Puritan Reformed Theological Seminary?

General Christian Theology
barnhart
Affiliation: Mennonite

Re: Puritan Reformed Theological Seminary?

Post by barnhart »

I find the Puritans interesting as a political movement but not so much as a religious movement. Their vision of the good society is quite compelling considering how far they were reaching from the conditions around them. Their new England seems harsh at times from our perspective until compared with the social structures of the Royal or charter colonies around them. For example in some of the early Virginia colonies the death penalty was an option for missing religious services three times in a row. There were also brandings, piercing and cropping of ears and tongues for misdemeanor level infractions. By contrast the Puritans did not accept punishment that mars the body as it is the image of God, created public education so all people could read the Bible, built quality public infrastructure like crowned roads to create economic opportunity for everyone to support themselves, and believed the experience of God and of beauty is a primary purpose for humanity. There is a lot there to like, but much I object to as well. Possibly the low point for me is the confluence of the kingdom of heaven with the worldly kingdom of power and coersion.
1 x
Praxis+Theodicy
Affiliation: Seeker

Post by Praxis+Theodicy »

barnhart wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 5:58 pm ...in some of the early Virginia colonies the death penalty was an option for missing religious services three times in a row. There were also brandings, piercing and cropping of ears and tongues for misdemeanor level infractions. By contrast the Puritans did not accept punishment that mars the body as it is the image of God...
This isn't true. The punishment for "being a Quaker" in a Puritan-led colony in North America was (1) cutting off an ear and being exiled for the first infraction, (2) cutting off the OTHER ear if you dared return to the colony (second infraction) and (3) drilling a hole through the tongue with a hot iron and other physical deforming punishments for further infractions.

Likely their thoughts on not doing punishments that "mar the body" were for their OWN people, i.e. Puritans who were caught in sin. But they had a very well-defined idea of "us" and "other," and if you were "other" (i.e. Catholic, Quaker, Baptist, Mennonite), you were punished severely with body deformities just for existing as that "other".

https://www.seacoastonline.com/story/ne ... 674190007/
0 x
joshuabgood
Affiliation: BMA

Post by joshuabgood »

Praxis+Theodicy wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 10:20 am
barnhart wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 5:58 pm ...in some of the early Virginia colonies the death penalty was an option for missing religious services three times in a row. There were also brandings, piercing and cropping of ears and tongues for misdemeanor level infractions. By contrast the Puritans did not accept punishment that mars the body as it is the image of God...
This isn't true. The punishment for "being a Quaker" in a Puritan-led colony in North America was (1) cutting off an ear and being exiled for the first infraction, (2) cutting off the OTHER ear if you dared return to the colony (second infraction) and (3) drilling a hole through the tongue with a hot iron and other physical deforming punishments for further infractions.

Likely their thoughts on not doing punishments that "mar the body" were for their OWN people, i.e. Puritans who were caught in sin. But they had a very well-defined idea of "us" and "other," and if you were "other" (i.e. Catholic, Quaker, Baptist, Mennonite), you were punished severely with body deformities just for existing as that "other".

The Quakers famously waged a "lamb's war" against the Puritans...until they finally won and the Puritanical ideals relaxed a bit. But a ton of beaten Quakers, dead witches, and banished righteous people were left in the wake.
0 x
barnhart
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by barnhart »

Praxis+Theodicy wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 10:20 am

Yes, you are right. Perhaps their high ideals didn't always translate to actual policy.
0 x
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

Is there a possibility that there may be a revival of Puritanism that is underway?
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

MaxPC wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 9:11 pm Is there a possibility that there may be a revival of Puritanism that is underway?
If it was ordained by God before the very foundations of the world were laid, then possibly.
1 x
Praxis+Theodicy
Affiliation: Seeker

Post by Praxis+Theodicy »

MaxPC wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 9:11 pm Is there a possibility that there may be a revival of Puritanism that is underway?
It's hard to say what, exactly, that would mean. Who were the Puritans? They have a set of doctrinal beliefs that are basically identical to Reformed or Presbyterians. Their truly distinguishing characteristic was their desire to have a "pure" church, which is kind of a goal that needs further defining. The early anabaptists were accused (arguably, the accusation was justified) of wanting that same goal.

If Puritans are just a theocratic arm of the Reformed church, yes, they are having a comeback. Stephen Wolfe and Doug Wilson have written books explicitly arguing in favor of Christian Nationalism.
1 x
HondurasKeiser
Affiliation: LMC & IEMH

Post by HondurasKeiser »

Praxis+Theodicy wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 11:00 am
It's hard to say what, exactly, that would mean. Who were the Puritans? They have a set of doctrinal beliefs that are basically identical to Reformed or Presbyterians. Their truly distinguishing characteristic was their desire to have a "pure" church, which is kind of a goal that needs further defining. The early anabaptists were accused (arguably, the accusation was justified) of wanting that same goal.

If Puritans are just a theocratic arm of the Reformed church, yes, they are having a comeback. Stephen Wolfe and Doug Wilson have written books explicitly arguing in favor of Christian Nationalism.
In my rubbing of shoulders with Reformed folk, I've often gotten the impression that they have quite a bit of admiration for the Puritans and a desire to see a kind of revival of Puritan society. My brother-in-law sports a shirt that says "Get Married, Make Babies, Sing the Psalms, Take Dominion". He and my sister are very serious about all 4 of those points.
0 x
Affiliation: Lancaster Mennonite Conference & Honduran Mennonite Evangelical Church
justme
Affiliation: hermit

Post by justme »

Lamb's war?
0 x
Anything seems possible if you don't know what you are talking about. fb meme
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Post by Ken »

Praxis+Theodicy wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 11:00 am

In what way is the Reformed Church experiencing a "comeback" as opposed to an accelerating decline?
0 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr