Charles Stanley 1932-2023

General Christian Theology
Ernie
Affiliation: Anabaptist Umbrella

Re: Charles Stanley 1932-2023

Post by Ernie »

Szdfan wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 5:55 pmI think there's a huge difference between Charles Stanley's divorce and John Howard Yoder's sexual abuse.
Yes. I don't think God will judge Yoder based on the yardstick he used to judge others. In Yoder's case, I think it will be based on God's moral standard.
0 x
The old woodcutter spoke again. “It is impossible to talk with you. You always draw conclusions. Life is so vast, yet you judge all of life with one page or one word. You see only a fragment. Unless you know the whole story, how can you judge?"
Szdfan
Affiliation: MCUSA

Post by Szdfan »

Ernie wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 9:02 pm
Szdfan wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 5:55 pmI think there's a huge difference between Charles Stanley's divorce and John Howard Yoder's sexual abuse.
Yes. I don't think God will judge Yoder based on the yardstick he used to judge others. In Yoder's case, I think it will be based on God's moral standard.
Sure, but that doesn't really answer the question on how to handle Yoder's theology in the here and now.
0 x
“It’s easy to make everything a conspiracy when you don’t know how anything works.” — Brandon L. Bradford
Ernie
Affiliation: Anabaptist Umbrella

Post by Ernie »

Szdfan wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 6:02 am
Ernie wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 9:02 pm
Sure, but that doesn't really answer the question on how to handle Yoder's theology in the here and now.
As with any resource, take what is good and leave what is not.

I avoid quoting anyone by name in public speaking - anyone who professed faith and relationship with Christ but is not known to have repented of their sin. I used to quote Ravi Zacharias publicly. I no longer do.
1 x
The old woodcutter spoke again. “It is impossible to talk with you. You always draw conclusions. Life is so vast, yet you judge all of life with one page or one word. You see only a fragment. Unless you know the whole story, how can you judge?"
Sudsy
Affiliation: Salvation Army

Post by Sudsy »

Speaking of judging others, here are many scriptures regarding judging others. Some to consider as we talk about other professing Christians.

https://www.openbible.info/topics/judging_others
0 x
Pursuing a Kingdom life in the Spirit
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

Ernie wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 7:39 am
Szdfan wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 6:02 am
Ernie wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 9:02 pm Yes. I don't think God will judge Yoder based on the yardstick he used to judge others. In Yoder's case, I think it will be based on God's moral standard.
As with any resource, take what is good and leave what is not.

I avoid quoting anyone by name in public speaking - anyone who professed faith and relationship with Christ but is not known to have repented of their sin. I used to quote Ravi Zacharias publicly. I no longer do.
Good example.
The important part is, warning away from idol worship, which is ‘way too much promoted in western culture.
The wakeup calls can be painful. But so important!!

Honduras Keiser has a fascinating new topic:
Paganism
viewtopic.php?t=5656
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN