Why Black ?

General Christian Theology
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Re: Why Black ?

Post by Ken »

Sudsy wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2023 8:35 am
Ken wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 7:59 pm A brief history of car colors: https://www.consumerreports.org/consume ... oring-now/
Interesting read. Colour for cars then is a moving target as to what currently is most appealing to car buyers. So, I guess sticking with one colour, black, is perhaps regarded as not trying to keep up with the trends in the world, which some understand as worldliness. On the other hand, the colour black is associated more with death and one could suggest that scripturally speaking a believer should primarily be recognized by life not death.

Yes, scripture says that we are to die to sin but also to rise to new and abundant life. When I look at the fruit of the Spirit, those characteristics speak to me of life. So how is new life best presented to unbelievers ?

Jesus said our lives are to be a light in this world of darkness. Shining this light, Jesus says, is in doing good deeds. He really didn't suggest wearing any specific colour. I have never seen Jesus portrayed in wearing black but often in white. White clothing in scripture pictures purity. White robes is the dress colour in heaven. Then it would seem to me, if a Christian was to chose a colour that best represents Jesus, it would be white. Seems strange to me that I always have seen the Pope dressed in white and the nuns dressed primarily in black. Cardinals dress in red and, to me, red would be the next best colour to white representing the blood Jesus shed for our sins. However, my guess, is a red car might even be frowned upon by some in some non-black car churches.

When it comes to clothing, the NT speaks about the clothing God is most interested in as found in these verses -

1 Peter 3:3,4 - the unfading beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit
1 Tim 2:9-10 - with good deeds
Colossians 3:12 - clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience

Back to black cars, if the reason for black is to be less worldly, I wonder if any who drive black cars to avoid worldliness have the new matte black finish and/or the latest black tires, rims and hubs. As far as trends are in colours, I like some of the matte finishes with black rims and little to no crome. This, to me, is more 'plain' but in a dressy, attractive way. Perhaps black is considered by some in their being 'plain' regardless of current worldly trends.
The ironic thing is that today the most expensive cars on the road tend to be colorless. They are either black, white, or shades of grey. Check out the photos of any red carpet event of rich celebrities and all the expensive cars and limos dropping people off are black. Whereas the cheapest cars tend to be in lots of different bright colors. Probably because they are marketed to young people who might like bright colors.

This is the opposite of the early days of the automobile when black was the standard and bright colors were the new expensive look that came out with the new Dupont paints in the 1920s. So today here
0 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr
Praxis+Theodicy
Affiliation: Seeker

Post by Praxis+Theodicy »

The reason for black is plain culture. There are some Amish that wear only black, or the women wear only black dresses. I heard a story of a seeker joining an Amish church and dying her dresses black, but the flower print dyed differently, so it was different shades of black with black flower print. The reason black is chosen instead of white is probably practical: it's easier to keep black clothes clean and neat. White clothes stain easily.

Black cars, as was mentioned, was to remain plain and humble in their property. Back in the days, all cars were black. When colored cars were developed, they were novel, flashy, expensive. No one got a colored car unless they wanted to flaunt their wealth in some way. So plain churches said "We won't do that; we'll stick with the default color, black." This is consistent with biblical principles of plain and humble living.

The problem was obviously not in observing the Biblical principle, it was the manner of application. Instead of saying "This will be our practice in response to this thing the world is doing," they said "Let's make a rule with no mention to why we're doing it" this makes it impossible for future generations to freely rethink this rule and still remain true to the biblical principle.

Basically, saying "The world is doing this thing and it's against the spirit of Christ" is a good reason to stubbornly and humbly do the opposite. But what happens when the world stops doing that thing? When colored vehicles are no longer a sign of pride, wealth, and ostentation, why keep stubbornly and humbly (or is it now pridefully) doing the opposite?
2 x
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

The short answer is that colourful dyes used to be expensive until fairly recently.
0 x
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Post by Ken »

Praxis+Theodicy wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 11:04 amBasically, saying "The world is doing this thing and it's against the spirit of Christ" is a good reason to stubbornly and humbly do the opposite. But what happens when the world stops doing that thing? When colored vehicles are no longer a sign of pride, wealth, and ostentation, why keep stubbornly and humbly (or is it now pridefully) doing the opposite?
Because it becomes part of cultural and group identity.
0 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr
steve-in-kville
Affiliation: Hippie Anabaptist

Post by steve-in-kville »

The issue with conservative groups and their cars baffles me a bit. I had an EPMC employer years ago. His son bought a low milage Saturn that was wrecked and he spent the winter getting it road worthy. Met all the criteria, four doors, no spoiler, etc. Painted it a modest color. Drove it to church for the first time.

The next week he got a visit from the bishop. They wanted him to trade the car off for another one. The reason? Saturn was still a new brand and the powers that be deemed it too wordly.

True story.
0 x
I self-identify as a conspiracy theorist. My pronouns are told/you/so.

Owner/admin at https://milepost81.com/
For parents, railfans, and much more!
Josh

Post by Josh »

steve-in-kville wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 12:50 pm The issue with conservative groups and their cars baffles me a bit. I had an EPMC employer years ago. His son bought a low milage Saturn that was wrecked and he spent the winter getting it road worthy. Met all the criteria, four doors, no spoiler, etc. Painted it a modest color. Drove it to church for the first time.

The next week he got a visit from the bishop. They wanted him to trade the car off for another one. The reason? Saturn was still a new brand and the powers that be deemed it too wordly.

True story.
I really need to get to know more of these types of Mennonites who sometimes have to "fire sale" their vehicles. For example, someone bought a rather used semitruck (1996 era) in a Nationwide church around here, but it had some pinstripes on it, and he ended up being asked to sell it. It sold for a very good deal (although, as expected, it had had the living daylights driven out of it and the motor and transmission were worn out).
0 x
ohio jones
Affiliation: Rosedale Network

Post by ohio jones »

Praxis+Theodicy wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 11:04 am Basically, saying "The world is doing this thing and it's against the spirit of Christ" is a good reason to stubbornly and humbly do the opposite. But what happens when the world stops doing that thing? When colored vehicles are no longer a sign of pride, wealth, and ostentation, why keep stubbornly and humbly (or is it now pridefully) doing the opposite?
Or when the pendulum swings, and the world starts doing the same thing you're doing, and you keep right on doing it in order to be nonconformed to the world? This is the story (a century ago) of Mennos, the military, and mustaches.
2 x
I grew up around Indiana, You grew up around Galilee; And if I ever really do grow up, I wanna grow up to be just like You -- Rich Mullins

I am a Christian and my name is Pilgram; I'm on a journey, but I'm not alone -- NewSong, slightly edited
Joy
Affiliation: Baptist

Post by Joy »

Valerie wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 7:12 pm In some, as you mention "death" it means "death to the world"
Weren't all cars black originally? Then different colors came out, so to avoid worldliness, pride?
Henry Ford had cars painted black because black dried the fastest. :)
1 x
2Tim. 3:16,17 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works.
steve-in-kville
Affiliation: Hippie Anabaptist

Post by steve-in-kville »

Josh wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 2:00 pm

I really need to get to know more of these types of Mennonites who sometimes have to "fire sale" their vehicles. For example, someone bought a rather used semitruck (1996 era) in a Nationwide church around here, but it had some pinstripes on it, and he ended up being asked to sell it. It sold for a very good deal (although, as expected, it had had the living daylights driven out of it and the motor and transmission were worn out).
Same employer had a semi-truck that was UPS brown with a lighter pinstripe. Around here it was okay. They used it to take a load of supplies to a church plant in Texas... heads exploded. The strip was too flashy down there.
0 x
I self-identify as a conspiracy theorist. My pronouns are told/you/so.

Owner/admin at https://milepost81.com/
For parents, railfans, and much more!
Josh

Post by Josh »

ohio jones wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 2:17 pm
Praxis+Theodicy wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 11:04 am Basically, saying "The world is doing this thing and it's against the spirit of Christ" is a good reason to stubbornly and humbly do the opposite. But what happens when the world stops doing that thing? When colored vehicles are no longer a sign of pride, wealth, and ostentation, why keep stubbornly and humbly (or is it now pridefully) doing the opposite?
Or when the pendulum swings, and the world starts doing the same thing you're doing, and you keep right on doing it in order to be nonconformed to the world? This is the story (a century ago) of Mennos, the military, and mustaches.
Some of the elder brethren gripe that “you can’t tell who is a brother in an airport anymore based on the beard”.
0 x