Being 'in the zone'

General Christian Theology
Sudsy
Affiliation: Salvation Army

Being 'in the zone'

Post by Sudsy »

I moved this from the March Madness thread as I thought it might be worth a thread of it's own. From my last post there -

Now to the question - have you experienced a spiritual period when you would describe as 'being in the zone' ? Perhaps another way of saying it is a period of being under the Spirit's control and things were happening as Ephesians 3:20 puts it - 'Now to him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us' .

Check out this link and scroll down to how Christian athletes describe getting into a special zone spiritually and which one of these descriptions best describes an experience you have had spiritually ? Describe the situation if you care to.

https://www.fca.org/fca-in-action/2012/10/25/inthezone

Here is an example I thought was pretty good - “
It means having your eyes fixed on Jesus. What we look at is what we think about. What we think about is what we care about. What we care about is what we act upon. When we have our eyes on God, He blesses us by allowing us to see, think, care and act on things from a heavenly perspective rather than an earthly perspective.”
Another question - would you say that being 'in the zone' spiritually is a special state of experience of being filled and controlled by the Spirit that is beyond everyday experiences of God working in you ?
0 x
Pursuing a Kingdom life in the Spirit
Sudsy

Re: Being 'in the zone'

Post by Sudsy »

Perhaps I need to back up one step to see how many believe the Christian life is a supernatural life where we experience the supernatural influence and guiding of the Holy Spirit ?
0 x
steve-in-kville
Affiliation: Hippie Anabaptist

Post by steve-in-kville »

Yes, I have experienced this. I have also had experiences where the Lord's will for me has never been more clear, which I would keep separate from what you describe.

I may have mentioned this before, but a Christian needs to live true to themselves in order to experience these things.
0 x
I self-identify as a conspiracy theorist. My pronouns are told/you/so.

Owner/admin at https://milepost81.com/
For parents, railfans, and much more!
Sudsy

Post by Sudsy »

steve-in-kville wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 6:51 am Yes, I have experienced this. I have also had experiences where the Lord's will for me has never been more clear, which I would keep separate from what you describe.

I may have mentioned this before, but a Christian needs to live true to themselves in order to experience these things.
Steve, when you experience the clear will of the Lord for you, do you think that you have figured it out for yourself or has the Holy Spirit revealed to you what is so clear ? My guess is you would agree with the latter. If so, imo, that is operating in the supernatural.

Could you help me understand what you mean by being true to ourselves.

I have to go for now but hope we and others will join in.
0 x
steve-in-kville

Sudsy wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 10:34 am
steve-in-kville wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 6:51 am Yes, I have experienced this. I have also had experiences where the Lord's will for me has never been more clear, which I would keep separate from what you describe.

Steve, when you experience the clear will of the Lord for you, do you think that you have figured it out for yourself or has the Holy Spirit revealed to you what is so clear ? My guess is you would agree with the latter. If so, imo, that is operating in the supernatural.

I'll try to address these questions throughout the day.

By being true to one's self is not "fake it until you make it." Attempting to be spiritual when you are simply not. Either by speech, acts, dress, whatever... trying to give a false impression to those around you. A good example: we were part of a pretty conservative Brethren group years ago. It was announced that the ministry wanted to ordain another minister. Suddenly two men started silently "campaigning" for the spot... longer sleeve shirts all year long, suspenders, wore a vest under their suit coat, wives got bigger coverings. It was most comical. When teh dust settled, neither one got it!
0 x

RZehr
Affiliation: Cons. Mennonite

Post by RZehr »

steve-in-kville wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 10:46 am
Sudsy wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 10:34 am

I'll try to address these questions throughout the day.

By being true to one's self is not "fake it until you make it." Attempting to be spiritual when you are simply not. Either by speech, acts, dress, whatever... trying to give a false impression to those around you. A good example: we were part of a pretty conservative Brethren group years ago. It was announced that the ministry wanted to ordain another minister. Suddenly two men started silently "campaigning" for the spot... longer sleeve shirts all year long, suspenders, wore a vest under their suit coat, wives got bigger coverings. It was most comical. When teh dust settled, neither one got it!
Did they then revert to the previous years style of clothing?
0 x
RZehr
Affiliation: Cons. Mennonite

Post by RZehr »

Revelation 1:10 “I was in the zone on the Lords Day and heard behind me a great voice, as of a trumpet…”

Does sounds a bit like he was at a basketball game.
0 x
steve-in-kville

RZehr wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 11:05 am
Did they then revert to the previous years style of clothing?
Both left that group entirely not long after, IIRC.
0 x

steve-in-kville

steve-in-kville wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 10:46 am

One door closes and another opens, I guess would be the best way to describe it. As far as supernatural, I'm told that both my wife and I have the gift of discernment.
0 x

Sudsy

Post by Sudsy »

RZehr wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 11:08 am Revelation 1:10 “I was in the zone on the Lords Day and heard behind me a great voice, as of a trumpet…”

Does sounds a bit like he was at a basketball game.
Never heard that paraphrase before. :)

But this to me is perhaps a 'zone' of being in the Spirit that is a 'special zone' (for lack of better phrasing) that John was in to hear what he heard. Whereas I believe what is referred to as 'a still small voice' is what we hear in guiding us into truth and actions. John appears to be more in a trance state unaware of his surroundings.

Many believers believed that when they were being baptised in the Holy Spirit and spoke in an unknown tongue they were in a state of supernatural experience and I have seen coming out of the speaking experience they continued to have an experience that was a supernatural manifestation of the fruit of the Spirit found in Gal 5:22-23. I have had that experience also regarding the fruit of the Spirit but not always when speaking in an unknown.

Just saying that the 'zone' of the Spirit is supernatural and I think we often lean on our own understandings, including our understandings of scriptures when we are not recognizing we are to be listening for the Spirit to guide us as that is what Jesus sent Him to do. And there are many wonderful experiences for us in being filled over and over again in the Spirit.
0 x