Are you a Pharisee?

General Christian Theology
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Are you a Pharisee?

Post by MaxPC »

Now that I have made you splutter your second cuppa:
This question is inspired by the NT thread wherein the tangent regarding washing one’s face while fasting received attention.

Honesty time: do you catch yourself lecturing, laying unreasonable burdens on others, or otherwise trying to be the biggest fish in the fish bowl?

I confess that during various periods of my life this has been a failing for me and a cause to repent.
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
Sudsy
Affiliation: Salvation Army

Re: Are you a Pharisee?

Post by Sudsy »

MaxPC wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2023 10:58 am Now that I have made you splutter your second cuppa:
This question is inspired by the NT thread wherein the tangent regarding washing one’s face while fasting received attention.

Honesty time: do you catch yourself lecturing, laying unreasonable burdens on others, or otherwise trying to be the biggest fish in the fish bowl?

I confess that during various periods of my life this has been a failing for me and a cause to repent.
Am I a Pharisee ? I suspect as long as I'm alive there will be ways that I live that can be described as being a Pharisee. But if I'm being judged by another believer, they too could be crossing the line of being a Pharisee.

I thought this is a good, general explanation of a modern day Pharisee - 'a modern day “Pharisee” is someone who follows the impulse to be seen as righteous by obeying certain laws, while ignoring more important matters of the heart.' Jesus pointed out to them that these more important matters involve justice, mercy and faithfulness - Matthew 23:23.

It's a good study on what all Jesus had to say to the Pharisees. What am I treating as an important matter that Jesus would not ? What am I ignoring that Jesus taught to be important ? Are these the right heart matters toward others and God or could they be matters of pride in just how I practise my own religion ?

And I doubt we all would ever agree on what is of high importance and what is not. For some here things like the a headcovering gets put as of high importance. Others may think evangelism is of high importance. Others, may regard foot washing as highly important. Not allowing women pastors as important and on and on it goes. Some of these Jesus spoke about, others He did not. Do we emphasize those He did talk about over those Paul and the apostles wrote about ? Is what I post on a forum have any holier-than-thou attitude behind it ?

Anyway, sounds like a good thread. Thanks Max.
1 x
Pursuing a Kingdom life in the Spirit
mennonitemom1
Affiliation: Christian

Post by mennonitemom1 »

I’m not anymore… but I definitely used to be
0 x
Valerie
Affiliation: non-denominational

Post by Valerie »

mennonitemom1 wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 3:20 am I’m not anymore… but I definitely used to be
I appreciate your admitting this and would love to hear your testimony your about the change if you wouldn't mind.
0 x