Honor the king

General Christian Theology
Grace
Affiliation: Mennonite

Re: Honor the king

Post by Grace »

Ken wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 5:45 pm

We live in a democracy and our actual "sovereign" is not the President but "we the people" and the Constitution that our forefathers established such that we can govern ourselves.

You do not have to agree with President Biden or former President Trump or any other president. But you should respect the process through which your fellow citizens decided to elect them to the office that they temporarily hold. And to the extent that you disagree with any political leader you should honor the process we have created to replace them and the process we have created to govern ourselves. As opposed to taking up arms against it or trying to tear it down.

If your most important issue is abortion, then yes, seek to persuade people and seek to elect leaders who represent your views. But understand that in a democracy, you are unlikely to see every policy enacted exactly as you think it should be. Especially when it comes to issues for which there is widespread public disagreement. Our Constitution with all its many checks and balances makes it DELIBERATELY difficult to implement policies that get out too far ahead of public opinion. That is exactly what our founders intended. And it is their wisdom that you should honor, not any specific leader that you might agree with or disagree with.

This means it is difficult for one side to erase abortion from our national landscape and it is equally difficult for another side to erase firearms or carbon emissions. In a democracy, change is always incremental. That is exactly how our founders intended it. And that is how we avoid tyranny.
Your putting words in my mouth. I do respect the process through which our leaders are put into office. Where in this thread did I take up arms against the process of electing leaders? In other threads I mentioned that lack of voter ID, mail in ballots and ballot harvesting could increase the opportunity to cheat. Just voicing an opinion on the matter, doesn't mean I am tearing the process down. I also think this nations founders were very wise in the way they set up our government system.

However that is not what this thread is about. It is about giving credit and credence to the promotion of evil and to the leaders who do the promoting. That being said, if I met the current president or any past president, I would show him respect and courtesy, because that is my Christian duty, not only to him, but to all people. But I can never respect the promotion of evil.
1 x
Soloist
Affiliation: CM Seeker

Post by Soloist »

Grace wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 7:38 pm However that is not what this thread is about. It is about giving credit and credence to the promotion of evil and to the leaders who do the promoting. That being said, if I met the current president or any past president, I would show him respect and courtesy, because that is my Christian duty, not only to him, but to all people. But I can never respect the promotion of evil.
This thread is not about promoting evil. It’s about condemning those who use evil to condemn evil.
1 x
Soloist, but I hate singing alone
Soloist, but my wife posts with me
Soloist, but I believe in community
Soloist, but I want God in the pilot seat
Grace

Post by Grace »

ohio jones wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 6:19 pm I would make a distinction between what we say to them and what we say about them. If you have opportunity to meet the president or another political leader and use that opportunity to tell him bluntly of his sins and call him to repentance, sure. If you are called to write him a letter or email in a prophetic tone, do it.

In case you forgot, we had several years of an almost daily drumbeat of Trump bashing with insinuations that evangelicals who liked his policies are practically idolators, and so much more. Did the people who bashed him, use that opportunity to tell him bluntly of his sins and call him to repentance? Or write him letters in a prophetic tone?

That being said, I have respect for much of what you post, and if we hadn't had a few years of Trump bashing I would view what you posted differently.
0 x
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Post by Ken »

Grace wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 7:38 pm
Ken wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 5:45 pm

We live in a democracy and our actual "sovereign" is not the President but "we the people" and the Constitution that our forefathers established such that we can govern ourselves.

You do not have to agree with President Biden or former President Trump or any other president. But you should respect the process through which your fellow citizens decided to elect them to the office that they temporarily hold. And to the extent that you disagree with any political leader you should honor the process we have created to replace them and the process we have created to govern ourselves. As opposed to taking up arms against it or trying to tear it down.

If your most important issue is abortion, then yes, seek to persuade people and seek to elect leaders who represent your views. But understand that in a democracy, you are unlikely to see every policy enacted exactly as you think it should be. Especially when it comes to issues for which there is widespread public disagreement. Our Constitution with all its many checks and balances makes it DELIBERATELY difficult to implement policies that get out too far ahead of public opinion. That is exactly what our founders intended. And it is their wisdom that you should honor, not any specific leader that you might agree with or disagree with.

This means it is difficult for one side to erase abortion from our national landscape and it is equally difficult for another side to erase firearms or carbon emissions. In a democracy, change is always incremental. That is exactly how our founders intended it. And that is how we avoid tyranny.
Your putting words in my mouth. I do respect the process through which our leaders are put into office. Where in this thread did I take up arms against the process of electing leaders? In other threads I mentioned that lack of voter ID, mail in ballots and ballot harvesting could increase the opportunity to cheat. Just voicing an opinion on the matter, doesn't mean I am tearing the process down. I also think this nations founders were very wise in the way they set up our government system.

However that is not what this thread is about. It is about giving credit and credence to the promotion of evil and to the leaders who do the promoting. That being said, if I met the current president or any past president, I would show him respect and courtesy, because that is my Christian duty, not only to him, but to all people. But I can never respect the promotion of evil.
I am not trying to put words into your mouth. I am giving my interpretation of what I think it means to follow 1 Peter's command to "honor the Emperor" in a 21st Century American context. When I wrote "you" above I was paraphrasing Peter and I meant all of us and not just you individually. As in what I believe Peter was telling all of us to do.
0 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr
Grace

Post by Grace »

Soloist wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 7:43 pm
Grace wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 7:38 pm However that is not what this thread is about. It is about giving credit and credence to the promotion of evil and to the leaders who do the promoting. That being said, if I met the current president or any past president, I would show him respect and courtesy, because that is my Christian duty, not only to him, but to all people. But I can never respect the promotion of evil.
This thread is not about promoting evil. It’s about condemning those who use evil to condemn evil.

You obviously have a problem with me saying that Biden is a borderline pedophile and I gather that offended you. FWIW there are many videos and photos of him, as an older man, sniffing the hair of little girls, having his hands close to their breast areas of young girls, pulling them into his crotch area, etc. I will respect your wishes to not post these videos, but they are plenty of them out there. Then there is the whole issue of his daughter writing in her diary that as a young girl he showered with her. Maybe my words about the president were harsh, we don't know his heart, but those actions, done by any individual, are consistent with pedophile behavior. And if you think it is using evil to state that fact, than so be it.

That being said I will be more careful with my words in the future.
2 x
ohio jones
Affiliation: Rosedale Network

Post by ohio jones »

This thread is being locked at the request of the OP.
0 x
I grew up around Indiana, You grew up around Galilee; And if I ever really do grow up, I wanna grow up to be just like You -- Rich Mullins

I am a Christian and my name is Pilgram; I'm on a journey, but I'm not alone -- NewSong, slightly edited