The Lord's Supper

General Christian Theology
ohio jones
Affiliation: Rosedale Network

Re: The Lord's Supper

Post by ohio jones »

As I see it, here's what Jesus did with the four cups of Passover:

The first two cups were the normal Passover observance.
The third cup -- after suppr -- was "the new testament in my blood."
Jesus didn't drink the fourth cup of the Passover (Matt. 26:29, John 18:11, Matt. 27:34). Actually he cut the Passover ceremony short to go out to the Mount of Olives. He was the fourth cup, a drink offering similar to the language Paul uses in 2 Tim. 4:6.
3 x
I grew up around Indiana, You grew up around Galilee; And if I ever really do grow up, I wanna grow up to be just like You -- Rich Mullins

I am a Christian and my name is Pilgram; I'm on a journey, but I'm not alone -- NewSong, slightly edited
RZehr
Affiliation: Cons. Mennonite

Post by RZehr »

I believe that Judas was there for most, but not all of the evening. He left.

And I think the takeaway should not be that it doesn’t matter if sinful people partake, but instead the takeaway should be that Judas ate and drank damnation to himself. And likewise anyone who partakes unworthily.
3 x
NedFlanders
Affiliation: CA

Post by NedFlanders »

Now those replies look like they harmonize with scripture.
0 x
Psalms 119:2 Blessed are they that keep his testimonies, and that seek him with the whole heart.
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

The two posts below are essentially how Catholic World views these passages. YMMV
RZehr wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 11:34 am I believe that Judas was there for most, but not all of the evening. He left.

And I think the takeaway should not be that it doesn’t matter if sinful people partake, but instead the takeaway should be that Judas ate and drank damnation to himself. And likewise anyone who partakes unworthily.
AND
ohio jones wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 11:28 am As I see it, here's what Jesus did with the four cups of Passover:

The first two cups were the normal Passover observance.
The third cup -- after suppr -- was "the new testament in my blood."
Jesus didn't drink the fourth cup of the Passover (Matt. 26:29, John 18:11, Matt. 27:34). Actually he cut the Passover ceremony short to go out to the Mount of Olives. He was the fourth cup, a drink offering similar to the language Paul uses in 2 Tim. 4:6.
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God