Where Did Moses Get his Staff?

General Christian Theology
Neto
Affiliation: Gospel Haven

Where Did Moses Get his Staff?

Post by Neto »

Some years ago I joined a forum run by Chabad-Lubavitch (a branch of Hasidism), and while the forum has shut down, I still get emails from them.

Anyway, this question was posed on their website recently, and I received an email linking to the article. They have various ideas as to its origin, and even more as to its current where-abouts.

How would you answer this question? Having lived with native people, my quick answer would be - He carved it himself, heated one end to bend it, and that's that. All of the miraculous things he did with it? That was all God's doing, and none of that power remained in that piece of wood.
0 x
Congregation: Gospel Haven Mennonite Fellowship, Benton, Ohio (Holmes Co.) a split from Beachy-Amish Mennonite.
Personal heritage & general theological viewpoint: conservative Mennonite Brethren.
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Re: Where Did Moses Get his Staff?

Post by MaxPC »

In Exodus, God asks Moses what he has in his hand. Of course God knew that it was Moses' walking stick, he did not have to ask; rather God was making a point with Moses.

As I understand it, most of the nomadic tribes carried staffs to ward off predators from their sheep and goats and to navigate the rough terrain. I should think Moses was no exception in this. God did not give him the staff but rather, God demonstrated His power by transforming that staff into a snake. As you rightly noted, the staff itself had no power. It was merely a visible conduit.
2 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
Neto

Post by Neto »

MaxPC wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 8:26 pm In Exodus, God asks Moses what he has in his hand. Of course God knew that it was Moses' walking stick, he did not have to ask; rather God was making a point with Moses.

As I understand it, most of the nomadic tribes carried staffs to ward off predators from their sheep and goats and to navigate the rough terrain. I should think Moses was no exception in this. God did not give him the staff but rather, God demonstrated His power by transforming that staff into a snake. As you rightly noted, the staff itself had no power. It was merely a visible conduit.
Regarding at least this particular group of Jews: They mostly think Adam made it, having wacked off a piece of the tree of life before leaving the garden. (Then the tricky part is how Moses got ahold of it, before he left Egypt as a 40 year old man. I don't want to be making fun, but I admit to being rather amused. :angel)
0 x
Congregation: Gospel Haven Mennonite Fellowship, Benton, Ohio (Holmes Co.) a split from Beachy-Amish Mennonite.
Personal heritage & general theological viewpoint: conservative Mennonite Brethren.
MaxPC

Post by MaxPC »

Neto wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 9:47 pm
MaxPC wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 8:26 pm In Exodus, God asks Moses what he has in his hand. Of course God knew that it was Moses' walking stick, he did not have to ask; rather God was making a point with Moses.

Regarding at least this particular group of Jews: They mostly think Adam made it, having wacked off a piece of the tree of life before leaving the garden. (Then the tricky part is how Moses got ahold of it, before he left Egypt as a 40 year old man. I don't want to be making fun, but I admit to being rather amused. :angel)
Likewise. :lol: There are few "legends" in Catholic World that are equally entertaining so I can appreciate the lack of logic.
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
barnhart
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by barnhart »

If their belief is in the power of inanimate objects, a more pressing question might be where is it now? Surely this is the key to cleansing the promised land of non Jews and ushering in a messianic age of peace and prosperity.
0 x
Neto

Post by Neto »

barnhart wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 7:19 am If their belief is in the power of inanimate objects, a more pressing question might be where is it now? Surely this is the key to cleansing the promised land of non Jews and ushering in a messianic age of peace and prosperity.
The location theory I recall is that it, the Ark of the Covenant, and some other things are buried deep below the temple location.
0 x
barnhart
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by barnhart »

I guess that makes sense, either both Moses' and Aaron's rods are in it, or it's the same rod shared by the two of them.
1 x
steve-in-kville
Affiliation: Hippie Anabaptist

Post by steve-in-kville »

Where did Moses get his staff?

Perhaps a temp agency.... :lol:

(I'll be here all day)
3 x
I self-identify as a conspiracy theorist. My pronouns are told/you/so.

Owner/admin at https://milepost81.com/
For parents, railfans, and much more!
Soloist
Affiliation: CM Seeker

Post by Soloist »

This comes from a misunderstanding of the Hebrew word צוות
If one is wise, they will realize it really was a green stick. He was planning to try to grow an almond tree from it but later discovered his relative was a better stick finder.
0 x
Soloist, but I hate singing alone
Soloist, but my wife posts with me
Soloist, but I believe in community
Soloist, but I want God in the pilot seat
MaxPC

Post by MaxPC »

steve-in-kville wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 8:37 am Where did Moses get his staff?

Perhaps a temp agency.... :lol:

(I'll be here all day)
I had the exact same notion when I first saw the thread title. :lol:
Neto wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 7:47 am
barnhart wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 7:19 am If their belief is in the power of inanimate objects, a more pressing question might be where is it now? Surely this is the key to cleansing the promised land of non Jews and ushering in a messianic age of peace and prosperity.
The location theory I recall is that it, the Ark of the Covenant, and some other things are buried deep below the temple location.
Perhaps we can telephone Indiana Jones and get his thoughts? Ohio Jones may have his number?
:mrgreen:
Last edited by MaxPC on Tue Mar 21, 2023 10:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
Max (Plain Catholic)