Does God "test" Us?

General Christian Theology
Valerie
Affiliation: non-denominational

Does God "test" Us?

Post by Valerie »

I recently started going to a woman's Bible Study at my friend's Church. First time in over a decade participating in a "women only" group. Leader is quite knowledgeable about the Bible, and knows the Lord intimately.

This last meeting she stated that God does not "test" us.
Trials yes, tests, no. Sjmhe went on to explain why He does not.

Immediately verses popped in my head.

I said I gave never heard that position/understanding before so she said my homework was to find in the Bible where He does.

I don't want to debate the issue, I will try to gracefully & humbly share Scriptures/stories of where it seems God was testing, even stating so

This seems a difference of understanding God's actual dealings with us, and also His character.

All my Christian life I've had the relationship & sensing I was being "tested" here and there.

Do you?
1 x
Pelerin
Affiliation:

Re: Does God "test" Us?

Post by Pelerin »

What’s the difference between trials and tests?
2 x
Valerie

Post by Valerie »

Pelerin wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2023 10:09 pm What’s the difference between trials and tests?
I will share my "understanding" and correct me if I'm wrong.

Briefly.

The example of God asking Abraham to offer Isaac his son as a sacrifice to Him, I see as a "test" of his faith.

I see for example, David bright sought after by Saul for so long, as a trial. A longer suffering so to speak.
Or like Joseph in Egypt- as a trial.

I think our faith is tested in our trials.

It seems, at times, we are put to "tests" so our own hear is revealed, our faith as well. And I do see the hand of God in both, to use either or both, to help us see more of our need for Him & to grow.

I could back all this with Scriptures but just sharing my overall understanding
2 x
ohio jones
Affiliation: Rosedale Network

Post by ohio jones »

James 1:13 NTE*
Nobody being tested should say, ‘It’s God that’s testing me’, for God cannot be tested by evil, and he himself tests nobody.
*New Testament for Everyone, translated by N.T. Wright

Not so sure I agree with Tom on this one; practically all other English translations use "tempt" or a form thereof in this verse. I would say temptations no, tests yes.

John 6:5-6 NKJV
Then Jesus lifted up His eyes, and seeing a great multitude coming toward Him, He said to Philip, “Where shall we buy bread, that these may eat?” But this He said to test him, for He Himself knew what He would do.
I wonder what Sjmhe would do with that verse.
2 x
I grew up around Indiana, You grew up around Galilee; And if I ever really do grow up, I wanna grow up to be just like You -- Rich Mullins

I am a Christian and my name is Pilgram; I'm on a journey, but I'm not alone -- NewSong, slightly edited
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

Pelerin wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2023 10:09 pm What’s the difference between trials and tests?
i would suggest asking her what her definition is, relying on which translation, transliteration?
it may be more esoteric than she intended.

for myself, i find the OT and NT to be a lot about tests and trials, Gomer and Lot come to mind, but Jesus’ disciples were tested,
the saints were tested, and scriptures counsel to prepare for tests.

God has no limits, He uses all for His perfect purposes. i would hope to not ever attempt to limit God’s reach.
Esp with Gomer, God’s hard tests were for His purpose of bring her to Him.
He succeeded, she was convicted.

Even in a simple dictionary, the words overlap:
Trial noun
Law.
the examination before a judicial tribunal of the facts put in issue in a cause, often including issues of law as well as those of fact.
the determination of a person's guilt or innocence by due process of law.
the act of trying, testing, or putting to the proof.

adjective
of, relating to, or employed in a trial.
done or made by way of trial, proof, or experiment.
used in testing, experimenting, etc.
acting or serving as a sample, experimental specimen, etc.:
a trial offer.
1 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
JohnHurt
Affiliation: Primitive Christian

Post by JohnHurt »

The Test of Deuteronomy 13:
Deuteronomy 13:(1) If there arise among you a prophet, or a dreamer of dreams, and giveth thee a sign or a wonder,

(2) And the sign or the wonder come to pass, whereof he spake unto thee, saying, Let us go after other gods, which thou hast not known, and let us serve them;

(3) Thou shalt not hearken unto the words of that prophet, or that dreamer of dreams: for the LORD your God proveth you, to know whether ye love the LORD your God with all your heart and with all your soul.

(4) Ye shall walk after the LORD your God, and fear him, and keep his commandments, and obey his voice, and ye shall serve him, and cleave unto him.
So even if someone can perform a miracle that works, and they contradict Christ, you are not to follow them. It is a test from God.

Christ said this about the test of false prophets with "signs and wonders":
Matthew 24:(23) Then if any man shall say unto you, Lo, here is Christ, or there; believe it not.

(24) For there shall arise false Christs, and false prophets, and shall shew great signs and wonders; insomuch that, if it were possible, they shall deceive the very elect.

(25) Behold, I have told you before.

(26) Wherefore if they shall say unto you, Behold, he is in the desert; go not forth: behold, he is in the secret chambers; believe it not.

(27) For as the lightning cometh out of the east, and shineth even unto the west; so shall also the coming of the Son of man be.
All of the false teachers claim to have seen Christ by themselves out in the desert or in their chambers, like Joseph Smith, Ellen White, Oral Roberts, etc. They are all the same "test" of Deuteronomy 13 to know if you will follow men, or Christ.

When Christ returns, everyone will see Him. Christ said He will never appear to just some false prophet out by themselves.

And it is all by design, as the LORD your God proveth you, to know if you really love Christ more than these men and their "system".
1 x
"He replaced the teachings of Christ with his own opinions, and gave us a religion based on the doctrines of men."
barnhart
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by barnhart »

If you hold to the doctrine of omniscience, then God has no need of testing to bolster his knowledge. He might allow trials bolster your knowledge.
0 x
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

“The Big Deal” is for us to have faith without testing God.
Examples throughout OT and NT.

(for me) Thomas/Didymus exemplifies our human condition.

Jesus is patient:

John 20:28
https://biblehub.com/john/20-28.htm
…27Then Jesus said to Thomas,
“Put your finger here and look at My hands. Reach out your hand and put it into My side. Stop doubting and believe.”

28Thomas replied, “My Lord and my God!”

29Jesus said to him,
“Because you have seen Me, you have believed; blessed are those who have not seen and yet have believed.”…

God is patient:

2 Peter 3:9
https://biblehub.com/2_peter/3-9.htm
8Beloved, do not let this one thing escape your notice:
With the Lord a day is like a thousand years, and a thousand years are like a day.

9The Lord is not slow in keeping His promise as some understand slowness, but is patient with you, not wanting anyone to perish but everyone to come to repentance.

10But the Day of the Lord will come like a thief.
The heavens will disappear with a roar, the elements will be destroyed by fire, and the earth and its works will be laid bare.…

Inspired words of God.
1 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
Sudsy
Affiliation: Salvation Army

Post by Sudsy »

Valerie wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2023 9:30 pm I recently started going to a woman's Bible Study at my friend's Church. First time in over a decade participating in a "women only" group. Leader is quite knowledgeable about the Bible, and knows the Lord intimately.

This last meeting she stated that God does not "test" us.
Trials yes, tests, no. Sjmhe went on to explain why He does not.

Immediately verses popped in my head.

I said I gave never heard that position/understanding before so she said my homework was to find in the Bible where He does.

I don't want to debate the issue, I will try to gracefully & humbly share Scriptures/stories of where it seems God was testing, even stating so

This seems a difference of understanding God's actual dealings with us, and also His character.

All my Christian life I've had the relationship & sensing I was being "tested" here and there.

Do you?
My understanding of scripture is that God does test us as a means for our spiritual growth. What God does not do is tempt us to sin. Along with His testing us He provides the grace we need to stand the test. Trials, I view, as things that come our way from various happenings in life and not so much as God sourced. And in these, God also provides overcoming power to stand up to any trial.
1 x
Pursuing a Kingdom life in the Spirit
Valerie

Post by Valerie »

barnhart wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 8:23 am If you hold to the doctrine of omniscience, then God has no need of testing to bolster his knowledge. He might allow trials bolster your knowledge.
I fo believe in His omniscience.
When He asked A raham to offer up Isaac, I feel confident He already knew Abraham would obey.

I think that He allows tests more to reveal to "us" how we will handle them. Not to be mean, but to help us know our own hearts.
It seems (to me) His way of helping us see for ourselves where we need to grow or how firm our faith is, or even how we'll we know Him.
0 x