Why Black ?

General Christian Theology
Sudsy
Affiliation: Salvation Army

Why Black ?

Post by Sudsy »

I was painting over a white metal fence today and making it black so it would disappear more in the setting it was in, when I got to thinking about the colour black and how it is used by some Christians in their Christian practise and I began to ponder why.

The colour black is normally associated with death, darkness, evil, lostness, those kind of things. Whereas the colour white is most often associated with the opposite like life, light, purity, cleanliness those kind of things.

The Revelation speaks often of being clothed in white robes and riding white horses. When Jesus was transfigured His garments became white. Angels appear to men often in white robes. Actually Eccl. 9:8a says to 'Let your clothes be white all the time'. I suppose one could start a new church group on this verse.

Black is sometimes associated with expensive cars that royality often rides in. It is not regarded as a poor man's colour for a vehicle. And God made a world full of many colours.

So why black ? Was this colour to represent holiness or something else ? And if so, what is the scriptural support for tying black into some Christian practises ? I would think black is a poor colour to represent Christianity. White seems to me to be a much better colour for various reasons.

For starters, can anyone explain why some Anabaptists insist on driving black cars ?
0 x
Pursuing a Kingdom life in the Spirit
Valerie
Affiliation: non-denominational

Re: Why Black ?

Post by Valerie »

In some, as you mention "death" it means "death to the world"
Weren't all cars black originally? Then different colors came out, so to avoid worldliness, pride?
0 x
Biblical Anabaptist
Affiliation: Unaffiliated Menno

Post by Biblical Anabaptist »

The Model T was the first affordable vehicle for the common person. Henry Ford supposedly said a customer can get it in any color they want so long it is black. I think the "black car" thing hearkens back to that era.
0 x
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Post by Ken »

0 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr
Pelerin
Affiliation:

Post by Pelerin »

Sudsy wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 7:08 pmAnd if so, what is the scriptural support for tying black into some Christian practises ?

For starters, can anyone explain why some Anabaptists insist on driving black cars ?
What did you have in mind besides cars? Vehicles aside, what else do Anabaptists use that’s notably black?
0 x
ohio jones
Affiliation: Rosedale Network

Post by ohio jones »

Pelerin wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 9:47 pm Vehicles aside, what else do Anabaptists use that’s notably black?
Don't some groups prescribe black footwear and hosiery?
And then there are the Amish black box phones.
0 x
I grew up around Indiana, You grew up around Galilee; And if I ever really do grow up, I wanna grow up to be just like You -- Rich Mullins

I am a Christian and my name is Pilgram; I'm on a journey, but I'm not alone -- NewSong, slightly edited
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Post by Ken »

Pelerin wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 9:47 pmWhat did you have in mind besides cars? Vehicles aside, what else do Anabaptists use that’s notably black?
0 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr
Valerie
Affiliation: non-denominational

Post by Valerie »

Ken wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2023 12:33 am
Pelerin wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 9:47 pmWhat did you have in mind besides cars? Vehicles aside, what else do Anabaptists use that’s notably black?
I see what appears to be Swartzentruber or similar Amish in these photos that would be Amish funeral attire which it has been customary for people to wear black at funerals. We have these Amish in our county but day to day the men wear blue, the women wear several darker colors reserving black for funerals- I know many Amish women. In some groups would wear black dresses with white apronsro church, the girls as well, men wearing black, but non during the regular week days.

Think Catholic & EO, and some others, nuns, monks, clergy- black being symbolic. White is too.

Amish in Holmes County OH began wearing much brighter colors last several years except extremely conservative still wearing darkshades of green, purple, blue, & brown.

Some have stated the brighter colors as loud & causing attention. Interesting perspectives.

I can't say I see any Mennonite groups in Holmes County wearing black. We have horse & buggy Mennonites not too far from us, don't see them wearing black.

Seems the vehicle whether buggy or car, it's to avoid worldly pride & attention?

Johnny Cash, the man in black.
White in heaven would make sense. I've seen Nuns wear white or black.
0 x
Pelerin
Affiliation:

Post by Pelerin »

ohio jones wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 11:40 pm
Pelerin wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 9:47 pm Vehicles aside, what else do Anabaptists use that’s notably black?
Don't some groups prescribe black footwear and hosiery?
And then there are the Amish black box phones.
I had started making a list of some possibilities but it ended up being pretty much about clothes. I had gotten:

Some headcoverings—but they might just as often be white and I don’t think I’ve ever heard anyone argue that they should be one or the other for theological reasons.
Most suits—but black is the standard suit color anyway. So that doesn’t really get us anywhere.
Some hats
Can’t say hosiery is really my expertise and I hadn’t thought of shoes.

Anyway to me none of these things really seem on the same level as black cars. If you’re going to prescribe a car color, it’s going to be black and you might even have strong feelings about that.

You could also start a list of white things:

If you’re going to prescribe a house color it’s going to be white.
If there’s only one men’s shirt color in church, it’s white.
Some headcoverings…
0 x
Sudsy
Affiliation: Salvation Army

Post by Sudsy »

Ken wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 7:59 pm A brief history of car colors: https://www.consumerreports.org/consume ... oring-now/
Interesting read. Colour for cars then is a moving target as to what currently is most appealing to car buyers. So, I guess sticking with one colour, black, is perhaps regarded as not trying to keep up with the trends in the world, which some understand as worldliness. On the other hand, the colour black is associated more with death and one could suggest that scripturally speaking a believer should primarily be recognized by life not death.

Yes, scripture says that we are to die to sin but also to rise to new and abundant life. When I look at the fruit of the Spirit, those characteristics speak to me of life. So how is new life best presented to unbelievers ?

Jesus said our lives are to be a light in this world of darkness. Shining this light, Jesus says, is in doing good deeds. He really didn't suggest wearing any specific colour. I have never seen Jesus portrayed in wearing black but often in white. White clothing in scripture pictures purity. White robes is the dress colour in heaven. Then it would seem to me, if a Christian was to chose a colour that best represents Jesus, it would be white. Seems strange to me that I always have seen the Pope dressed in white and the nuns dressed primarily in black. Cardinals dress in red and, to me, red would be the next best colour to white representing the blood Jesus shed for our sins. However, my guess, is a red car might even be frowned upon by some in some non-black car churches.

When it comes to clothing, the NT speaks about the clothing God is most interested in as found in these verses -

1 Peter 3:3,4 - the unfading beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit
1 Tim 2:9-10 - with good deeds
Colossians 3:12 - clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience

Back to black cars, if the reason for black is to be less worldly, I wonder if any who drive black cars to avoid worldliness have the new matte black finish and/or the latest black tires, rims and hubs. As far as trends are in colours, I like some of the matte finishes with black rims and little to no crome. This, to me, is more 'plain' but in a dressy, attractive way. Perhaps black is considered by some in their being 'plain' regardless of current worldly trends.
0 x
Pursuing a Kingdom life in the Spirit