Well, that happened.

General Christian Theology
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Well, that happened.

Post by Josh »

85% of the Anglican Communion met in Rwanda at GAFCON (which is their global conference, basically) and decided to reject the Church of England's embrace of homosexuality. This comes on the heels of them doing the same rejection of The Episcopal Church in the US's same misdeeds.

In a certain twist of irony, the groups and countries that soundly rejected this are the fruits of Anglican mission work 100 and 200 years ago. Perhaps the West will need to be evangelised some day by the third world; that day may be coming sooner than any of us might think.
5 x
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

Re: Well, that happened.

Post by Bootstrap »

Josh wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 10:35 am 85% of the Anglican Communion met in Rwanda at GAFCON (which is their global conference, basically) and decided to reject the Church of England's embrace of homosexuality. This comes on the heels of them doing the same rejection of The Episcopal Church in the US's same misdeeds.

In a certain twist of irony, the groups and countries that soundly rejected this are the fruits of Anglican mission work 100 and 200 years ago. Perhaps the West will need to be evangelised some day by the third world; that day may be coming sooner than any of us might think.
I think we can already learn a WHOLE lot from our brothers and sisters in most of the world, who are most of the Christian church. The American Church badly needs a reminder to live out the same Kingdom of God that Jesus preached. That certainly includes biblical teaching on homosexuality, but so much more.
2 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

Even years ago, some speculated about rising Christian leadership coming out of Africa.

In Catholicism, CARDINAL SARAH stood out. Many hope he might be the next pope.
i also appreciate CARDINAL BURKE, his health is not great.

There can be no surprise authentic faith is more readily found removed from wealth and comfort!
It’s described throughout scriptures, and examples are found IRL in history and contemporary times.

What has become of Cardinal Robert Sarah?
The former head of the Vatican's liturgy office has not gone quietly into retirement.
By Loup Besmond de Senneville | Vatican City
April 16, 2021
Read more at: https://international.la-croix.com/news ... arah/14137#

https://international.la-croix.com/news ... arah/14137
Cardinal Robert Sarah has officially retired as prefect of the Congregation for Divine Worship and the Discipline of the Sacraments.

But even though he stepped down from the high-profile Vatican post on February 20, the 75-year-old Guinean continues to live in Rome and play an active role in global Church affairs.

Read more at: https://international.la-croix.com/news ... arah/14137#

One can only wonder at the level of howling that would follow Cardinal Sarah.

0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
Neto
Affiliation: Gospel Haven

Post by Neto »

The same sort of thing has happened in the Presbyterian church (or at least is in the works).
2 x
Congregation: Gospel Haven Mennonite Fellowship, Benton, Ohio (Holmes Co.) a split from Beachy-Amish Mennonite.
Personal heritage & general theological viewpoint: conservative Mennonite Brethren.
temporal1

Post by temporal1 »

Neto wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 12:14 pm The same sort of thing has happened in the Presbyterian church (or at least is in the works).
and all the rest, so far as i can tell.
1 x

UNKNOWN
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

Neto wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 12:14 pm The same sort of thing has happened in the Presbyterian church (or at least is in the works).
Also COB (Church of the Brethren). Two years ago or so, Covenant Brethren Church formed as the new Brethren fellowship that embraces fidelity to authentic Scripture. They left COB due to the twisted scripture interpretations going on with issues of homosexuality, etc.

Presently, about half of the churches have left COB and joined the Biblically faithful Covenant Brethren Church.
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
Valerie
Affiliation: non-denominational

Post by Valerie »

We went to a birthday party Monday night, the Orthodox priest's wife that were friends with. Father Andrew was sharing with us how he is meeting more and more people coming from different denominations that are seeking to become Orthodox, he's quite busy with teaching them so they can be baptized or Chrismated if they had already been baptized in a trinitarian baptism elsewhere.

One of these people was sharing with him about the Mennonite Church in Goshen Indiana and how they are embracing homosexuality. Few denominations are exempt from these splits.

One thing I ponder. All my Christian Life I've been going to Christian bookstores. The last 15 years or so has been a very growing interest in Amish novels. So you walk in the average Christian bookstore and they've got tons of them.

The Amish are not dealing with these issues like other denominations are. Why or why not? In my opinion they have maintained clearly distinctive roles between men and women for one thing. Any other ideas? They will not stray from the truth of God's worth at all
0 x
temporal1

Post by temporal1 »

Valerie:
.. They will not stray from the truth of God's worth [word] at all
In Africa, S.A., N.A., other, you might be onto something. ✝️
0 x

UNKNOWN
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

Valerie wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 8:06 am We went to a birthday party Monday night, the Orthodox priest's wife that were friends with. Father Andrew was sharing with us how he is meeting more and more people coming from different denominations that are seeking to become Orthodox, he's quite busy with teaching them so they can be baptized or Chrismated if they had already been baptized in a trinitarian baptism elsewhere.

One of these people was sharing with him about the Mennonite Church in Goshen Indiana and how they are embracing homosexuality. Few denominations are exempt from these splits.

One thing I ponder. All my Christian Life I've been going to Christian bookstores. The last 15 years or so has been a very growing interest in Amish novels. So you walk in the average Christian bookstore and they've got tons of them.

The Amish are not dealing with these issues like other denominations are. Why or why not? In my opinion they have maintained clearly distinctive roles between men and women for one thing. Any other ideas? They will not stray from the truth of God's worth at all
The (Holdeman) Mennonite church in Goshen isn’t dealing with any splits or these issues either.
0 x
Joy
Affiliation: Baptist

Post by Joy »

Valerie, some of these issues are happening among the Amish, but they don't deal with them publicly. I recall reading the story of a homosexual Amish serial killer who killed five people, including his pregnant wife and his young son; also another Amish man who brutally killed his wife to deeath.

Incest and molestation have traditionally gone unpunished in the Amish community, but now as more light is being shed on the subject, victims are finding they can get help. But they may be told hell is certain for them by getting the police involved.
0 x
2Tim. 3:16,17 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works.