Was it worth Dividing the Church??

General Christian Theology
Valerie
Affiliation: non-denominational

Re: Was it worth Dividing the Church??

Post by Valerie »

Soloist wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 11:16 am I would love to hear David B’s sermon on infant baptism and then the rebuttal to himself by himself.
I wrote unto the church: but Diotrephes, who loveth to have the preeminence among them, receiveth us not.
3Jn 1:10  Wherefore, if I come, I will remember his deeds which he doeth, prating against us with malicious words: and not content therewith, neither doth he himself receive the brethren, and forbiddeth them that would, and casteth them out of the church.
The church had been split multiple times. It’s disingenuous to argue that any split is just heretical movement’s.
2Th 3:6  Now we command you, brethren, in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that ye withdraw yourselves from every brother that walketh disorderly, and not after the tradition which he received of us.
Division was created to separate the Church from the church. All of us are held accountable for our own choices.
There is a security that comes from belonging to a historical church and having the doctrine established by patriarchs or papal authority. I would argue that is a false security and the entirety of this structure appeals to us seekers as an answer to the confusion and disarray that plagues our hunt for perfection when really the problem is ourselves.
Many groups out there claim to have the answer and one who fairly evaluates the Orthodox can see that there is more division then is claimed. Which Orthodox group do you belong to? Does your group follow the revised version of Orthodoxy of the 14th century? The 19th century revision? Do you claim to follow the early church itself? What point is when you stop accepting new doctrine claimed to be historically sound? As looking through the ages of the early writings and later, more and more select teachers create more and more form. It’s impossible to trace every practice/doctrine to the first 300 years.
The two biggest challenges to someone rejecting the OTC is apostolic authority and what Jesus said. If the church wouldn’t fall, what does not falling mean in context of the churches Jesus called out and threatened? Did all the churches have the same practice? Did they all baptize for the dead? Why isn’t this practiced today? Clearly it was practiced by the “early” church. The farther we dig, the more disorder we see in the writings. What is your foundation built on? Jesus? Or men writings that were not claimed as inspired by anyone?
Have you devoted a great deal of time to attending Orthodox Churches? I think then one can make claims. Until then I think some are assuming a lot. Because our good friend who had become orthodox and had actual Mennonite heritage in his family and was an Amish school teacher had also graduated to become a pastor until he saw churches have become two worldly, found himself in the Orthodox church and there he felt he found home. Knowing this man like we do we knew he would not want to steer us the wrong direction. We really had little interest in pursuing it as my husband came from Catholicism but had turned to Evangelical/Pentecostal. I had always assumed these type of churches with much the same opinions I read here actually I would have been on the same page.

We took a great deal of time learning and had to repent of some of my thinking about them and judging them inaccurately in some areas. We probably visited 12 different Orthodox Churches from various ethnicities and really rather than divisions we just saw cultural influences from the country they emerge from not differences in practice in liturgy and worship and interpretations they were all on the same page.

Although I am most impressed with the anabaptist in general with their orthopraxy as we spend time among them in Holmes county Ohio and are very touched by their practice, having spent about a year in the same Orthodox Church I can tell you without a doubt there is a great deal of love, worship, following Jesus, serving the poor, serving each other, involvement in Unplanned pregnancy outreaches Bible studies in homes, etc etc I think it really took us by surprise. In fact one can practically live at the Church with all its services.These were genuine Christians that I can hear Jesus say well done good and faithful servants. More so than me.

I should add, my intent was not to convince people to be Orthodox in this topic. Obviously we did not make that commitment so that would be hypocritical.

I listened to Christian radio this morning, someone else seemed to strongly encourage the church at large to drop its differences and become one I can't remember exactly how they said it but I thought it weighs on other people's hearts. That does not mean to become universalist and not allow for heresies to be welcomed as different interpretations there still has to be clear foundational teachings and interpretations of the Bible as they were handed down in the beginning
0 x
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

Valerie:
.. I listened to Christian radio this morning, someone else seemed to strongly encourage the church at large to drop its differences and become one I can't remember exactly how they said it but I thought it weighs on other people's hearts. ..
Is it possible that what you’re yearning for exists, altho not in form as you imagine? That Jesus recognizes this, His perfect understanding, and knows we won’t recognize it as He does? He recognizes His wherever they are, whatever they’re doing. He is not fooled.

Thus, this is why when you or i or any member here visits other churches, authentic faith can be found .. various members here have described their experiences .. i believe them, and i’ve experienced the same.

For me, this is explained in Jesus words:
3The one who eats everything must not belittle the one who does not, and the one who does not eat everything must not judge the one who does, for God has accepted him.

4Who are you to judge someone else’s servant?
To his own master he stands or falls. And he will stand, for the Lord is able to make him stand.

5One person regards a certain day above the others, while someone else considers every day alike.
Each one should be fully convinced in his own mind.…

6He who observes a special day does so to the Lord; he who eats does so to the Lord, for he gives thanks to God;
and he who abstains does so to the Lord and gives thanks to God.…
For me, this describes earthly church differences and even divisions, along with warnings from Jesus about leaving judgment to Him - He knows us! He knows we long to judge!

Jesus didn’t waste time telling us what He knew was easy for us. He focused on what He knew would be difficult, not “natural.”

It’s not infrequent on this forum to address the uniqueness of being CO.
It’s my experience, lots of mainstream believers are CO, in faith, words, actions, but have not had the formal instruction, leadership of their church. Probably those who have actually read scriptures, which cannot be presumed. (Using CO as one example of differences, in this topic, you began with infant baptism.)

Jesus has His one church. It doesn’t have a building or earthly labels.
Believers can recognize one another when they meet.

Is it possible you’re looking for something that already exists? In Jesus’ name?
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
Valerie

Post by Valerie »

Maybe Temp, but i honestly don't see what the Church at large has become is what Jesus meant by one, doesn't seem His will- yes authentic Christians in the mix but I read a book years ago and president Adams letter to his wife described trying to have a prayer meeting in our government and he named all the denominations that were present at that time, including an Anabaptist, & his letter told her their differences hindered the prayer meeting. Apostle Paul tried to discourage following particular leaders which basically is what happened at Reformation forward, but at Apostle Paul's time the teachings were uniform at least. Probably because we've visited several denominations awhile, we know how they criticize each other, seems i try to defend each one as we learnec-
0 x
ken_sylvania
Affiliation: CM

Post by ken_sylvania »

Valerie wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 8:09 am
Neto wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 10:35 am
Valerie wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 2:58 am ....
I assume that the Roman Catholics felt attacked themselves in the uprisings against them because I have read the history about how anabaptist people would show up in their churches- although not killing them- certainly attacking them verbally - not sure if that would be a type of persecution or not-
Not having ever heard or read anything of this claim, it would be of interest to see references. (Unless calling them out for their wickedness is to be considered a verbal attack - that there is plenty of in Martyrs' Mirror.)
I would have to find my very old book Mennonites in Europe" which is among my many boxes of books we boxed up. The "impression" it left me with is that if i belonged to the Church and Anabaptists showed up there to disrupt the way they did during service, it was a questionable approach to change things but as a member pf the church it might jave felt like persecution or attack.
Wait - what? The Christian response to a verbal "attack" (like what Jesus did in the Temple at Jerusalem) is to bury their enemies alive, burn them at the stake, tie them to ladders and flip them into the fire with bags of gunpowder around their necks, drag them away from their children and throw them into dungeons to rot? You're actually going to rationalize this kind of devilish work by saying "it's the Anabaptist's fault because they provoked the Roman Catholics. The Roman Catholics felt threatened so they did what they had to do."!
0 x
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

“I did not do it,” he says quietly while munching on walnuts. :roll:
2 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
Valerie

Post by Valerie »

MaxPC wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 3:56 pm “I did not do it,” he says quietly while munching on walnuts. :roll:
Max is a perfect example of turning the other cheek for years! Jesus attitude & prayer "Father forgive them, they know not what they do"
0 x
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

Valerie wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 3:58 pm
MaxPC wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 3:56 pm “I did not do it,” he says quietly while munching on walnuts. :roll:
Max is a perfect example of turning the other cheek for years! Jesus attitude & prayer "Father forgive them, they know not what they do"
i don’t believe anyone is saying Max did it, or that i did it, arriving as i did as a Lutheran.
The problem being, there has been widespread forgetting the deeply evil things that happened, and, this is not ok, either.

i was flabbergasted to learn about the violent history, i became a Lutheran as an adult, studied and read .. never heard about the violence. i’m not guilty of it, i prefer knowing the balanced facts.

forgiveness is one important matter, forgetting another.

no one wants to remember negatives. it’s really unpleasant to think of burdening your children with negatives.
but if it’s not addressed in some way, it tends to be forgotten, which leads to other regrets.

earthly life can be a challenge.

i was an outlier in my family becoming Lutheran, i wasn’t born into it.
even getting into my family history, i haven’t yet found Lutherans, but lots of Protestant Christian faiths, Quakers, Huguenots, eventually Anabaptist; going back to Charlemagne, i found Catholicism. i respect the seeking heart of all these people.

i believe Jesus reserves judgment, He judges a lot based on intent, which, unlike us, He sees clearly.
1 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
Soloist
Affiliation: CM Seeker

Post by Soloist »

The squirrels disagree.

In all seriousness though, the early church killed each other by the sword over doctrinal disputes well before the East west split.
1 x
Soloist, but I hate singing alone
Soloist, but my wife posts with me
Soloist, but I believe in community
Soloist, but I want God in the pilot seat
Valerie

Post by Valerie »

Soloist wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 7:19 pm
The squirrels disagree.

In all seriousness though, the early church killed each other by the sword over doctrinal disputes well before the East west split.
Israel has a tainted history but remained God's elect due to his Mercy and long suffering. I still see those as God's character towards his church which then became his elect, the seven churches were addressed by Jesus in Asia of course we know there are many more churches but for some reason those were the ones that were addressed for us to read throughout time, only two of them He did not admonish to repent, the others he at least pointed out the good they were doing and addressed the areas needed repenting of- perhaps we would all love for Him to personally address our churches in this manner.
Last edited by Valerie on Sun Mar 12, 2023 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Valerie

Post by Valerie »

A movie came put Feb 24 called "Jesus Revolution" which i needed to see, it was my church in the 70s, showed the beach where we were baptized (i was 15) it really was awesome reminder of Gods mercy extended to the hippie/drug culture- I'm sure many question the way this all took place if it was real but that is probably between each individual who was pulled out of the depth of sin to follow Jesus without being told to change their clothes and hair because there was so much work to do on the inside the Lost rebellious drug addicted generation.
1 x