A Good Word

General Christian Theology
Valerie
Affiliation: non-denominational

A Good Word

Post by Valerie »

In the Name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit.

“The light of the body is the eye: if therefore thine eye be single, thy whole body shall be full of light.” Matthew 6:22

As the Fathers explain, the eye is the nous, the inward organ of spiritual perception. This eye per se is not the light, but the candle or lamp that bears this light. Only the Living God, who is all fire, can light this lamp. So if our nous, our mind’s eye, is not lit with his Light, we are in darkness, plain and simple, though we may think we have light, which is only the “light” of our own reason, or worse, the “light” of Satan masquerading as an angel of light.

If the “light” that is in us be darkness, how great is that darkness! If instead of being guided by the true Light, we follow our own reason and wisdom, or that of some worldly-wise counselor-- or even the devil himself, who is constantly seeking to distract us and blind us to the light of Christ-- we will stray further and further from the only path that leads to life.

This is serious business, folks-- a matter of life and death—eternal life and eternal death! Where will we find ourselves when death comes upon us, and the veil is lifted? Precisely where the light we have followed in life has led us! Either we will find ourselves in the Light of the Kingdom of God into which Christ has led us, or in the outer darkness into which we have strayed by following our own reason, will, and way.

So what can we do so that we may get back on the path of life? First, we must recognize our condition, that we are lost and gone astray: “All we like sheep have gone astray, we have turned every one to his own way”. Next, we must forsake all the false lights that have led us astray—our own reason, will, and way: “Let the wicked forsake his way, and the unrighteous man his thoughts”. Then, our nous, the eye of our heart, like a compass, will orient us to the true Light of the Living God shining into our hearts unto life everlasting, for, “The path of the just is as the shining light, which shines more and more unto the perfect day”.

Glory to Jesus Christ!

Posted by an Orthodox friend
4 x
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Re: A Good Word

Post by temporal1 »

John 14-26
https://biblehub.com/john/14-26.htm
25All this I have spoken to you while I am still with you.

26But the Advocate, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in My name, will teach you all things
and will remind you of everything I have told you.

27Peace I leave with you; My peace I give to you. I do not give to you as the world gives.
Do not let your hearts be troubled; do not be afraid.…
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN