Orthodox and Catholic Apologetics

General Christian Theology
Chris
Affiliation: Moderate / unaffil

Re: Orthodox and Catholic Apologetics

Post by Chris »

MaxPC wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 9:58 pm
Chris wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 9:01 pm But yes, people will entrap each other. It's difficult. But we also forgive. :)
Indeed, yes, forgiveness is important. Christ continued Matthew 10:14 with
Matthew 10:16 
:
“Behold, I am sending you out as sheep in the midst of wolves, so be wise as serpents and innocent as doves.
Jesus is concerned about the state of the soul of His disciples who are carrying the Gospel message. He knew that we would encounter the hard-hearted and that they would try to taunt us, make us betray Christ’s message by giving in to their taunts and becoming angry.

Anger hardens hearts and a hardened heart finds it very difficult to forgive. Hence Christ told us to shake the dust from our feet; not from lack of forgiveness but rather to protect the heart of the disciple from being hardened from the angry arguments that are endemic with individuals who refuse to listen. By listening to Christ; and refusing to argue with those who refuse to listen; we are protecting our hearts from bitterness.

St. Paul echoes this teaching:
Romans 16:19

For your obedience is known to all, so that I rejoice over you, but I want you to be wise as to what is good and innocent as to what is evil.

Philippians 2:15

that you may be blameless and innocent, children of God without blemish in the midst of a crooked and twisted generation, among whom you shine as lights in the world
Thank you for those verses and I will dwell on them and pray about them.
1 x