Orthodoxy and Orthopraxy

General Christian Theology
Ernie
Affiliation: Anabaptist Umbrella

Orthodoxy and Orthopraxy

Post by Ernie »

In this thread I will attempt to summarize what I have been trying to same in some other threads recently. If you are in general agreement with me, how would you make this better?

Definitions:
orthodoxy (correct belief and understanding)
orthopraxy (correct practice or behavior)
New Testament (the 27 books commonly understood to be inspired by most Christians over the centuries)

Regarding doctrine and defining orthodoxy: Do not attempt to clarify something that the New Testament does not clarify but rather consider everything the New Testament has to say about that topic.
[If a person or church thinks something needs clarified, they should frame it as, "Here is what I/we think about this but we may not be seeing this accurately."]

Regarding orthopraxy: Practice what is taught in the New Testament.
[Do not withhold communion and full Christian fellowship from those who are practicing what Jesus and the NT writers instructed followers of Jesus to do. If a group of believers wish to establish additional practices or certain applications of NT teaching that will help them follow Jesus, they can go for it. The sky is the limit. (e.g. There is no restriction on how many cups of cold water a person can offer in Jesus name.) However, the promotion of or adherence to such additional defined practices should not be viewed as making one spiritually superior.]
1 x
The old woodcutter spoke again. “It is impossible to talk with you. You always draw conclusions. Life is so vast, yet you judge all of life with one page or one word. You see only a fragment. Unless you know the whole story, how can you judge?"
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Re: Orthodoxy and Orthopraxy

Post by MaxPC »

I see these as excellent definitions. I will read with continued interest.
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God