General Christian Theology
Sudsy
Affiliation: Salvation Army

Re: Sermon Topics

Post by Sudsy »

Valerie wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 7:17 pm
MaxPC wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 9:56 am
Grace wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 9:50 am

Agreed. Yesterday our Sunday School lesson contained the text out of Philippians 2: 3& 4.

" Let nothing be done through strife or vainglory; but in lowliness of mind let each esteem other better than themselves. Look not every man on his own things, but every man also on the things of others".

I fear that the world's voices on making oneself the center, instead of others, have infiltrated the Anabaptist churches. We need sermon topics on how to flesh that out.

Another sermon topic, would be the sin of pride and how to live a life of humility.
Indeed and agreed.
I just watched a Pastor who spoke at our Church (at the Basics Conference which actually was for Pastors but made available to us on youtube) and his topic was "Spiritual Pride". It was such an enlightening message which he gave 4 behaviors to be aware of that can indicate spiritual pride in a person (was for pastors but I found enlisting to it that any of us as Christians can have this infection and not realize it so it was beneficial to have those red flags areas pointed out)

Spiritual Pride
Someone once said 'When we are full of ourselves there is no room for God'. I thought that was a good way to put it.
1 x
Pursuing a Kingdom life in the Spirit
Sudsy
Affiliation: Salvation Army

Post by Sudsy »

A sermon on 'good deeds' with a starting scripture Gal 6:9-10
Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up. Therefore, as we have opportunity, let us do good to all people, especially to those who belong to the family of believers.
There are quite a number of scriptures regarding doing good deeds and their impact. What I have noticed in our area is that those Christians most involved in doing good deeds to all people are not those considered by some to be very evangelical.

This has stood out to me more lately and I wonder if it could be an over emphasis of our good works not saving us and over looking the various texts on good deeds being so important in living a Christian life and making impact on the salvation of others.

Perhaps some here could point me to a sermon or two they really liked on this topic on the Internet.
1 x
Pursuing a Kingdom life in the Spirit
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

Grace wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 9:50 am

Agreed. Yesterday our Sunday School lesson contained the text out of Philippians 2: 3& 4.

" Let nothing be done through strife or vainglory; but in lowliness of mind let each esteem other better than themselves. Look not every man on his own things, but every man also on the things of others".

I fear that the world's voices on making oneself the center, instead of others, have infiltrated the Anabaptist churches. We need sermon topics on how to flesh that out.

Another sermon topic, would be the sin of pride and how to live a life of humility.
Indeed and agreed.
I just watched a Pastor who spoke at our Church (at the Basics Conference which actually was for Pastors but made available to us on youtube) and his topic was "Spiritual Pride". It was such an enlightening message which he gave 4 behaviors to be aware of that can indicate spiritual pride in a person (was for pastors but I found enlisting to it that any of us as Christians can have this infection and not realize it so it was beneficial to have those red flags areas pointed out)

Spiritual Pride
Is there a link to this one? I know the Rule of ST. Benedict addresses spiritual pride and I would like to compare the RB to his talking points, “for fun” as it were.
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
Valerie
Affiliation: non-denominational

Post by Valerie »

MaxPC wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 9:30 am

Indeed and agreed.

Spiritual Pride
Is there a link to this one? I know the Rule of ST. Benedict addresses spiritual pride and I would like to compare the RB to his talking points, “for fun” as it were.

Keep in mind, this is the "Opening" session to the 3 day Basics conference for Pastors - so Colin Smith starts his message about 32 minutes into this-

Is there a link to yours?

Before you're arrival to Mennodoscuss Max i posted a message on Spiritual Pride given at an Anabaptist Church- audio only but i so appreciated it & will try to find if its available still

Found it! (2009 sermon feom a visiting padtor to an Anabaptist Church)

Beware of Spiritual Pride

http://www.ephrataministries.org/msg_de ... index=4264
1 x
Valerie
Affiliation: non-denominational

Post by Valerie »

Worship in Spirit and Truth
Based on John 4:23,24.

What this means, and how to make application.
0 x
Ernie
Affiliation: Anabaptist Umbrella

Post by Ernie »

"And be ye kind one to another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another." This instruction was not written to preschoolers.
3 x
The old woodcutter spoke again. “It is impossible to talk with you. You always draw conclusions. Life is so vast, yet you judge all of life with one page or one word. You see only a fragment. Unless you know the whole story, how can you judge?"
Ernie
Affiliation: Anabaptist Umbrella

Post by Ernie »

"Luke 14:12-14
12 Then said he also to him that bade him, When thou makest a dinner or a supper, call not thy friends, nor thy brethren, neither thy kinsmen, nor thy rich neighbours; lest they also bid thee again, and a recompence be made thee.
13 But when thou makest a feast, call the poor, the maimed, the lame, the blind:
14 And thou shalt be blessed; for they cannot recompense thee: for thou shalt be recompensed at the resurrection of the just.
2 x
The old woodcutter spoke again. “It is impossible to talk with you. You always draw conclusions. Life is so vast, yet you judge all of life with one page or one word. You see only a fragment. Unless you know the whole story, how can you judge?"
MaxPC

Post by MaxPC »

Valerie wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 10:00 pm
MaxPC wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 9:30 am

Spiritual Pride

Keep in mind, this is the "Opening" session to the 3 day Basics conference for Pastors - so Colin Smith starts his message about 32 minutes into this-

Is there a link to yours?

Before you're arrival to Mennodoscuss Max i posted a message on Spiritual Pride given at an Anabaptist Church- audio only but i so appreciated it & will try to find if its available still

Found it! (2009 sermon feom a visiting padtor to an Anabaptist Church)

Beware of Spiritual Pride

http://www.ephrataministries.org/msg_de ... index=4264
Thank you. There is no link to the Rule of St. Benedict and its correlative commentaries. They are only in book form. Nevertheless, I would hazard to say that nearly all fellowships that seek to be faithful to full Biblical teachings will also address spiritual pride (something that Saul suffered from until his conversion by Christ).
1 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
ohio jones
Affiliation: Rosedale Network

Post by ohio jones »

MaxPC wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 4:53 pm There is no link to the Rule of St. Benedict and its correlative commentaries. They are only in book form.
Ah, but the book has been scanned and images are available at this link. :)

Of course, some might prefer an English translation. In book form, on the web. 8-)
1 x
I grew up around Indiana, You grew up around Galilee; And if I ever really do grow up, I wanna grow up to be just like You -- Rich Mullins

I am a Christian and my name is Pilgram; I'm on a journey, but I'm not alone -- NewSong, slightly edited
MaxPC

Post by MaxPC »

ohio jones wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 8:34 pm
MaxPC wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 4:53 pm There is no link to the Rule of St. Benedict and its correlative commentaries. They are only in book form.
Ah, but the book has been scanned and images are available at this link. :)

Of course, some might prefer an English translation. In book form, on the web. 8-)
That is not the copyright edition I use nor its commentaries. My son said that my edition (London, 1931) is now (most recently) available in a PDF format. I have the hard copy book along with monastic commentaries. Bear in mind it is in the King's English and not American English.
1931 London RB
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)