Personal Devotional Time Poll

General Christian Theology

Which best describes your personal devotional time?

I do not practice any personal devotional time.
5%
I rarely practice a time of prayer, Bible reading, or spiritual meditation.
5%
I occasionally practice a time of prayer, Bible reading, or spiritual meditation.
9%
I frequently practice a time of prayer, Bible reading, or spiritual meditation.
32%
I daily practice a time of prayer, Bible reading, or spiritual meditation.
45%
Other
5%

Total votes: 22

mike
Affiliation: Conservative Menno

Personal Devotional Time Poll

Post by mike »

This is a poll about your personal devotional time, or in other words time dedicated to prayer and reading or memorizing the Bible, or meditating on spiritual things within the Christian context.
0 x
Remember the prisoners, as though you were in prison with them, and the mistreated, as though you yourselves were suffering bodily. -Heb. 13:3
mike
Affiliation: Conservative Menno

Re: Personal Devotional Time Poll

Post by mike »

See the companion thread at Family Devotional Time Poll.
0 x
Remember the prisoners, as though you were in prison with them, and the mistreated, as though you yourselves were suffering bodily. -Heb. 13:3
Sudsy
Affiliation: Salvation Army

Post by Sudsy »

Other - throughout the day.

I view that walking in the Spirit includes many times in the day that we should be involved in various ways of communion with God. For some a special carved out period of time in their day doing certain devotional practises is what serves them best spiritually to start or end their day. Jesus did have some time alone with the Father to seek the Father's will so alone time with God is important.

However, one can have a devotional time that is often just a ritualistic habit to read X amount of scripture and/or repeat the Lord's prayer, etc and it has little impact on them spiritually. Been there, done that. Sometimes reading through the Bible in a year format, I would read my chapters and my mind was totally somewhere else. I also would do this at bed time and would fall asleep before finishing my practise.

Some I know who drive long distances to work will listen to their favorite Bible teacher on a CD or radio station and talk to the Lord like they would a person sitting in the passenger seat.

So, having alone times with God during my day when the opportunity arises and not following a set time and format for devotionals is my current practise.
0 x
Pursuing a Kingdom life in the Spirit
Praxis+Theodicy
Affiliation: Seeker

Post by Praxis+Theodicy »

I would say "daily" but I do miss some days. But mostly I take Sundays off from personal devotional time since much of the day is wrapped around corporate devotional time. So maybe "daily" is most accurate for me.

It's pretty new for me, tho. Not proud to admit, but it's always been a habit I've wanted to cultivate, and only recently have I had some success.
0 x