Milk vs. Meat

General Christian Theology
Chris
Affiliation: Moderate / unaffil

Re: Milk vs. Meat

Post by Chris »

Josh wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2023 6:26 pm I wish church could have a structure to teach about “meat” whilst still making sure plenty of “milk” is provided. We sort of do this with Sunday school.

Some are really craving more meat (like Chris).
Absolutely we provide milk too! But as an adult unlike a baby we could use some meat.

I often question if the milk is repeated because people sin and skirt the milk issues.
0 x
barnhart
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by barnhart »

I notice in the Corinthians passage, the mark of people not ready for solid food is quarreling over different views.
1 x
Valerie
Affiliation: non-denominational

Post by Valerie »

barnhart wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 8:33 am I notice in the Corinthians passage, the mark of people not ready for solid food is quarreling over different views.
Yes, I guess Church splits and setting would certainly mean to keep on milk
0 x
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

Evangelical Anabaptists are indoctrinated to think the Amish don’t teach born again salvation enough, so they think they need to constantly teach it.

Chris, perhaps you would find OO Amish services more interesting?
0 x
Soloist
Affiliation: CM Seeker

Post by Soloist »

Ironically I agree with Sudsy.
I don’t think arguing about history is meat but I do think that our conduct is much closer to meat.
In other words I think when Peter says
And beside this, giving all diligence, add to your faith virtue; and to virtue knowledge;
2Pe 1:6  And to knowledge temperance; and to temperance patience; and to patience godliness;
2Pe 1:7  And to godliness brotherly kindness; and to brotherly kindness charity.
2Pe 1:8  For if these things be in you, and abound, they make you that ye shall neither be barren nor unfruitful in the knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ.
I think this is a closer depiction of what meat looks like.
0 x
Soloist, but I hate singing alone
Soloist, but my wife posts with me
Soloist, but I believe in community
Soloist, but I want God in the pilot seat
Valerie

Post by Valerie »

Josh wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 9:25 am Evangelical Anabaptists are indoctrinated to think the Amish don’t teach born again salvation enough, so they think they need to constantly teach it.

It's extremely rare or at least used to be to find OO Amish Church Services in English. Our friend is joining OO Amish in December & gradually learning their language but that takes time!
0 x
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

Valerie wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 10:20 am
Josh wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 9:25 am Evangelical Anabaptists are indoctrinated to think the Amish don’t teach born again salvation enough, so they think they need to constantly teach it.

It's extremely rare or at least used to be to find OO Amish Church Services in English. Our friend is joining OO Amish in December & gradually learning their language but that takes time!
Perhaps learning German is the price of intellectual stimulation.
0 x
Valerie

Post by Valerie »

Josh wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 2:17 pm

Certainly but if you're suggestion to Chris to go to a non boring Church is OO Amish, it may be more boring to go week after week not knowing what they're singing/saying for quite some time.
1 x
ohio jones
Affiliation: Rosedale Network

Post by ohio jones »

Valerie wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 3:09 pm
Valerie wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 10:20 am It's extremely rare or at least used to be to find OO Amish Church Services in English. Our friend is joining OO Amish in December & gradually learning their language but that takes time!
Certainly but if you're suggestion to Chris to go to a non boring Church is OO Amish, it may be more boring to go week after week not knowing what they're singing/saying for quite some time.
There's always Google Translate. 8-)
0 x
I grew up around Indiana, You grew up around Galilee; And if I ever really do grow up, I wanna grow up to be just like You -- Rich Mullins

I am a Christian and my name is Pilgram; I'm on a journey, but I'm not alone -- NewSong, slightly edited
Chris
Affiliation: Moderate / unaffil

Post by Chris »

I'll stick to truth and mucking through false teachings such as the rejection of Jesus's hypostatic human and God nature within the Trinity ++ from the flesh with Mary. In other words, we don't discuss the Celestial flesh heresy enough. This is something that many Christians are misled by.

We have plenty of intellectual stimulation without having to learn other languages. That is meat, to understand who Jesus Christ really is, where he comes from, and how he relates to God.
0 x