3:5 not because of works of righteousness (dikaiosynē | δικαιοσύνῃ | dat sg fem) that we did but according to his mercy, he saved us, through the washing of regeneration and renewal of the Holy Spirit,
Hebrews 1:9 You have loved righteousness (dikaiosynēn | δικαιοσύνην | acc sg fem) and hated lawlessness; therefore God, your God, has anointed you with the oil of gladness beyond your companions.”
Hebrews 5:13 for everyone who lives on milk is inexperienced with the teaching about righteousness (dikaiosynēs | δικαιοσύνης | gen sg fem), since he is still a child.
Hebrews 7:2 and to him Abraham alloted a tenth part of everything. Translated, his name means first, “king of righteousness,” (dikaiosynēs | δικαιοσύνης | gen sg fem) then it also means, “king of Salem,” that is, “king of peace.”
Hebrews 11:7 By faith Noah, having been warned by God concerning events as yet unseen, took heed and built an ark for the safety of his household. By this act of faith he condemned humanity and became an heir of the righteousness (dikaiosynēs | δικαιοσύνης | gen sg fem) that comes by faith.
Hebrews 11:33 who through faith conquered kingdoms, brought about justice (dikaiosynēn | δικαιοσύνην | acc sg fem), obtained what was promised; who shut the mouths of lions,
Hebrews 12:11 All discipline at the time seems not to be pleasant, but painful; but later it yields the peaceful fruit of (dikaiosynēs | δικαιοσύνης | gen sg fem) righteousness (dikaiosynēs | δικαιοσύνης | gen sg fem) to those who have been trained by it.
James 1:20 For the anger of man does not bring about the righteousness (dikaiosynēn | δικαιοσύνην | acc sg fem) that God requires.
James 2:23 And the scripture was fulfilled that says, “And Abraham believed God, and it was credited to him as righteousness,” (dikaiosynēn | δικαιοσύνην | acc sg fem) and he was called the friend of God.
James 3:18 And a harvest of righteousness (dikaiosynēs | δικαιοσύνης | gen sg fem) is sown in peace by those who make peace.
1 Peter 2:24 He himself bore our sins in his body on the tree so that we, having died to sins, might live to righteousness (dikaiosynē | δικαιοσύνῃ | dat sg fem). By his wounds you were healed.
1 Peter 3:14 But even if you should suffer because of righteousness (dikaiosynēn | δικαιοσύνην | acc sg fem), blessed are you. And do not fear their threats or be troubled,
2 Peter 1:1 Simon Peter, a servant and apostle of Jesus Christ, to those who have received a faith that through the justice (dikaiosynē | δικαιοσύνῃ | dat sg fem) of our God and Savior Jesus Christ is of equal privilege with ours:
2 Peter 2:5 and if he did not spare the ancient world (but preserved Noah, the eighth, a herald of righteousness) (dikaiosynēs | δικαιοσύνης | gen sg fem) when he brought the deluge on an ungodly world;
2 Peter 2:21 For it would have been better for them never to have come to know the way of righteousness (dikaiosynēs | δικαιοσύνης | gen sg fem) than, having come to know it, to turn back from the holy commandment that was delivered to them.
2 Peter 3:13 But according to his promise we are waiting for new heavens and a new earth in which righteousness (dikaiosynē | δικαιοσύνη | nom sg fem) will be at home.
1 John 2:29 If you know that he is righteous, you also know that everyone who practices righteousness (dikaiosynēn | δικαιοσύνην | acc sg fem) has been born of him.
1 John 3:7 Little children, let no one deceive you. Whoever makes it a practice to do what is right (dikaiosynēn | δικαιοσύνην | acc sg fem) is righteous, just as he is righteous.
1 John 3:10 By this the children of God and the children of the devil are revealed: whoever does not practice righteousness (dikaiosynēn | δικαιοσύνην | acc sg fem) is not of God, nor is the one who does not love his brother.
Revelation 19:11 Then I saw heaven opened, and behold, a white horse! The one riding it is called Faithful and True, and with justice (dikaiosynē | δικαιοσύνῃ | dat sg fem) he judges and makes war.
Revelation 22:11 Let the evildoer continue to do evil, and the filthy be filthy still; let the righteous continue to act righteously (dikaiosynēn | δικαιοσύνην | acc sg fem), and the holy be holy still.”
0 x
Bootstrap

Post by Bootstrap »

Falco Knotwise wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2023 8:53 pm One Bible translation gives Matthew 6:1 as . . .

I don't think so. Here is the verse in an Interlinear:

https://biblehub.com/interlinear/matthew/6-1.htm

Here is the word:

https://biblehub.com/greek/1343.htm
dikaiosuné: righteousness, justice
Original Word: δικαιοσύνη, ης, ἡ
Part of Speech: Noun, Feminine
Transliteration: dikaiosuné
Phonetic Spelling: (dik-ah-yos-oo'-nay)
Definition: righteousness, justice
Usage: (usually if not always in a Jewish atmosphere), justice, justness, righteousness, righteousness of which God is the source or author, but practically: a divine righteousness.
In general, I don't encourage people to rely on Strong's Concordance definitions, since they just tell you how the King James translated the word.

Scroll down to Thayer's for better information on the word.
0 x
Bootstrap

Post by Bootstrap »

Let's look at the text carefully: We are supposed to practice righteousness. We are not supposed to do it in front of others in order to be seen by them. We are supposed to give to the needy ("so when you give to the needy ..."). We are supposed to pray. Both of these are acts of righteousness that we are called to do. But not to be seen by men.
6 “Be careful not to practice your righteousness in front of others to be seen by them. If you do, you will have no reward from your Father in heaven.

2 “So when you give to the needy, do not announce it with trumpets, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and on the streets, to be honored by others. Truly I tell you, they have received their reward in full. 3 But when you give to the needy, do not let your left hand know what your right hand is doing, 4 so that your giving may be in secret. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you.
Prayer

5 “And when you pray, do not be like the hypocrites, for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and on the street corners to be seen by others. Truly I tell you, they have received their reward in full. 6 But when you pray, go into your room, close the door and pray to your Father, who is unseen. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you. 7 And when you pray, do not keep on babbling like pagans, for they think they will be heard because of their many words. 8 Do not be like them, for your Father knows what you need before you ask him.
0 x
Falco Knotwise

Post by Falco Knotwise »

Strong’s Concordance
6:1 Take heed 4337 5720 that ye do 4160 5721 not 3361 your 5216 alms 1654 before 1715 men 444, to be seen 4314 2300 5683 of them 846: otherwise 1490 ye have 2192 5719 no 3756 reward 3408 of 3844 your 5216 Father 3962 which 3588 is in 1722 heaven 3772.(alms: or, righteousness)(of your: or, with your)
https://godrules.net/library/kjvstrongs ... gsmat6.htm

Go to 1654 —
word: elehmosunh

pronounce: el-eh-ay-mos-oo'-nay

Strongs Number: G1654

orig:compassionateness (as exercised towards the poor) beneficence, or (concretely) benefaction--alms(-deeds).

use:Noun Feminine

Heb Strong: H571 H2617 H6664 H6666

1) mercy, pity
1a) esp. as exhibited in giving alms, charity
2) the benefaction itself, a donation to the poor, alms
https://godrules.net/library/strongs2b/gre1654.htm
0 x
Bootstrap

Post by Bootstrap »

Falco Knotwise wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 4:10 pm Strong’s Concordance
6:1 Take heed 4337 5720 that ye do 4160 5721 not 3361 your 5216 alms 1654 before 1715 men 444, to be seen 4314 2300 5683 of them 846: otherwise 1490 ye have 2192 5719 no 3756 reward 3408 of 3844 your 5216 Father 3962 which 3588 is in 1722 heaven 3772.(alms: or, righteousness)(of your: or, with your)
https://godrules.net/library/kjvstrongs ... gsmat6.htm
Ah. They got the wrong Strong's number.
Falco Knotwise wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 4:10 pmGo to 1654 —
word: elehmosunh

pronounce: el-eh-ay-mos-oo'-nay
Yeah, that website messed up. 1654 does refer to elehmosunh, but that word does not occur in Matthew 6:1. It does occur in Matthew 6:2. And quite generally, that website doesn't seem to be designed by someone who understands Greek and is trying to give you a way to understand the sentences as they occur in Greek.

The Biblehub site correctly identifies the Greek words here. Click on the link and you can click through to a lexicon. Or click to enlarge the image if you just want to see the Strong's numbers.

https://biblehub.com/interlinear/matthew/6-1.htm
Screenshot 2023-10-03 at 16.30.15.png
https://biblehub.com/interlinear/matthew/6-2.htm
Screenshot 2023-10-03 at 16.30.35.png
0 x
Bootstrap

Post by Bootstrap »

Here is Vine's on this same word:

https://studybible.info/vines/Righteousness
Righteousness
[ 1,,G1343, dikaiosune ]
is the character or quality of being right or just;" it was formerly spelled "rightwiseness," which clearly expresses the meaning. It is used to denote an attribute of God, e.g., Romans 3:5, the context of which shows that "the righteousness of God" means essentially the same as His faithfulness, or truthfulness, that which is consistent with His own nature and promises; Romans 3:25-Romans 3:26 speaks of His "righteousness" as exhibited in the Death of Christ, which is sufficient to show men that God is neither indifferent to sin nor regards it lightly. On the contrary, it demonstrates that quality of holiness in Him which must find expression in His condemnation of sin.

"Dikaiosune is found in the sayings of the Lord Jesus,
(a) of whatever is right or just in itself, whatever conforms to the revealed will of God, Matthew 5:6, Matthew 5:10, Matthew 5:20; John 16:8, John 16:10;
(b) whatever has been appointed by God to be acknowledged and obeyed by man. Matthew 3:15; Matthew 21:32;
(c) the sum total of the requirements of God, Matthew 6:33;
(d) religious duties, Matthew 6:1 (distinguished as almsgiving, man's duty to his neighbor, Matthew 6:2-Matthew 6:4, prayer, his duty to God, Matthew 6:5-Matthew 6:15, fasting, the duty of self-control, Matthew 6:16-Matthew 6:18).

"In the preaching of the Apostles recorded in Acts the word has the same general meaning. So also in James 1:20; James 3:18, in both Epp. of Peter, 1st John and the Revelation. In 2 Peter 1:1, 'the righteousness of our God and Savior Jesus Christ,' is the righteous dealing of God with sin and with sinners on the ground of the Death of Christ. 'Word of righteousness,' Hebrews 5:13, is probably the gospel, and the Scriptures as containing the gospel, wherein is declared the righteousness of God in all its aspects.

"This meaning of dikaiosune, right action, is frequent also in Paul's writings, as in all five of its occurrences in Rom. 6; Ephesians 6:14, etc. But for the most part he uses it of that gracious gift of God to men whereby all who believe on the Lord Jesus Christ are brought into right relationship with God. This righteousness is unattainable by obedience to any law, or by any merit of man's own, or any other condition than that of faith in Christ ... The man who trusts in Christ becomes 'the righteousness of God in Him,' 2 Corinthians 5:21, i.e., becomes in Christ all that God requires a man to be, all that he could never be in himself. Because Abraham accepted the Word of God, making it his own by that act of the mind and spirit which is called faith, and, as the sequel showed, submitting himself to its control, therefore God accepted him as one who fulfilled the whole of His requirements, Romans 4:3. ...

"Righteousness is not said to be imputed to the believer save in the sense that faith is imputed ("reckoned' is the better word) for righteousness. It is clear that in Romans 4:6, Romans 4:11, 'righteousness reckoned' must be understood in the light of the context, 'faith reckoned for righteousness,' Romans 4:3, Romans 4:5, Romans 4:9, Romans 4:22. 'For' in these places is eis, which does not mean 'instead of,' but 'with a view to.' The faith thus exercised brings the soul into vital union with God in Christ, and inevitably produces righteousness of life, that is, conformity to the will of God." * [* From Notes on Galatians, by Hogg and Vine, pp. 246, 247.]
0 x