Puritan Reformed Theological Seminary?

General Christian Theology
joshuabgood
Affiliation: BMA

Re: Puritan Reformed Theological Seminary?

Post by joshuabgood »

justme wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 12:10 pmLamb's war?
The Quakers "fight" by absorbing punishment and abuse, like a Lamb. It really is the way of the cross to defeat evil. This suffering love way of fighting became known as, already in the Cromwell days, a "lamb's war."

They waged it in the New England colonies in the new world, absorbing all sorts of physical violence from the Puritans who wanted a "pure church." But they just kept coming. Eventually, that way of thinking won out. The Puritans developed a "half way convenant" and then also later came round to Roger Williams ideas. (Roger btw was a real Anabaptist. He was rebaptized by an Anabaptist that discipled him. This influence was behind is advocacy for freedom of religion in the colonies...and then specifically in Rhode Island. And later this self same idea, manifested in the nascent federal state. So one can make a cogent argument that Anabaptism is to thank for the current "Freedom of Religion" ideals of the west.
2 x
joshuabgood
Affiliation: BMA

Post by joshuabgood »

An article on the Quaker witness from Swarthmore College.

https://nvdatabase.swarthmore.edu/conte ... e%20times.
0 x
ohio jones
Affiliation: Rosedale Network

Post by ohio jones »

Ken wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 1:12 pm
Praxis+Theodicy wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 11:00 am If Puritans are just a theocratic arm of the Reformed church, yes, they are having a comeback. Stephen Wolfe and Doug Wilson have written books explicitly arguing in favor of Christian Nationalism.
In what way is the Reformed Church experiencing a "comeback" as opposed to an accelerating decline?
Reformed church, not Reformed Church. The Reformed Church in America (RCA) is a declining mainline denomination, and is not young and restless like the theological movement to which this thread refers.
0 x
I grew up around Indiana, You grew up around Galilee; And if I ever really do grow up, I wanna grow up to be just like You -- Rich Mullins

I am a Christian and my name is Pilgram; I'm on a journey, but I'm not alone -- NewSong, slightly edited
Praxis+Theodicy
Affiliation: Seeker

Post by Praxis+Theodicy »

Stand in opposition but don't "fight" back. Bear the brunt of persecution until your enemies grow a conscience and cease their ways.
0 x
Praxis+Theodicy
Affiliation: Seeker

Post by Praxis+Theodicy »

Ken wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 1:12 pm
Praxis+Theodicy wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 11:00 am
MaxPC wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 9:11 pm Is there a possibility that there may be a revival of Puritanism that is underway?
It's hard to say what, exactly, that would mean. Who were the Puritans? They have a set of doctrinal beliefs that are basically identical to Reformed or Presbyterians. Their truly distinguishing characteristic was their desire to have a "pure" church, which is kind of a goal that needs further defining. The early anabaptists were accused (arguably, the accusation was justified) of wanting that same goal.

If Puritans are just a theocratic arm of the Reformed church, yes, they are having a comeback. Stephen Wolfe and Doug Wilson have written books explicitly arguing in favor of Christian Nationalism.
In what way is the Reformed Church experiencing a "comeback" as opposed to an accelerating decline?
Not the actual church, but the ideology of an authoritarian, "dominionist" ideology wrapped in Reformed theology. Puritanism is more an ideology than a church. So Puritanism can be making a comeback because the ideology is growing, even if the church(es) that give a home to the ideology are decreasing. In fact, now I'm wondering if the growth in the ideology is because of the churches' decline.
0 x
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

Praxis+Theodicy wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 1:58 pm Not the actual church, but the ideology of an authoritarian, "dominionist" ideology wrapped in Reformed theology. Puritanism is more an ideology than a church. So Puritanism can be making a comeback because the ideology is growing, even if the church(es) that give a home to the ideology are decreasing. In fact, now I'm wondering if the growth in the ideology is because of the churches' decline.
I wouldn't say it's "growing". People like R.J. Rushdoony and Gary North have been around for a long time. It remains a rather "niche" kind of thing that seems to continue to exist in that niche.

Overall, the Reformed denominations like the P.C.A. and whatever "denomination" Reformed Baptists as a whole are are trending in a more liberal direction. (There are now people inside the PCA who actually think they should be ordaining women, if you can imagine that.)

You can, however, head over to Puritan Boards (where yours truly is banned; I guess it was predestined since the foundations of the earth that I would not be one of the elect members of that forum) and find people who are busy advocating for things like restoring a Presbyterian state church.
0 x
justme
Affiliation: hermit

Post by justme »

joshuabgood wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 1:28 pm
The Quakers "fight" by absorbing punishment and abuse, like a Lamb. It really is the way of the cross to defeat evil. This suffering love way of fighting became known as, already in the Cromwell days, a "lamb's war."

They waged it in the New England colonies in the new world, absorbing all sorts of physical violence from the Puritans who wanted a "pure church." But they just kept coming. Eventually, that way of thinking won out. The Puritans developed a "half way convenant" and then also later came round to Roger Williams ideas. (Roger btw was a real Anabaptist. He was rebaptized by an Anabaptist that discipled him. This influence was behind is advocacy for freedom of religion in the colonies...and then specifically in Rhode Island. And later this self same idea, manifested in the nascent federal state. So one can make a cogent argument that Anabaptism is to thank for the current "Freedom of Religion" ideals of the west.
Praxis+Theodicy wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 1:55 pm
Stand in opposition but don't "fight" back. Bear the brunt of persecution until your enemies grow a conscience and cease their ways.
thanks, jbg, and praxis.
i learned something.
i appreciate you taking the time to answer me.
0 x
Anything seems possible if you don't know what you are talking about. fb meme
barnhart
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by barnhart »

joshuabgood wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 1:28 pm

Current culture warriors could learn from early Quakers about how to be faithful and effective.
1 x
barnhart
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by barnhart »

Praxis+Theodicy wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 1:58 pm...Not the actual church, but the ideology of an authoritarian, "dominionist" ideology wrapped in Reformed theology. Puritanism is more an ideology than a church. So Puritanism can be making a comeback because the ideology is growing, even if the church(es) that give a home to the ideology are decreasing. In fact, now I'm wondering if the growth in the ideology is because of the churches' decline.
The churches around me going this direction, to my knowledge, tend to be Charismatic not Reform. Perhaps there is a confluence of ideas that shrinks difference for larger goals and unites groups that would otherwise have been oppositional. Regardless it is a real event, it's happening and who knows where it is headed. Ideas like Theodicy that were fringe 10 years ago and now coming across the pulpit. There is a growing acceptance that secular rule and law must be dictated by the church.
0 x
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Post by Ken »

barnhart wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 10:14 amThere is a growing acceptance that secular rule and law must be dictated by the church.
Growing acceptance by who exactly? Who are you actually talking about?
0 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr