When are we lying ?

General Christian Theology
Grace
Affiliation: Mennonite

Re: When are we lying ?

Post by Grace »

steve-in-kville wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 5:07 am

There is such a thing as literary exaggeration. We all do it. For example, if a storm is moving in and the sky gets really dark, one might say that the sky is getting really black to the northwest. Is the sky truly black? No, its just getting dark.

I'm told I make for a good storyteller, and yes, I've been known to embellish. But not in a way to deceive anyone, but to entertain. Once I make it big doing standup comedy, It'll all come out in the wash.
II can think of many more exaggerations/hyperbole.

It is raining cats and dogs.
I am so hungry I could eat a horse.
The room got so silent you could hear a pin drop.
I have a ton of papers to grade.
The groceries this week cost us an arm and a leg.
His parents are going to kill him when they find out.
He knocked it out of the park with that speech.
I love you to the moon and back.
0 x
Grace
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by Grace »

Valerie wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 8:57 pm
And then there's Rahab who actually did lie which saved Jews and made her noteworthy. As in a hero so to speak.
There are many instances where people lied in the Old Testament. Even instances where the Lord put lying spirits in the people

1 Kings 22:23:
“So now the Lord has put a deceiving spirit in the mouths of all these prophets of yours. The Lord has decreed disaster for you.”

2 Chronicles 18:14
"Now therefore, behold, the Lord hath put a lying spirit in the mouth of these thy prophets, and the Lord hath spoken evil against thee."
0 x
Valerie
Affiliation: non-denominational

Post by Valerie »

Grace wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 7:36 am
And then there's Rahab who actually did lie which saved Jews and made her noteworthy. As in a hero so to speak.
There are many instances where people lied in the Old Testament. Even instances where the Lord put lying spirits in the people

1 Kings 22:23:
“So now the Lord has put a deceiving spirit in the mouths of all these prophets of yours. The Lord has decreed disaster for you.”

2 Chronicles 18:14
"Now therefore, behold, the Lord hath put a lying spirit in the mouth of these thy prophets, and the Lord hath spoken evil against thee."
Yes but in the case of Rahab, it seems it is looked upon as it was the right thing to do and saved her as well-
0 x
Sudsy
Affiliation: Salvation Army

Post by Sudsy »

So what about overstatements ? I tend to think both exaggeration and overstatements can be border line lying.

When we use words like 'always' , 'constantly', 'never' and we know that in fact these are not to be taken literally but for emphasis we use them to make our point more powerful, we overstate the situation. Is this lying ?

Should a Christian be using exaggerated terms like those in quotes above as they present a situation as if there it is something that is beyond question when in reality, it is not ?
0 x
Pursuing a Kingdom life in the Spirit
steve-in-kville
Affiliation: Hippie Anabaptist

Post by steve-in-kville »

Sudsy wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 8:31 am So what about overstatements ? I tend to think both exaggeration and overstatements can be border line lying.

When we use words like 'always' , 'constantly', 'never' and we know that in fact these are not to be taken literally but for emphasis we use them to make our point more powerful, we overstate the situation. Is this lying ?

Should a Christian be using exaggerated terms like those in quotes above as they present a situation as if there it is something that is beyond question when in reality, it is not ?
So if I say that something costs a bajillion dollars, id that actually lying? 8-)
0 x
I self-identify as a conspiracy theorist. My pronouns are told/you/so.

Owner/admin at https://milepost81.com/
For parents, railfans, and much more!
Sudsy

Post by Sudsy »

Grace wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 7:24 am
steve-in-kville wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 5:07 am

There is such a thing as literary exaggeration. We all do it. For example, if a storm is moving in and the sky gets really dark, one might say that the sky is getting really black to the northwest. Is the sky truly black? No, its just getting dark.

I'm told I make for a good storyteller, and yes, I've been known to embellish. But not in a way to deceive anyone, but to entertain. Once I make it big doing standup comedy, It'll all come out in the wash.
II can think of many more exaggerations/hyperbole.

It is raining cats and dogs.
I am so hungry I could eat a horse.
The room got so silent you could hear a pin drop.
I have a ton of papers to grade.
The groceries this week cost us an arm and a leg.
His parents are going to kill him when they find out.
He knocked it out of the park with that speech.
I love you to the moon and back.
I think these are called idioms. An idiom is 'a group of words with a figurative, non-literal meaning which can't be deciphered by looking at its individual words.'
0 x
Joy
Affiliation: Baptist

Post by Joy »

Valerie wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 8:14 am
Grace wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 7:36 am

...in the case of Rahab, it seems it is looked upon as it was the right thing to do and saved her as well-
She made the faith chapter, proving her faith by her works, when great people you would expect to be, aren't mentioned there, like Josiah, Hezekiah, or Ruth.

By faith the harlot Rahab perished not with them that believed not, when she had received the spies with peace. [Heb 11:31 KJV]

Likewise also was not Rahab the harlot justified by works, when she had received the messengers, and had sent them out another way? [Jas 2:25 KJV]
0 x
2Tim. 3:16,17 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works.
Joy
Affiliation: Baptist

Post by Joy »

Then there is Jesus with the two disciples, when He knew He was going to stay a while with them:

And they drew nigh unto the village, whither they went: and he made as though he would have gone further. [Luk 24:28 KJV]
But they constrained him, saying, Abide with us: for it is toward evening, and the day is far spent. And he went in to tarry with them. [Luk 24:29 KJV]

Obviously no wrongdoing there.
0 x
2Tim. 3:16,17 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works.
Sudsy

Post by Sudsy »

steve-in-kville wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 9:31 am
Sudsy wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 8:31 am So what about overstatements ? I tend to think both exaggeration and overstatements can be border line lying.

So if I say that something costs a bajillion dollars, id that actually lying? 8-)
I don't think so because bajillion is defined as 'an extremely large but unspecified number, quantity, or amount:'
0 x
Sudsy

Post by Sudsy »

Joy wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 9:53 am Then there is Jesus with the two disciples, when He knew He was going to stay a while with them:

And they drew nigh unto the village, whither they went: and he made as though he would have gone further. [Luk 24:28 KJV]
But they constrained him, saying, Abide with us: for it is toward evening, and the day is far spent. And he went in to tarry with them. [Luk 24:29 KJV]

Obviously no wrongdoing there.
It is interesting how 'he made as though he would have' is put in some other versions -

'acted as if' - ESV
'seemed to be' - Berean Standard
'He indicated that He would' - NKJV
'Jesus seemed to be' - CEV
'He gave the impression' - New American Bible
'He appeared to be'- - Weymouth NT

So was Jesus being purposely deceptive or did they mistake His actions and tried to keep Him with them ? Or is the NKJV right that He indicated somehow that He would have gone further and they didn't want Him to go ?
0 x