Is faith relevant in ethics?

General Christian Theology
PetrChelcicky
Affiliation: none

Is faith relevant in ethics?

Post by PetrChelcicky »

I just read an article in "Anabaptist World" about Jewish-Mennonite dialogue, in this case at AMBS.
Here a person named Amy-Jill Levine opened the symposium with a public plenary address, “Misunderstanding Judaism Means Misunderstanding Jesus and Paul.” Levine is "Rabbi Stanley M. Kessler Distinguished Professor of New Testament and Jewish Studies" at Hartford International University for Religion and Peace and professor emerita at Vanderbilt University.

Levine presented reasons why Christian sermons and teachings continue to perpetuate antisemitic impressions and discussed common mistakes Christian preachers and teachers can make about the Jewish contexts of Jesus and Paul. She encouraged Mennonites to profess a “high Christology,” in which Jesus’ uniqueness is expressed for Christians in terms of his divine identity more than in terms of his ethical teachings, which can be found in Jewish sources as well.

I support the idea that everything (and its opposite) can be found in some Christian or Jewish source, if only you look long enough for it. Notwithstanding i think that there are tendencies and probabilities which lead to different modes of conduct resp.ways to behave.

As an example I take the Tree of Life Synagogue shooting case against Robert Bowers. Here the Federal Attorney pleads for the death penalty. (Biden and Garland both have spoken out against the death penalty and in fact Garland pronounced a moratorium for death penalties, but here they are relying on "aggravated circumstances".)

Of the eleven Jewish families concerned with personal losses, nine have lobbied for a death penalty.

Do you really think that, in a comparable case, nine of eleven Anabaptist families would have lobbied for a death penalty? I doubt it very much.

Interesting is the case of Catholics. Bowers' defense team wanted to look up, if Catholics had been excluded from serving as jurors because of the Catholic stance against the death penalty (I don't know anything about the present Catholic position).
I must say that Bowers has an unusually good defense team (compared to other "rightwing extremists"), don't know why. They will invoke the mental health question. (They even might invoke the question of intelligence - low intelligence has saved many Blacks from the death row and Bowers has been a high school dropout.)

My first source was:
https://www.unz.com/estriker/brazen-hyp ... lty-trial/
As Striker is not always reliable I looked for a more neutral source which was:
https://triblive.com/local/robert-bower ... ting-case/
0 x