Posting Sermons Online

General Christian Theology
mike
Affiliation: Conservative Menno

Re: Posting Sermons Online

Post by mike »

Sometimes a pastor or teacher has something to say to the local gathering as part of a sermon or teaching session that may or may not be understood by or appropriate for a wider audience. Such things don't seem right to broadcast on the Internet.
0 x
Remember the prisoners, as though you were in prison with them, and the mistreated, as though you yourselves were suffering bodily. -Heb. 13:3
Sudsy
Affiliation: Salvation Army

Post by Sudsy »

To my previous 'Amen !' - However, we would probably disagree that all of these instructions within a local church are still applicable today. They were in Paul's day. Where I disagree would be about women remaining silent. I was raised with a lady pastor and her Bible teaching and street preaching brought and guided many to serving the Lord including my whole family. The local church was primarily used throughout the week to build up the saints. However, the Sunday evening service was geared to being evangelistic and we brought our unsaved friends where many heard the Gospel preached and were born again.

The MB church I attended had women in various leadership roles and now have women pastors also. This church primarily taught the saints and evangelism was to be out in the world where sinners habit or in the church when special evangelistic meetings were held such as the 'Alpha Course'. Sometimes seekers would join a home Bible study group and through these they became believers.

Back to the pros and cons. I love the ability to select teachers online over TV and radio. That is a pro for me. However, it doesn't provide fellowship with other believers. The Internet with these forums though does even if it is not face to face. Currently, these forums is my fellowship and compared to the fellowship I was having attending a local church, it provides more conversation on spiritual things. Sometimes trying to discuss spiritual things with church going folk at church doesn't go over well. The fellowship is mostly focused on much of the same things the world takes interest in - the job, politics, raising a family, vacations, etc.
1 x
Pursuing a Kingdom life in the Spirit
ken_sylvania
Affiliation: CM

Post by ken_sylvania »

Sudsy wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 11:37 am To my previous 'Amen !' - However, we would probably disagree that all of these instructions within a local church are still applicable today. They were in Paul's day. Where I disagree would be about women remaining silent. I was raised with a lady pastor and her Bible teaching and street preaching brought and guided many to serving the Lord including my whole family. The local church was primarily used throughout the week to build up the saints. However, the Sunday evening service was geared to being evangelistic and we brought our unsaved friends where many heard the Gospel preached and were born again.

The MB church I attended had women in various leadership roles and now have women pastors also. This church primarily taught the saints and evangelism was to be out in the world where sinners habit or in the church when special evangelistic meetings were held such as the 'Alpha Course'. Sometimes seekers would join a home Bible study group and through these they became believers.

Back to the pros and cons. I love the ability to select teachers online over TV and radio. That is a pro for me. However, it doesn't provide fellowship with other believers. The Internet with these forums though does even if it is not face to face. Currently, these forums is my fellowship and compared to the fellowship I was having attending a local church, it provides more conversation on spiritual things. Sometimes trying to discuss spiritual things with church going folk at church doesn't go over well. The fellowship is mostly focused on much of the same things the world takes interest in - the job, politics, raising a family, vacations, etc.
Isn't it nice that you are wiser than Paul and Peter and can discern which of their instructions are still relevant and which are no longer applicable.
0 x
Sudsy

Post by Sudsy »

ken_sylvania wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 11:43 am
Sudsy wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 11:37 am To my previous 'Amen !' - However, we would probably disagree that all of these instructions within a local church are still applicable today. They were in Paul's day. Where I disagree would be about women remaining silent. I was raised with a lady pastor and her Bible teaching and street preaching brought and guided many to serving the Lord including my whole family. The local church was primarily used throughout the week to build up the saints. However, the Sunday evening service was geared to being evangelistic and we brought our unsaved friends where many heard the Gospel preached and were born again.

Isn't it nice that you are wiser than Paul and Peter and can discern which of their instructions are still relevant and which are no longer applicable.
Yes, that is why we are given the Holy Spirit to guide us into all truth. ;)
0 x
RZehr
Affiliation: Cons. Mennonite

Post by RZehr »

It is not strange to me, to hear that these lady preachers disregarded Paul’s instruction, and they taught you to do the same.
0 x
Sudsy

Post by Sudsy »

RZehr wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 11:48 am

It is not strange to me, to hear that these lady preachers disregarded Paul’s instruction, and they taught you to do the same.
Anyone else caring to cast a stone ?
0 x
mike

Post by mike »

Sudsy wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 11:49 am
RZehr wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 11:48 am

Anyone else caring to cast a stone ?
I would rather not see this thread become yet another discussion of whether Paul's teachings matter for us today. This is a thread about posting sermons online.
0 x
Remember the prisoners, as though you were in prison with them, and the mistreated, as though you yourselves were suffering bodily. -Heb. 13:3
Sudsy

Post by Sudsy »

Agree so in case my previous paragraph was overlooked -
0 x
mike

Post by mike »

Sudsy wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 12:00 pm Agree so in case my previous paragraph was overlooked -
I saw it, and that response is useful for this discussion I think.

For those wanting good content to listen to, sermons posted online are definitely a help. And that would be one of the reasons for churches to post at least some content online. However, I think that church is about far more than just going in to listen to a sermon and then going back home. If that's all it is about, then yes, we may as well just stay home and listen or watch sermons instead.

But church is about community and living life together. And yes, that includes both secular and sacred. That's why it's perfectly fine in my opinion to get together with other believers and talk about topics like our jobs and families and vacations as well as spiritual topics. The church is a real community of people, not a bunch of viewers in front of a screen or a guy at the podium.
2 x
Soloist
Affiliation: CM Seeker

Post by Soloist »

mike wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 12:19 pm But church is about community and living life together. And yes, that includes both secular and sacred. That's why it's perfectly fine in my opinion to get together with other believers and talk about topics like our jobs and families and vacations as well as spiritual topics. The church is a real community of people, not a bunch of viewers in front of a screen or a guy at the podium.
The problem is it takes potentially years for a NMB to actually find that community. It might seem like community at first but after the excitement of new fades, what is left?
0 x
Soloist, but I hate singing alone
Soloist, but my wife posts with me
Soloist, but I believe in community
Soloist, but I want God in the pilot seat