Poll: Preparation for Sunday School

General Christian Theology

What best describes your typical preparation for your church's Sunday School class?

I don't look at the text or study materials at all.
17%
I read the text and/or study materials but don't write out any thoughts or answers to questions.
50%
I read the text and/or study materials and write down my thoughts or answers to questions.
25%
I read the text and/or study materials and write down my thoughts or answers to questions, and also memorize any given memory passages.
No votes
I vary among all of the above.
8%

Total votes: 12

mike
Affiliation: ConMen

Poll: Preparation for Sunday School

Post by mike »

The thread about boring church services brought up a question I've wanted to ask at my church. Assuming your church has a Sunday school class, and that you have a text or study materials available ahead of time, what if anything do you do to prepare for the class (as a participant, not a teacher)?
Last edited by mike on Mon Aug 14, 2023 10:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Remember the prisoners, as though you were in prison with them, and the mistreated, as though you yourselves were suffering bodily. -Heb. 13:3
mike
Affiliation: ConMen

Re: Poll: Preparation for Sunday School

Post by mike »

I suspect that very few people in my church prepare for Sunday school by either reading or doing the lesson ahead of time. I think that our study time would be much more profitable if that weren't the case.
0 x
Remember the prisoners, as though you were in prison with them, and the mistreated, as though you yourselves were suffering bodily. -Heb. 13:3
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Re: Poll: Preparation for Sunday School

Post by Josh »

A majority of people in our circles read the scripture passages that go with the weekly lesson. These scriptures are not very long and only take a few minutes to read. I personally use them for my personal devotions. Here is an example of them:

Main lesson text:

Lesson 4 for 6/25/23: Do Not Fight Against God - Lesson Text: Acts 5:33-42; 8:1-3, background scripture: Acts 5:12-42
6/23/23 – "There is no neutral position": Mark 9:38-50
6/22/23 – "Striving with the Creator": Isa. 45:5-12
6/21/23 – "Words of wisdom": Eccl. 9:11-18
6/20/23 – "Demoralizing results of sin": 2 Pet. 2:18-22

(There is an e-mail service that will e-mail you these scripture verses each day, which gives me even fewer excuses for not reading these scriptures. I can just pull out my phone and read them without even needing to find my Bible and flip to the passage.)

I like to read the daily readings and consider them, and then when Sunday gets here (or Saturday night as the case may be), read the lesson text and the background scripture. I usually don't read the lesson itself until I'm in the class as I'd prefer to just let the class develop naturally.

The lessons have questions at the end (usually that do not have obvious, predetermined answers) and I enjoy those to stimulate the discussion both in myself and others.

Here is an example of the questions:
1. Is difficulty in accepting reproof a form of fighting against God?
2. Is an objection to filling a congregational appointed position in the church a form of fighting God?
0 x