Does God "test" Us?

General Christian Theology
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Re: Does God "test" Us?

Post by Ken »

From my point of view, life tests us and God gives us the tools, strength, and grace to persevere.

But then I tend to believe that we all have free will for better or worse, and that God isn't pulling an infinite number of strings to affect every daily event across the globe. That we are not just puppets on a string.
0 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr
Pelerin
Affiliation:

Post by Pelerin »

Valerie wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2023 10:20 pm
Pelerin wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2023 10:09 pm What’s the difference between trials and tests?
I will share my "understanding" and correct me if I'm wrong.

Briefly.

The example of God asking Abraham to offer Isaac his son as a sacrifice to Him, I see as a "test" of his faith.

I see for example, David bright sought after by Saul for so long, as a trial. A longer suffering so to speak.
Or like Joseph in Egypt- as a trial.

I think our faith is tested in our trials.

It seems, at times, we are put to "tests" so our own hear is revealed, our faith as well. And I do see the hand of God in both, to use either or both, to help us see more of our need for Him & to grow.

I could back all this with Scriptures but just sharing my overall understanding
I can see the nuances between the two words so that in some cases you’d use one word or the other. But I’m not sure that they’re such different things that God could be said to do one but never the other. What would she say the difference is? She seems like she has something different in mind than I do.
0 x
Valerie
Affiliation: non-denominational

Post by Valerie »

Ken wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 3:09 pm From my point of view, life tests us and God gives us the tools, strength, and grace to persevere.

But then I tend to believe that we all have free will for better or worse, and that God isn't pulling an infinite number of strings to affect every daily event across the globe. That we are not just puppets on a string.
In other words, you seem to see Him as somewhat absent from the day to day circumstances in our lives, that things "just happen" but He is there to help us in said ways when we need His intervention.

Maybe this has to do with how involved we see God in our day to day lives. I am accustomed to seeing Him as our/my father, not as a puppetmaster, but if He is aware of the number of hairs on our heads, and, when a sparrow falls, it seems He is, or can be very close to us in every way. I do also see His angels being used by Him in ways of protecting us. These are my understandings based mainly on studying Scripture, applying it in my own life, and trusting Him in all situations.
0 x
Valerie
Affiliation: non-denominational

Post by Valerie »

Pelerin wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 10:59 pm
Valerie wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2023 10:20 pm
Pelerin wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2023 10:09 pm What’s the difference between trials and tests?
I will share my "understanding" and correct me if I'm wrong.

Briefly.

The example of God asking Abraham to offer Isaac his son as a sacrifice to Him, I see as a "test" of his faith.

I see for example, David bright sought after by Saul for so long, as a trial. A longer suffering so to speak.
Or like Joseph in Egypt- as a trial.

I think our faith is tested in our trials.

It seems, at times, we are put to "tests" so our own hear is revealed, our faith as well. And I do see the hand of God in both, to use either or both, to help us see more of our need for Him & to grow.

I could back all this with Scriptures but just sharing my overall understanding
I can see the nuances between the two words so that in some cases you’d use one word or the other. But I’m not sure that they’re such different things that God could be said to do one but never the other. What would she say the difference is? She seems like she has something different in mind than I do.
I think it has to do with how she sees God, and how she sees tests.
She seemed to convey that God "would not" do anything just to test us, anymore than we as parents would do things or allow things just to test our children. That concept seems almost mean to her therefore she's concluded "God does not test us"
It challenged my decades of believing that He certainly does test us (not tempt us!) however, I do not see that as being mean at all, but using it for our good. We don't need to put our children to tests, we are not God.
0 x
steve-in-kville
Affiliation: Hippie Anabaptist

Post by steve-in-kville »

This is my immediate question. The term "challenges" comes to mind as well.
0 x
I self-identify as a conspiracy theorist. My pronouns are told/you/so.

Owner/admin at https://milepost81.com/
For parents, railfans, and much more!
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Post by Ken »

Valerie wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 5:26 am
Ken wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 3:09 pm From my point of view, life tests us and God gives us the tools, strength, and grace to persevere.

In other words, you seem to see Him as somewhat absent from the day to day circumstances in our lives, that things "just happen" but He is there to help us in said ways when we need His intervention.
Basically yes. I think God gives us the freedom to make our own choices which means that he gives everyone else in the world the freedom to make their own choices. And so when good or bad things happen it is the result of humans making choices. If you listen to God he may give you guidance and the ability to distinguish right from wrong. But your choices are still your own. As are everyone else's.

Perhaps one can step way back and say that God created a world in which bad things do happen and that we will be tested and challenged in our life here on earth. But I don't see the daily individual events happening to billions of people around the world as something that God is manipulating to create either trials or tests for individual people.
0 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

Well, Ken has something in common with the founding fathers, then (Deism).
0 x
Soloist
Affiliation: CM Seeker

Post by Soloist »

Josh wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 12:08 pm Well, Ken has something in common with the founding fathers, then (Deism).
I have wondered what he would think of that belief.
0 x
Soloist, but I hate singing alone
Soloist, but my wife posts with me
Soloist, but I believe in community
Soloist, but I want God in the pilot seat
Robert
Site Janitor
Affiliation: Anabaptist

Post by Robert »

0 x
Try hard not to offend. Try harder not to be offended.
Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they are not after you.
I think I am funnier than I really am.
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by Bootstrap »

The same Greek word is used for each. English makes a stronger distinction between the two.

https://www.billmounce.com/greek-dictionary/peirasmos
0 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?