Common Christian practices that are not taught in scripture

General Christian Theology
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Re: Common Christian practices that are not taught in scripture

Post by Josh »

ken_sylvania wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2023 5:58 pm
Josh wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2023 5:10 pm
ken_sylvania wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2023 4:54 pm It seems to me that your argument is based on re-defining and restricting the meaning of the Greek words referring to baptism and make them all say "temporarily immerse." And then also re-defining the words used to condemn divorce and remarriage in order to pretend that they don't mean what they say.
We are getting wildly offtopic here, but the standard conservative Anabaptist position also redefines the meaning of Greek works referring to sexual immorality to make it actually mean "only what happens during a period of betrothal before an actual marriage".
I think you're right (well, not sure how standard that redefinition is), but I'm not exactly sure what you want me to do about it. I think it's more likely that the verse means exactly what it says; that if the wife is already involved in immorality a divorce isn't going to cause her to commit adultery - she has already done so.
Right, but in that case, Jesus didn’t even speak a prohibition against remarriage. It was confined to people who divorced their wives without any immorality being involved.
0 x
ken_sylvania
Affiliation: CM

Post by ken_sylvania »

Josh wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2023 6:40 pm
Josh wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2023 5:10 pm

We are getting wildly offtopic here, but the standard conservative Anabaptist position also redefines the meaning of Greek works referring to sexual immorality to make it actually mean "only what happens during a period of betrothal before an actual marriage".
I think you're right (well, not sure how standard that redefinition is), but I'm not exactly sure what you want me to do about it. I think it's more likely that the verse means exactly what it says; that if the wife is already involved in immorality a divorce isn't going to cause her to commit adultery - she has already done so.
Right, but in that case, Jesus didn’t even speak a prohibition against remarriage. It was confined to people who divorced their wives without any immorality being involved.
... and to those who married divorcees.
1 x
Josh

Post by Josh »

ken_sylvania wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2023 7:04 pm
Josh wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2023 6:40 pm
... and to those who married divorcees.
Yes, good point, although a literal reading of the text would confine that to divorcées.
0 x
mike
Affiliation: ConMen

Post by mike »

Tithing
0 x
Remember the prisoners, as though you were in prison with them, and the mistreated, as though you yourselves were suffering bodily. -Heb. 13:3
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Post by Ken »

mike wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2023 8:27 pmTithing
Seriously?

There are many scriptures related to tithing in both the Old and New Testaments.
0 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr
mike
Affiliation: ConMen

Post by mike »

Ken wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2023 9:04 pm
mike wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2023 8:27 pmTithing
Seriously?

There are many scriptures related to tithing in both the Old and New Testaments.
I'm stirring the waters with that one. I'm well familiar with tithing being taught in the Old Testament. But I'd like to see where tithing is taught in the New Testament.
0 x
Remember the prisoners, as though you were in prison with them, and the mistreated, as though you yourselves were suffering bodily. -Heb. 13:3
Ernie
Affiliation: Anabaptist Umbrella

Post by Ernie »

Sudsy wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 9:31 pm If D&R is a state of perpetual adultery then so is not being baptised by immersion living in a state of perpetual disobedience. What if God says, at judgment day, why did you not follow the NT practise of water baptism as it originally was performed and you never even asked for forgiveness for changing the practise ?

I am in no way promoting D&R as this is not God's original intent yet to believe this puts anyone in a state of perpetual adultery I believe is incorrect. I am very grateful for the mercy of God and am trusting His mercy will endure forever.

Others can believe what they chose and this is my last post regarding this topic.
The difference between D&R and not being immersed is so different I don't know how to respond.

People who are familiar with the Bible but do not immerse generally do not understand the text. It is a problem of ignorance.
People who are familiar with the Bible but divorce and remarry generally do understand the text. This is not a problem of ignorance. These people understand what they are doing but hope for mercy. This is not the case with non-immersionists.

I'm very glad for mercy but mercy is not promised to those who know what God said about certain behaviors but do it anyway and hope everything will be ok.
1 x
The old woodcutter spoke again. “It is impossible to talk with you. You always draw conclusions. Life is so vast, yet you judge all of life with one page or one word. You see only a fragment. Unless you know the whole story, how can you judge?"
Josh

Post by Josh »

Ernie wrote: Sun Jun 25, 2023 10:41 pm People who are familiar with the Bible but do not immerse generally do not understand the text. It is a problem of ignorance.
Lots of people who understand the text very well don’t agree it means “immerse”. My Bible does not say “immerse”; it says “baptise”.

We need to be careful not to add our own opinions to scripture.
0 x
Sudsy
Affiliation: Salvation Army

Post by Sudsy »

Josh wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 8:32 am
Ernie wrote: Sun Jun 25, 2023 10:41 pm People who are familiar with the Bible but do not immerse generally do not understand the text. It is a problem of ignorance.
Lots of people who understand the text very well don’t agree it means “immerse”. My Bible does not say “immerse”; it says “baptise”.

We need to be careful not to add our own opinions to scripture.
The meaning of the word baptizo in Greek is essentially "dip" or "immerse," not sprinkle and the descriptions of baptisms in the New Testament suggest that people went down into the water to be immersed rather than having water brought to them in a container to be poured or sprinkled.

I don't accept that this is an opinion but rather a fact, a method with many NT examples and none of these suggest a sprinkling or pouring. And lots of Christians, including some Anabaptists, understand what did occur in the NT was immersion basptism and follow this mode.
There simply is no proof, biblical or otherwise, that the original Christians — under the leadership of inspired men — practiced sprinkling as a form of baptism.
Consider this - https://christiancourier.com/articles/d ... sprinkling
0 x
Pursuing a Kingdom life in the Spirit
Soloist
Affiliation: CM Seeker

Post by Soloist »

Sudsy wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 11:38 am
The meaning of the word baptizo in Greek is essentially "dip" or "immerse," not sprinkle and the descriptions of baptisms in the New Testament suggest that people went down into the water to be immersed rather than having water brought to them in a container to be poured or sprinkled.
And who told us that what the Greek meant?
0 x
Soloist, but I hate singing alone
Soloist, but my wife posts with me
Soloist, but I believe in community
Soloist, but I want God in the pilot seat