Being 'in the zone'

General Christian Theology
Sudsy
Affiliation: Salvation Army

Re: Being 'in the zone'

Post by Sudsy »

steve-in-kville wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 10:46 am
Sudsy wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 10:34 am
steve-in-kville wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 6:51 am Yes, I have experienced this. I have also had experiences where the Lord's will for me has never been more clear, which I would keep separate from what you describe.

I may have mentioned this before, but a Christian needs to live true to themselves in order to experience these things.
Steve, when you experience the clear will of the Lord for you, do you think that you have figured it out for yourself or has the Holy Spirit revealed to you what is so clear ? My guess is you would agree with the latter. If so, imo, that is operating in the supernatural.

Could you help me understand what you mean by being true to ourselves.

I have to go for now but hope we and others will join in.
I'll try to address these questions throughout the day.

By being true to one's self is not "fake it until you make it." Attempting to be spiritual when you are simply not. Either by speech, acts, dress, whatever... trying to give a false impression to those around you. A good example: we were part of a pretty conservative Brethren group years ago. It was announced that the ministry wanted to ordain another minister. Suddenly two men started silently "campaigning" for the spot... longer sleeve shirts all year long, suspenders, wore a vest under their suit coat, wives got bigger coverings. It was most comical. When teh dust settled, neither one got it!
Thankyou. I agree. And even if some might be fooled by the act, God knows our hearts.

Regarding 'being spiritual' we are encouraged to seek after spiritual gifts and some gifts are considered greater than others that we should seek to have. 1 Cor 14:1. Again this is operating in the supernatural. I think this is often confused with natural abilities. God uses natural abilities if they are dedicated to His purposes. How often, though, do we hear preached to eagerly desire spiritual gifts ? It seems to be treated as we are so intelligent today we don't need them anymore. Or some other excuse.

I think some are very reluctant to seek the supernatural due to what can be observed as fake results and/or acts of other spirits getting involved. But we are to test these things and to me that means to check them out with our guide, the Holy Spirit. Perhaps a problem could be that we don't want to be guided by anything or anyone other than our own brains.

Sorry for blabbing on. It just is a topic that interests me especially when things in and of this world are getting so much attention.
0 x
Pursuing a Kingdom life in the Spirit
steve-in-kville
Affiliation: Hippie Anabaptist

Post by steve-in-kville »

Sudsy wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 1:48 pm Again this is operating in the supernatural.
I'd be careful throwing that term around, at least among conservative people. It could be taken the wrong way. Learned that the hard way many years ago!
0 x
I self-identify as a conspiracy theorist. My pronouns are told/you/so.

Owner/admin at https://milepost81.com/
For parents, railfans, and much more!
Sudsy

Post by Sudsy »

steve-in-kville wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 1:55 pm
Sudsy wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 1:48 pm Again this is operating in the supernatural.
I'd be careful throwing that term around, at least among conservative people. It could be taken the wrong way. Learned that the hard way many years ago!
Yet isn't that the realm every believer is to live in ? Since we have the Holy Spirit living within us, scripture says to then walk in the Spirit. Allow Him to teach and guide us in the way we should go.

Looking at the original post link and the section where all the pictures are of each athlete, which one do you think most closely describes to be 'in the zone' spiritually speaking ? Asking anyone else to pick one also or create their own.
0 x
steve-in-kville
Affiliation: Hippie Anabaptist

Post by steve-in-kville »

Sudsy wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 2:04 pm
Yet isn't that the realm every believer is to live in ? Since we have the Holy Spirit living within us, scripture says to then walk in the Spirit. Allow Him to teach and guide us in the way we should go.

I agree with you. But mention "supernatural" to most conservative anabaptists folks and their minds immediately think of aliens and witchcraft.
0 x
I self-identify as a conspiracy theorist. My pronouns are told/you/so.

Owner/admin at https://milepost81.com/
For parents, railfans, and much more!
Sudsy

Post by Sudsy »

steve-in-kville wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 8:15 am
Sudsy wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 2:04 pm

I agree with you. But mention "supernatural" to most conservative anabaptists folks and their minds immediately think of aliens and witchcraft.
That is interesting. Actually as born again believers we are to consider ourselves aliens in this world. It is not our home and the more we get that, I believe, the less we will be concerned about our rights and privileges being threatened here. Nothing here is worth being anxious about and through the Spirit we can live in perfect peace.

Seems to me Christianity in North America, in many Christian groups, is mainly logic and reason dependent, whereas especially in third world countries, Christians are more comfortable with spirit activity. The exceptions being the Pentecostal and other Charismatic groups. I am not that familiar with Conservative Anabaptists but it would seem to me the emphasis is more on living according to, being obedient, to a set of rules to live by. I don't mean that as a criticism but rather my limited observation is, for instance, obedience is referred to often but I don't see the same reference to living by the Holy Spirit. I'm open to be corrected here.

i found this link that I thought was good - https://www.blueletterbible.org/devotio ... ?Date=0602
0 x