Prosperity gospel' trending upward for churchgoers

General Christian Theology
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

Your thoughts? Is it a symptom of the state of the economy?

0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Re: Prosperity gospel' trending upward for churchgoers

Post by Josh »

MaxPC wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2023 9:21 am Your thoughts? Is it a symptom of the state of the economy?

I hadn’t thought of that but that seems to be the case in impoverished third world countries - the “prosperity gospel” is popular in those places too. As America becomes more impoverished and third world, these kind of hucksters and frauds will stake out more space on the ecclesiastical landscape.
1 x
Sudsy
Affiliation: Salvation Army

Post by Sudsy »

MaxPC wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2023 9:21 am Your thoughts? Is it a symptom of the state of the economy?

I think it may be more of a means used to draw people to church as those who are not into prosperity teachings, mainline churches especially, are closing up. The attraction of having lots of worldly stuff is a carnal attraction and not one for those who believe in laying up for themselves treasures in heaven. A prosperous soul now is one who is walking in the Spirit and enjoying that abundant life that has nothing to do with material gain.

I take a look at the early church and see very few described as seeking worldly gain and many ending up as martyrs. When you point this out the prosperity believers quickly refer back to the OT and people like Job, Abraham, Solomon, etc. It is all about being rewarded here and now.

However, some who are not believers that all Christians should be prosperous in material stuff, also have trouble with the scripture that we should be laying up for ourselves treasures in heaven and that we should pursue that. I don't understand that view.

I thought this was a good article on the subject -
https://ca.thegospelcoalition.org/artic ... in-heaven/
0 x
Pursuing a Kingdom life in the Spirit
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

I know this is not a new phenomenon. Decades and decades ago there was a term used: “rice Christian”. I think you will find it interesting if you research the origins of that term.
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
Sudsy
Affiliation: Salvation Army

Post by Sudsy »

MaxPC wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2023 9:10 pm I know this is not a new phenomenon. Decades and decades ago there was a term used: “rice Christian”. I think you will find it interesting if you research the origins of that term.
That was a new one for me. In all my years, I never heard that term before or it is another memory issue. :)

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rice_Christian
1 x
Pursuing a Kingdom life in the Spirit
barnhart
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by barnhart »

I'm reminded of the Cargo Cults that formed in isolated Pacific islands after contact with industrial civilization during WW2. The weaker society pursues the wealth and power of the stronger society by adapting some of their activities or style into local lore and local worship customs. The more isolated the poor or neglected feel from mainstream success and power, the more attractive magical thinking becomes.
0 x