When are we lying ?

General Christian Theology
steve-in-kville
Affiliation: Hippie Anabaptist

Re: When are we lying ?

Post by steve-in-kville »

Sudsy wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 9:54 am
steve-in-kville wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 9:31 am
Sudsy wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 8:31 am So what about overstatements ? I tend to think both exaggeration and overstatements can be border line lying.

When we use words like 'always' , 'constantly', 'never' and we know that in fact these are not to be taken literally but for emphasis we use them to make our point more powerful, we overstate the situation. Is this lying ?

Should a Christian be using exaggerated terms like those in quotes above as they present a situation as if there it is something that is beyond question when in reality, it is not ?
So if I say that something costs a bajillion dollars, id that actually lying? 8-)
I don't think so because bajillion is defined as 'an extremely large but unspecified number, quantity, or amount:'
If you've ever met me in person, you'll discover I speak fluent sarcasm as a second language ;)
0 x
I self-identify as a conspiracy theorist. My pronouns are told/you/so.

Owner/admin at https://milepost81.com/
For parents, railfans, and much more!
Sudsy
Affiliation: Salvation Army

Post by Sudsy »

steve-in-kville wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 12:07 pm
Sudsy wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 9:54 am
steve-in-kville wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 9:31 am

So if I say that something costs a bajillion dollars, id that actually lying? 8-)
I don't think so because bajillion is defined as 'an extremely large but unspecified number, quantity, or amount:'
If you've ever met me in person, you'll discover I speak fluent sarcasm as a second language ;)
This is an interesting view regarding sarcasm versus using satire - https://www.gotquestions.org/Bible-sarcasm.html
Sarcasm, on the other hand, is not appropriate. Sarcasm has at its core the intent to insult or to be hurtful with no corresponding love or wish for well-being. Instead, the goal of sarcasm is to belittle the victim and elevate the speaker. Jesus warned against such harsh, unloving words in Matthew 5:22. Our words should be helpful and edifying, even if they are uncomfortable to the hearer.
Satire, which uses irony to gently deride and prompt needful change, can be appropriate on occasion; we have examples of satire in Scripture.
Personally, I doubt you use sarcasm according to this definition as I don't regard what you say as intending to be hurtful.
0 x
Pursuing a Kingdom life in the Spirit
Joy
Affiliation: Baptist

Post by Joy »

Sudsy wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 10:21 am
Joy wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 9:53 am Then there is Jesus with the two disciples, when He knew He was going to stay a while with them:

And they drew nigh unto the village, whither they went: and he made as though he would have gone further. [Luk 24:28 KJV]
But they constrained him, saying, Abide with us: for it is toward evening, and the day is far spent. And he went in to tarry with them. [Luk 24:29 KJV]

Obviously no wrongdoing there.
It is interesting how 'he made as though he would have' is put in some other versions -

'acted as if' - ESV
'seemed to be' - Berean Standard
'He indicated that He would' - NKJV
'Jesus seemed to be' - CEV
'He gave the impression' - New American Bible
'He appeared to be'- - Weymouth NT

So was Jesus being purposely deceptive or did they mistake His actions and tried to keep Him with them ? Or is the NKJV right that He indicated somehow that He would have gone further and they didn't want Him to go ?
I don't think it has to be either. The versions do seem to say the same thing, basically, though.
0 x
2Tim. 3:16,17 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works.
steve-in-kville
Affiliation: Hippie Anabaptist

Post by steve-in-kville »

In my own opinion, whatever you want to call it, if you intend to deceive someone, then that is being dishonest.

Using hyperbole, exaggeration, etc., is part of daily conversation. We all do it.
1 x
I self-identify as a conspiracy theorist. My pronouns are told/you/so.

Owner/admin at https://milepost81.com/
For parents, railfans, and much more!
Praxis+Theodicy
Affiliation: Seeker

Post by Praxis+Theodicy »

The intent to make people believe something that isn't true is where deception lies (pun intended).

Telling a joke, or exaggerating a humorous story (and making it obvious that you are exaggerating) are probably not deceptive. I think sometimes we want so much to be persuasive (in areas like politics, ideology, even religious doctrines) that we will stretch the truth or hide the truth. The intent to persuade often leads to selective truth-telling which is a lie.

What is the intent? Are you intending to persuade or entertain? In the first instance, be very careful to be truthful, even when the truth might not help your persuasive argument. In the latter case, as long as your intentions are clear, I don't think it's a lie to say things that are obviously untrue.

Where this gets hazy is in the realm or talk shows on TV or radio. Late night talk shows, morning radio programs, many political pundits, pretty much all the popular shows on Fox News, these are all classified as "entertainment" and get a pass on misinformation, even though their intent is to both entertain AND persuade. This needs discernment in all cases for the Christian, but it even gets into the legal sphere. Some political pundits have been taken to law for passing on false information, but they argued in court that their platform was meant to entertain, not inform, and thus they were not liable to the scrutiny of the truth that other news programs are.
1 x
Sudsy
Affiliation: Salvation Army

Post by Sudsy »

steve-in-kville wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 6:36 am In my own opinion, whatever you want to call it, if you intend to deceive someone, then that is being dishonest.

Using hyperbole, exaggeration, etc., is part of daily conversation. We all do it.
Yes, I think that is a key phrase 'intend to deceive' when it comes to not telling the truth, to lie. God and I know when I'm intending to make someone believe something that is not true.

In a previous post I gave a link that said this about sarcasm -
Sarcasm has at its core the intent to insult or to be hurtful with no corresponding love or wish for well-being
Here are some examples that are sometimes used to say Jesus was sarcastic - "You snakes, you brood of vipers!" multiple times. He called Herod a fox and a Canaaite woman a dog.

Jesus was being truthful in comparing certain people to snakes or a fox or a dog but does this give a Christian the grounds to call out religious people or anyone comparing them to having certain traits as animals ? Is this still a matter of intent to hurt and not a way to love ? Thoughts ? Anyone.
0 x
Pursuing a Kingdom life in the Spirit
ohio jones
Affiliation: Rosedale Network

Post by ohio jones »

Praxis+Theodicy wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 7:58 am Telling a joke, or exaggerating a humorous story (and making it obvious that you are exaggerating) are probably not deceptive.
Even that should be approached with caution. For example, telling someone they are so gullible that their picture is in the dictionary next to the entry for "gullible." And then they look it up. :lol: To them it may appear to be a lie, even though most people would find it amusing.
1 x
I grew up around Indiana, You grew up around Galilee; And if I ever really do grow up, I wanna grow up to be just like You -- Rich Mullins

I am a Christian and my name is Pilgram; I'm on a journey, but I'm not alone -- NewSong, slightly edited
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

I know some people who think it’s sinful to play the card game Mafia. I frankly find that ridiculous.
0 x