Poll: Is it religious persecution... ???

General Christian Theology

In regards to the OP question...

Yes
No votes
No
75%
Not sure
6%
Other
19%

Total votes: 16

barnhart
Affiliation: Mennonite

Re: Poll: Is it religious persecution... ???

Post by barnhart »

AndersonD wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2023 11:21 pm
Ernie wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2023 9:41 pm
Bootstrap wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2023 6:39 pm To me, eye rolling doesn't seem to fit either definition. Do you think it does? Can you say more?
I think it depends on the context. To repeatedly discriminate against someone because of their religion (by rolling eyes and other things) is a mild form or persecution. When I was a youth, I couldn't handle even mild persecution. I know that many youth today will lose sleep if people roll their eyes too often or use other verbal or body language that says, you are not good enough for me because you come from the wrong church or look the wrong way.
I find this relatable and remember being booed by various groups - Beachy, Pilgrim and NC GB. It is a form of persecution I think but I learned to not take it personally. I have faced more ridicule from other plain groups than from the world.
Heartbreaking...
0 x
Ernie
Affiliation: Anabaptist Umbrella

Re: Poll: Is it religious persecution... ???

Post by Ernie »

AndersonD wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2023 11:21 pm
Ernie wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2023 9:41 pm I think it depends on the context. To repeatedly discriminate against someone because of their religion (by rolling eyes and other things) is a mild form or persecution. When I was a youth, I couldn't handle even mild persecution. I know that many youth today will lose sleep if people roll their eyes too often or use other verbal or body language that says, you are not good enough for me because you come from the wrong church or look the wrong way.
I find this relatable and remember being booed by various groups - Beachy, Pilgrim and NC GB. It is a form of persecution I think but I learned to not take it personally. I have faced more ridicule from other plain groups than from the world.
The mild persecution that I faced as a child was because of my dad's strict religious beliefs.

Then when I was 30, I was a dean for the Beachy Bible School and some "booed" me because I was ultra-conservative Mennonite instead of Beachy.

Later I joined the Beachy's and on various occasions I was urged to adopt their religious culture rather than keep my own. I'm very glad for that experience as it gave me a taste of what non-Anabaptist folks need to go through whenever they try joining a CA church.

The most recent mild persecution I have received has come from people who don't like my attempts at planting churches the way the apostles did.
0 x
The old woodcutter spoke again. “It is impossible to talk with you. You always draw conclusions. Life is so vast, yet you judge all of life with one page or one word. You see only a fragment. Unless you know the whole story, how can you judge?"