Doctrine, Theology, Stories

General Christian Theology
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Re: Doctrine, Theology, Stories

Post by Josh »

I'm not sure I'd agree with those definitions of "doctrine" and "theology".

For example, the "Monroe Doctrine" means the idea that European governments shouldn't interfere in conflicts or politics in the Americas. That doesn't have anything to do with Bible teachings.
0 x
lesterb
Affiliation: Western Fellowship

Post by lesterb »

I've spent too much time on this website already. I think I have it basically working now, and I won't be spending much more time on it for now. I have to get back to writing.

For anyone who missed it, here is the link again.
0 x
lesterb

Post by lesterb »

Josh wrote:I'm not sure I'd agree with those definitions of "doctrine" and "theology".

For example, the "Monroe Doctrine" means the idea that European governments shouldn't interfere in conflicts or politics in the Americas. That doesn't have anything to do with Bible teachings.
I'm talking about Bible doctrine, not political doctrine. A doctrine is a teaching. Bible doctrine is Bible teaching.
0 x
ohio jones
Affiliation: Rosedale Network

Post by ohio jones »

As I see it, doctrine can encompass teaching on any subject, and Bible doctrine any teaching on subjects related to the Bible, but theology is specifically related to doctrine about God. So the subject of modesty, for example, would involve doctrine but not theology; atonement would involve both doctrine and theology. Those distinctions often get blurred through casual use, though.
0 x
I grew up around Indiana, You grew up around Galilee; And if I ever really do grow up, I wanna grow up to be just like You -- Rich Mullins

I am a Christian and my name is Pilgram; I'm on a journey, but I'm not alone -- NewSong, slightly edited
Josh

Post by Josh »

Even Bible doctrines (as in doctrines on biblical topics) can be false. The Bible itself has a reference to "doctrines of demons". I think of "doctrine" as simply meaning "teaching".
0 x
Paul
Affiliation:

Post by Paul »

ohio jones wrote:As I see it, doctrine can encompass teaching on any subject, and Bible doctrine any teaching on subjects related to the Bible, but theology is specifically related to doctrine about God. So the subject of modesty, for example, would involve doctrine but not theology; atonement would involve both doctrine and theology. Those distinctions often get blurred through casual use, though.
Nice explanation, indeed theology is the study of God, I think theos is God and logos is knowledge, but I would need to google that to be sure. And yes doctrine is simply teaching, and there are alot of false teachings out there. Which can be considered doctrines of demons, since demons want to falsify and twist the truth of Gods Word.
0 x
lesterb

Post by lesterb »

I agree with all of this, but in practical terms, theology usually means a system of thought created by a man about a Bible Doctrine. That isn't the dictionary definition, but it is how people like Augustine and Calvin operated.
0 x
Josh

Post by Josh »

lesterb wrote:I agree with all of this, but in practical terms, theology usually means a system of thought created by a man about a Bible Doctrine. That isn't the dictionary definition, but it is how people like Augustine and Calvin operated.
I would narrow that to the term "systematic theology". The truth is, anytime we are writing/speaking things other than directly quoting the scriptures, we're sharing our systems of thoughts about the Bible.
0 x
Sudsy
Affiliation: Salvation Army

Post by Sudsy »

Off the top of my head - to me, doctrine is a set of interpretations of scriptures using a certain method and it varies by Christian group. Theology is more of how I understand God and will be an influence on my doctrine. Stories in the NT are ways of helping to explain truths so we get our doctrines right.

I think the way we view the character of God has a huge impact on how we derive some of our doctrines and practises.
0 x
Pursuing a Kingdom life in the Spirit
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by Bootstrap »

Hmmm, I wonder how many people could say what they think doctrine is, what they think theology is, and how they differ. My guess is that most couldn't. I'm not sure I could.

Not even after checking Theopedia on doctrine and theology.

I have a pretty good idea what stories are, though.
0 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?