What happens when you die ?

General Christian Theology
Sudsy
Affiliation: Salvation Army

What happens when you die ?

Post by Sudsy »

This thread is to share your thoughts and beliefs on what you think happens after a person physically dies. Both Christians and non-Christians.

Some areas to consider but not limited to -

- what immediately happens ?
- what judgments will occur and when ?
- the dimensions of body, soul and spirit ?
- can you watch those still living ?
- is there an intermediate state between heaven and hell ?
- reincarnation ?
- soul sleep ?
- how will we know each other ?
- does cremation matter ?
- is hell an unending place or torment ?
- anything else you wish to address ?

Wherever use a scripture verse to support your views but not necessary.
0 x
Pursuing a Kingdom life in the Spirit
Sudsy

Re: What happens when you die ?

Post by Sudsy »

Perhaps this will give a better start point to this subject. I have questions regarding this presentation and some doubts as I read it for the first time.

How did it strike you on initial watch - https://video.wvbs.org/video/where-do-w ... en-we-die/

One thing I noticed off the top was a two dimensional view of body and soul/spirit instead of 3 dimensions as described in Thessalonians 5:23
“And the God of peace Himself sanctify you wholly, and may your spirit and soul and body be preserved complete, without blame, at the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ.”
0 x
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

I would say we don't really know because the Bible doesn't give us exact details. It does tell us we will be resurrected to face judgment, and much like an earthly court, our conviction and sentencing will depend on whether or not we have chosen a good Advocate.
1 x
steve-in-kville
Affiliation: Hippie Anabaptist

Post by steve-in-kville »

Look forward to more replies on this thread.
0 x
I self-identify as a conspiracy theorist. My pronouns are told/you/so.

Owner/admin at https://milepost81.com/
For parents, railfans, and much more!
Sudsy

Post by Sudsy »

Perhaps someone might want to explore 'soul sleep'. Many Christians believe that because one scripture says to be absent from the body is to be present with the Lord that this means when you die you immediately go to heaven to be with our Lord. I was raised with this belief and often at funeral homes the surviving relatives were told that the one that just died was right then enjoying heaven.

There are a number of scriptures that says this is not true and that a Christian will remain in a sleep state until resurrection day when we put on immortality and go to be with the Lord. That day when the graves will open and we shall rise to be ever with the Lord.

Here is an explanation of the belief that when we die we go into a sleep state awaiting resurrection day. Feel free to challenge this view of what happens when a Christian dies.

0 x
silentreader
Affiliation: MidWest Fellowship

Post by silentreader »

Sudsy wrote: Sat Jul 22, 2023 7:58 pm Perhaps someone might want to explore 'soul sleep'. Many Christians believe that because one scripture says to be absent from the body is to be present with the Lord that this means when you die you immediately go to heaven to be with our Lord. I was raised with this belief and often at funeral homes the surviving relatives were told that the one that just died was right then enjoying heaven.

There are a number of scriptures that says this is not true and that a Christian will remain in a sleep state until resurrection day when we put on immortality and go to be with the Lord. That day when the graves will open and we shall rise to be ever with the Lord.

Here is an explanation of the belief that when we die we go into a sleep state awaiting resurrection day. Feel free to challenge this view of what happens when a Christian dies.

I don't expect that time as we know it exists in the spiritual realm.
2 x
Noah was a conspiracy theorist...and then it began to rain.~Unknown
JimFoxvog
Affiliation: MCUSA

Post by JimFoxvog »

I expect the next thing we will experience is the resurrection. Nobody (except Jesus) gets there first. Everyone will be resurrected together. Then the judgment and some go to eternal life and others to eternal destruction.
2 x
Sudsy

Post by Sudsy »

JimFoxvog wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2023 8:04 am I expect the next thing we will experience is the resurrection. Nobody (except Jesus) gets there first. Everyone will be resurrected together. Then the judgment and some go to eternal life and others to eternal destruction.
That is basically my belief also.
0 x
Praxis+Theodicy
Affiliation: Seeker

Post by Praxis+Theodicy »

The Bible primarily talks about the resurrection at the end of the age. This is what the Jews believed and it is talked about at length in Christian literature like 1 Corinthians 15 and the Revelation of John.

This has led some theologians to posit the concept of "soul sleep": that when we die, our souls experience nothing, not even the passage of time. They sleep with our bodies until our bodies are resurrected. From our perspective, we experience death and then the next thing we experience is the end of the age resurrection.

However, there is a concept talked about less frequently in the New Testament that when we die we will be "with Christ". It's not talked about much and it isn't given much detail, because it's not where our hope ultimately lies. This idea that our souls continue to experience something (Christ) in the time between our death and our resurrection is referred to as the "intermediate state". A few Anabaptists and 7th Day Adventists and I think Jehovah's Witnesses advocate for Soul Sleep but the majority of Christianity affirm some variety of intermediate state.
1 x
joshuabgood
Affiliation: BMA

Post by joshuabgood »

Nobody knows for sure, like Josh said. I am partial to the soul sleep theory myself I think.
0 x