Jesus Using Hyperbole

General Christian Theology
Sudsy
Affiliation: Salvation Army

Jesus Using Hyperbole

Post by Sudsy »

Where in the New Testament do you believe Jesus used hyperbole meaning an exaggeration to make a point that is not to be taken literally ?

With the example, provide why you believe it was hyperbole and what was meant in it's use.
0 x
Pursuing a Kingdom life in the Spirit
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Re: Jesus Using Hyperbole

Post by Josh »

Calling someone a fox.
0 x
Grace
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by Grace »

“If your right eye causes you to stumble, gouge it out and throw it away. It is better for you to lose one part of your body than for your whole body to be thrown into hell. And if your right hand causes you to stumble, cut it off and throw it away. It is better for you to lose one part of your body than for your whole body to go into hell.”
Obviously Jesus was using hyperbole and didn’t mean we should literally cut body parts out or off. But He was telling people to do something drastic about the sin in their lives.

“If anyone comes to Me and does not hate his father and mother, wife and children, brothers and sisters, yes, and his own life also, he cannot be my disciple.”
If Jesus meant this literally it would violate the verse where we are commanded to love each other.

“For it is easier for a camel to go through a needle’s eye than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God.”

“I tell you that if these (disciples) should keep silent, the stones would immediately cry out.”
4 x
Josh

Post by Josh »

I think the eye of a needle is literal (and so did the early church); it is simply impossible for a wealthy person to enter the Kingdom. They must first dispose of their wealth.
0 x
Soloist
Affiliation: CM Seeker

Post by Soloist »

Josh wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2023 4:44 pm I think the eye of a needle is literal (and so did the early church); it is simply impossible for a wealthy person to enter the Kingdom. They must first dispose of their wealth.
What is the litmus test for wealthy? Why did Paul tell Timothy this
Charge them that are rich in this world, that they be not highminded, nor trust in uncertain riches, but in the living God, who giveth us richly all things to enjoy;
1Ti 6:18  That they do good, that they be rich in good works, ready to distribute, willing to communicate;
1 x
Soloist, but I hate singing alone
Soloist, but my wife posts with me
Soloist, but I believe in community
Soloist, but I want God in the pilot seat
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Post by Ken »

Soloist wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2023 4:50 pm
Josh wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2023 4:44 pm I think the eye of a needle is literal (and so did the early church); it is simply impossible for a wealthy person to enter the Kingdom. They must first dispose of their wealth.
What is the litmus test for wealthy? Why did Paul tell Timothy this
Charge them that are rich in this world, that they be not highminded, nor trust in uncertain riches, but in the living God, who giveth us richly all things to enjoy;
1Ti 6:18  That they do good, that they be rich in good works, ready to distribute, willing to communicate;
Wealth is a relative term, not an absolute term.

In every society on earth both today and in Biblical times there are those who are at the top, middle, and bottom. Both in terms of actual wealth and also in terms of status and privilege. It is simply a matter of where you draw the lines.

In fact, Jesus very much speaks in terms of relative wealth. For example, the lesson of the widow's offering in Mark 12 tells us everyone's contribution should be RELATIVE to what they can afford, not some absolute threshold that is easy to meet if you are rich and difficult if you are poor.
0 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr
Sudsy
Affiliation: Salvation Army

Post by Sudsy »

Regarding the 'eye of the needle', I thought these replies were quite interesting.

https://www.theguardian.com/notesandque ... r%20heaven.

One point that especially caught my attention was that after Jesus said this, He followed it with an answer to those who regarded it as something impossible. Luke 18:26-27
Those who heard this asked, “Who then can be saved?” Jesus replied, “What is impossible with man is possible with God.”
So, this says to me that even a rich person can enter heaven and it got me thinking about Job in the OT where Job ended up a very wealthy man in material goods. Job 42:10
And the Lord restored the fortunes of Job when he had prayed for his friends; and the Lord gave Job twice as much as he had before.
I suspect, though, that this verse might be used by some of the 'health and wealth preachers' today to justify their fortunes. However, I wonder how many of them could endure the tests that satan put Job through.
0 x
Pursuing a Kingdom life in the Spirit
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

My perspective:
Hyperbole is a linguistic tool for the purpose of making a point. It was, and is, a common feature in the languages of the Middle East: Hebrew, Aramaic, Arabic, Pashto, etc. Indeed, I would venture to say that forms of hyperbole exist in every language, be it for making a point or for humor.

In making a point, hyperbole is its most effective when it juxtaposes familiar knowledge, in this case, a camel or rope (depending upon whose translation you prefer) and a needle or The Needle Gate. It proposes an extreme example for the sake of a succinct explanation of a concept.

At the end of the day, I do feel that regardless of the translation, Jesus' teaching about wealth and heaven is quite clear 2 millenia later in spite of changes in cultural references and languages. In short, it is still a hyperbole that we still understand. Good hyperboles can do that and of course, as the Son of God, Jesus is a master of teaching as well.
YMMV
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
RZehr
Affiliation: Cons. Mennonite

Post by RZehr »

Sudsy wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 9:23 am Regarding the 'eye of the needle', I thought these replies were quite interesting.

https://www.theguardian.com/notesandque ... r%20heaven.

One point that especially caught my attention was that after Jesus said this, He followed it with an answer to those who regarded it as something impossible. Luke 18:26-27
Those who heard this asked, “Who then can be saved?” Jesus replied, “What is impossible with man is possible with God.”
So, this says to me that even a rich person can enter heaven and it got me thinking about Job in the OT where Job ended up a very wealthy man in material goods. Job 42:10
And the Lord restored the fortunes of Job when he had prayed for his friends; and the Lord gave Job twice as much as he had before.
I suspect, though, that this verse might be used by some of the 'health and wealth preachers' today to justify their fortunes. However, I wonder how many of them could endure the tests that satan put Job through.
Another thing to look at is the fact that Jesus says that those who have left houses, family, lands, for his sake and the gospels, would receive 100 fold back - similar to Job - and notably, he says that this 100 fold return is not something that will only take place in heaven,but in this life.

For example, the very next verses in Luke 18:28-30:
28 Then Peter said, Lo, we have left all, and followed thee.
29 And he said unto them, Verily I say unto you, There is no man that hath left house, or parents, or brethren, or wife, or children, for the kingdom of God's sake,
30 Who shall not receive manifold more in this present time, and in the world to come life everlasting.

And also the parallel passage in Mark 10:28-30:
28 Then Peter began to say unto him, Lo, we have left all, and have followed thee.
29 And Jesus answered and said, Verily I say unto you, There is no man that hath left house, or brethren, or sisters, or father, or mother, or wife, or children, or lands, for my sake, and the gospel's,
30 But he shall receive an hundredfold now in this time, houses, and brethren, and sisters, and mothers, and children, and lands, with persecutions; and in the world to come eternal life.

So is this hyperbole? If not, how would anyone know if what they have is the 100 fold that Jesus promised in this life, or if it is merely the same manner of possessions that the wicked have? I'd suppose that would depend on if they first gave up houses and lands and family for Jesus sake and the gospels. If one has not done that, then one could hardly claim that what one has in terms of land and houses and family is part of the promised "100 fold".
0 x
Josh

Post by Josh »

Freedom from sin and the hope of salvation seems worth 100 fold anything I left behind in the world.

I left behind alcohol which gave me hangovers, bitterness and offence, feeling angry, and empty relationships and ended up having a Christian home with children which seems worth more than 100 fold.
3 x