Why Obey ?

General Christian Theology
Sudsy
Affiliation: .

Why Obey ?

Post by Sudsy »

Anabaptism is keen on obedience and stresses how important it is, which is a good and needful thing. However, I think there may be some differences in how obedience is viewed and why we are required to be obedient. I would like to explore this and welcome any Christian to join in.

In another thread I posted this and have been thinking more about it -
when we know God and why He has given us things to obey, we understand it is because He loves us and wants the best for us. We are abiding in His love when we obey and receive the benefits of obedience. Those who don't understand why God wants obedience and perhaps think following the rules just because they are rules don't know God and why He gives them.
Basically, the question is - why does God give us things to obey ? Is it because He is God and we don't need to know why, just do it ? Is He desiring that our life here be one of suffering and doing without and our fulfilling life will be after this life ? Or does God want us to have the best of living here and now ? Or for other reasons ?

What I meant by my quote above is that, imo, God wants the best life for us here and now, an abundant life of right living, joy and peace in the Holy Spirit and whatever is commanded that we give up is only that in doing so, we gain more real living here and now as well as eternally. Eternal life is also a quality of life that begins now if we believe and pursue it through obedience.

Why do you think God gives us things to obey ? And if it is for our best life now, why do many of us not reflect a life that the unsaved world would be more drawn to want ?
0 x
Pursuing a Kingdom life in the Spirit
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Re: Why Obey ?

Post by Josh »

God often compares us to little children. Why do children obey their parents?

Jesus compared us to sheep. Why do sheep follow the shepherd?
0 x
Sudsy

Post by Sudsy »

Josh wrote:God often compares us to little children. Why do children obey their parents?

And from your perspective the answers are ?
0 x
Josh

Post by Josh »

Sudsy wrote:
Josh wrote:God often compares us to little children. Why do children obey their parents?

If a child or a sheep asks "Why obey?" or "Why follow?", how would you answer them?
0 x
Valerie
Affiliation: non-denominational

Post by Valerie »

Josh wrote:
Sudsy wrote:

If a child or a sheep asks "Why obey?" or "Why follow?", how would you answer them?
Perhaps from a child or a sheep's standpoint, I think of the Psalmist-David, a man after God's own heart-

King James Bible
Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me.

Think about what the rod & staff means to a child, and to sheep-
0 x
Neto
Affiliation: Gospel Haven

Post by Neto »

I think that the only reason for which obedience matters at all is love. Jesus said: If you love me, obey my commandments. Any other reason is useless.
0 x
Congregation: Gospel Haven Mennonite Fellowship, Benton, Ohio (Holmes Co.) a split from Beachy-Amish Mennonite.
Personal heritage & general theological viewpoint: conservative Mennonite Brethren.
Josh

Post by Josh »

Neto wrote:I think that the only reason for which obedience matters at all is love. Jesus said: If you love me, obey my commandments. Any other reason is useless.
"Why do you call me, 'Lord, Lord,' and do not do what I say?"
0 x
Adam
Affiliation: Kingdom Christian

Post by Adam »

Sudsy wrote:And if it is for our best life now, why do many of us not reflect a life that the unsaved world would be more drawn to want ?
Because sin is fun and enticing, especially when you first engage in it. It is only once you are enslaved to it that you realize it isn't fun anymore. People prefer darkness to light and immediate sensual gratification to a sustained life of inner joy.
0 x
Josh

Post by Josh »

Adam wrote:
Sudsy wrote:And if it is for our best life now, why do many of us not reflect a life that the unsaved world would be more drawn to want ?
Because sin is fun and enticing, especially when you first engage in it. It is only once you are enslaved to it that you realize it isn't fun anymore. People prefer darkness to light and immediate sensual gratification to a sustained life of inner joy.
Indeed, you can't "sell" Christianity on the premise you'll get a better life, or sell heaven, or sell not going to hell.

Jesus took a different tactic: he said blessed are the poor; he told people to love their enemies. Then he told all kinds of stories about what his kingdom is like.

He who ears to hear, let him hear.
0 x
Sudsy

Post by Sudsy »

Josh wrote:
Adam wrote:
Indeed, you can't "sell" Christianity on the premise you'll get a better life, or sell heaven, or sell not going to hell.

Jesus took a different tactic: he said blessed are the poor; he told people to love their enemies. Then he told all kinds of stories about what his kingdom is like.

He who ears to hear, let him hear.
Did Jesus "sell" the way to a better life ? I believe He did. Jesus said this - The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy. I came that they may have life and have it abundantly. John 10:10 and then there is John 3:16 that promises eternal life and not perishing.

My argument on a Kingdom way of life being attractive is that when one is really living this life abundantly, the world will see that their temporary 'fun' times is lacking a peace and joy and other dimensions to life that only comes through Kingdom living. There are many testimonies of people who saw a dimension of abundant living (good deeds, love, joy and peace in the Holy Spirit) in certain followers of Christ that they knew they were missing and after searching this further became believers themselves. I believe Jesus called this shining our lights in away that cannot be ignored - "a city on a hill". We are the means God uses to bring others to Himself and this is more than just sharing our beliefs. It includes a demonstration of the fruit of the Spirit and abundant living that reflects a life that is obvious to not-yet-believers.

Sadly, the prosperity gospel is suggesting the Kingdom life is one of material gain. This says to me, that Kingdom life is not being taught and experienced much if the abundant life Jesus spoke of is about temporary material gain.

I agree with Neto who posted -
I think that the only reason for which obedience matters at all is love. Jesus said: If you love me, obey my commandments. Any other reason is useless.
Some obey out of fear, others obligation. But our proof that we love God is made manifest by our loving obedience because we know God is only asking us to obey because He loves us and wants the best life for us. God is not saying do or don't do this or that just because I'm the boss. Because God first loved us, we love God and we love God for all the many things He is to us. Being our Saviour from sin. Giving us the Holy Spirit and what all that means. The gift of eternal life. Etc, etc, etc.

Yes/No ? Why ?
0 x