The Catholic Faith in a Nutshell

General Christian Theology
Ernie
Affiliation: Anabaptist Umbrella

The Catholic Faith in a Nutshell

Post by Ernie »

I'm sure MaxPC will want to summarize the Catholic faith.

The rest of your are welcome to make a stab at this as long as you try to frame it in a way that the majority of Catholics would say, "Yes, that is a good way to summarize our faith."
0 x
The old woodcutter spoke again. “It is impossible to talk with you. You always draw conclusions. Life is so vast, yet you judge all of life with one page or one word. You see only a fragment. Unless you know the whole story, how can you judge?"
HondurasKeiser
Affiliation: LMC & IEMH

Re: The Catholic Faith in a Nutshell

Post by HondurasKeiser »

I’ll take a stab…”We need God’s Grace to sustain us from day to day and the sacraments are the conduits by which we have access to that life-sustaining grace. Grace is not just a spiritual, ephemeral experience but an embodied, incarnated act that we need to keep coming back to. The liturgy, the calendar, the life of the church revolves around that fact.”

How’d I do, Max?
1 x
Affiliation: Lancaster Mennonite Conference & Honduran Mennonite Evangelical Church
Neto
Affiliation: Gospel Haven

Post by Neto »

From the Brazilian layman point of view, Jesus is the most important person - as well as Mary and all of the saints. (This is from a conversation with a taxi driver in Forteleza in 85 or early 86, while we lived there in the North East.)
1 x
Congregation: Gospel Haven Mennonite Fellowship, Benton, Ohio (Holmes Co.) a split from Beachy-Amish Mennonite.
Personal heritage & general theological viewpoint: conservative Mennonite Brethren.
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

HondurasKeiser wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 11:03 pm I’ll take a stab…”We need God’s Grace to sustain us from day to day and the sacraments are the conduits by which we have access to that life-sustaining grace. Grace is not just a spiritual, ephemeral experience but an embodied, incarnated act that we need to keep coming back to. The liturgy, the calendar, the life of the church revolves around that fact.”

How’d I do, Max?
Lovely, HK. Well done.
That is certainly one part of the teachings. That explanation is also embedded within a larger section that includes the teaching on the availability of God's grace to those who do not have access to the sacraments, e.g. the infirm, those in war zones and the missionaries. Cardinal Ratzinger in his recreation of the Catechism was a thorough man; he researched every possible contingency based upon the writings of the Bible and Early Church.
Ernie wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 9:07 pm I'm sure MaxPC will want to summarize the Catholic faith.
Ah to summarise would take months of reading if one were to approach it within proper context. 2000 years of Catholic teaching cannot be contained in a forum. In that 2 millenia, much has been discerned and studied; categorised into the Deposit of the Faith (non-negotiable beliefs) and the optional practices that are encountered in daily living.

If one is serious about understanding that which the Catholic Church truly teaches, I recommend a thorough study of the The Nicene Creed plus the following two volumes:
  • The Bible
  • The Catechism of the Catholic Church, 2nd Edition: (which uses the Bible and includes the teachings of the Early Church fathers as references). I will reference this henceforth as CCC.)
The CCC explains Catholic doctrine and its daily praxis based upon the teachings of the Bible and the Early Church fathers.

If one wishes, a thorough and paced reading should take approximately a year, if one has a day job. The footnotes and appendices are worth the time for clear understanding as well. The CCC is a tough slog if one is not familiar with Catholic vocabulary and terminology. Indeed it is a tough slog for many Catholics. Though it is available online at the USCCB American Bishops' site as well as the Vatican website, I am concerned that all of that screen time will cause dry eyes as it is approximately 1000 pages (depending upon which copy you access). It certainly would dry out my old eyes.

A book in hand is healthier for the eyes. for slow and thoughtful reading. It also allows one to make footnotes in the margins. Many libraries have a copy of it; or a good used one can be bought for less than $5. Check to be sure that the copy is the 2nd edition and has the Imprimi Potest + Joseph Cardinal Ratzinger on the copyright page. The 2nd edition corrects some errata that appeared in the first printing.

To study these would be a serious effort of both time and energy. Many would be daunted by the prospect.
Neto wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 7:27 am From the Brazilian layman point of view, Jesus is the most important person - as well as Mary and all of the saints. (This is from a conversation with a taxi driver in Forteleza in 85 or early 86, while we lived there in the North East.)
Yes, that is certainly an example of South American layman culture as well as other layman cultures.
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by Bootstrap »

The catechism is here, in a very readable form:

https://www.usccb.org/sites/default/fil ... echism/VI/

You can read it with cross-references and references to other sources here:

https://www.vatican.va/archive/ENG0015/_INDEX.HTM

It gives a good "in a nutshell" description of many areas of Catholic teaching, but the document itself is over 600 pages.
0 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?
steve-in-kville
Affiliation: Hippie Anabaptist

Post by steve-in-kville »

My current employer has pretty conservative anabaptist roots. That said, today, we have more Catholic employees than we do conservative anabaptist employees. I have drawn the conclusion that Catholics are just like Anabaptists: you have ones that are really devout to their faith, and then there are others who are going through the motions and/or just living the lifestyle.

I appreciate both faiths and those who spiritually invested.
2 x
I self-identify as a conspiracy theorist. My pronouns are told/you/so.

Owner/admin at https://milepost81.com/
My *almost* daily blog: https://milepost81.com/blog/
For railfans: https://milepost81.com/home/random-railfan-posts/
joshuabgood
Affiliation: BMA

Post by joshuabgood »

A few years back a friend gave me a hard copy of and I read the 1100 page or so catechism I have. There is a lot of really great stuff in there...fwiw. More pages in there than are in my Bible =)
1 x
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

joshuabgood wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 10:58 am A few years back a friend gave me a hard copy of and I read the 1100 page or so catechism I have. There is a lot of really great stuff in there...fwiw. More pages in there than are in my Bible =)
Neither Martin Luther nor Menno Simons wanted to leave the Catholic Church.
This is something that has been largely lost over time. Understandably so, but it helps to remember.

i was very confused about this as a child and teen. i mean, about how we could all be so different as Christians while all believing in God, all using the Bible. (i wasn’t aware of different Bibles, or what that meant.) i was horrified when i had a young teen crush on a Catholic boy, it caused a WWIII-level family blow up that continues to be brought up at family gatherings. :roll: except the pandemic has eliminated family gatherings and so many elders have passed. my contemporaries remember! :P

The boy disappeared, i was puzzled. Occasionally, i noticed him driving by with his friends, never stopping or waving.
Years later one older sister told me our mother probably talked with him, or his family. Why didn’t i think of that?
Years later, i imagine, if our families talked, his family was probably more than willing to keep him away.

i think he’s married and lives in Colorado. for decades. of course i’ve never pursued anything further. lol

At this time, i have a beloved granddaughter i can imagine might become a nun. She is so sweet, so modest, so sensitive, an innocent believer. Just this week i was thinking, the world has become so ugly (dedicated, formal, normalized ugly) i could imagine she might make such a choice. Maybe many young ones will. What is set before them in the world is not appealing.
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
ohio jones
Affiliation: Rosedale Network

Post by ohio jones »

MaxPC wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 7:41 am Ah to summarise would take months of reading if one were to approach it within proper context. 2000 years of Catholic teaching cannot be contained in a forum. In that 2 millenia, much has been discerned and studied; categorised into the Deposit of the Faith (non-negotiable beliefs) and the optional practices that are encountered in daily living.
That's nuts. :P
Pilgram Marpeck wrote:Everyone who really desires it may read only the plain texts of biblical Scripture, omit the additional notes, and thus make his judgment.
Schleitheim Confession wrote:Christ is simply Yea and Nay, and all those who seek Him simply will understand His Word.
1 x
I grew up around Indiana, You grew up around Galilee; And if I ever really do grow up, I wanna grow up to be just like You -- Rich Mullins

I am a Christian and my name is Pilgram; I'm on a journey, but I'm not alone -- NewSong, slightly edited
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

“In a nutshell” .. :lol:
ohio jones wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 12:00 pm
MaxPC wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 7:41 am Ah to summarise would take months of reading if one were to approach it within proper context. 2000 years of Catholic teaching cannot be contained in a forum. In that 2 millenia, much has been discerned and studied; categorised into the Deposit of the Faith (non-negotiable beliefs) and the optional practices that are encountered in daily living.
That's nuts. :P
Pilgram Marpeck wrote:Everyone who really desires it may read only the plain texts of biblical Scripture, omit the additional notes, and thus make his judgment.
Schleitheim Confession wrote:Christ is simply Yea and Nay, and all those who seek Him simply will understand His Word.
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN