Was it worth Dividing the Church??

General Christian Theology
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Re: Was it worth Dividing the Church??

Post by MaxPC »

ohio jones wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 12:45 am
temporal1 wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 6:59 pm My question is, what were infant baptisms at the time of Luther and Simons? Were they tripartate?
To quote Wikipedia on the timeline (and I know Max will object, but give us a better source):
After the Fourth Lateran Council [1215], Communion, which continued to be given only after confirmation, was to be administered only on reaching the age of reason. Some time after the 13th century, the age of confirmation and Communion began to be delayed further, from seven, to twelve and to fifteen.
Now of course there were dissenting groups prior to and during this time, well before the Reformation era, but the Catholics either ignored or persecuted them. I don't think either group influenced the other on this issue (or most others).

As a side note, this council is the one that formally established transubstantiation, which Reformers and Anabaptists alike cited as a reason for dividing from the Catholic church.

Going back a little farther, per Brittanica:
During the first several centuries of Christian history, when most of those who joined the church were adult converts from paganism, the baptism of these adults and the ceremony admitting them to the full rights of membership (equivalent to, but not yet called, confirmation) probably coincided. Early Christian theologians, therefore, closely connected the meaning and effects of confirmation with those of baptism. But as the baptism of infants rather than of adults became customary, a sharper distinction between baptism and confirmation became necessary.
Well no, it wasn't necessary. The two could have been kept together and maintained as adult ceremonies.

What's interesting to me is that Confirmation (Chrismation, for the Orthodox) involves an anointing with oil and laying on of hands that (supposedly) confers the Holy Spirit, subsequent to baptism. The counterpart of this in Pentecostal and Methodist traditions (and others influenced by them) is the Baptism of the Holy Spirit as a second work of grace separate from and subsequent to water baptism. Historic Anabaptist theology, like the Orthodox and the early church, keeps them more closely linked.
I do not object at all. Some of the timelines vary but all in all that covers it. Well spotted. There are also scholarly articles and books that present a plethora of viewpoints on the particulars. Rather than being a straight timeline, many of these doctrines were emerging simultaneously in different parts of the world and were implemented in different manners. Eventually some joined with the Roman rite, others chose to remain independent, others formed a loose affiliation.

Long before the Reformation, there are points in church history in which the sequence of RCI varied; there were even variances between the different liturgical rites of the church and among the different branches, e.g. Coptic, Irish Catholic Rite, etc. Those variances continue in some dioceses around the world. Even now in parts of India and elsewhere, there is violence over liturgical matters. Does that edify the Body? I think not.

Liturgy is fluid based upon cultural contexts. In my experiences, whenever people become bored and forget to put their energy into forming a mature relationship with Christ, they will chase other matters that do not edify the Body. The history of the human race in general and of Christianity in particular is rife with these rabbit trails that distract from the true mission of bringing the Good News to the world.

THAT SAID: I am loathe to take up the entire Anabaptist forum speculating upon unknowables such as "they did this or that because..." It very nearly always leads to disputes and if I am to implement nonresistance into my spirituality, I do not see how debating and disputing such matters helps that effort. Everyone did what they did in that time period based upon what they knew and understood. It cannot be changed; only the lesson learned to avoid closed mindedness and assumptions about the motives of the other.
1 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

In addition, the Orthodox Church currently is divided - most recently with very severe divisions such as the one between Ukraine and Russia, or with the Old Believers, and then with ancient divisions between Oriental and Eastern Orthodoxz
1 x
MaxPC

Post by MaxPC »

barnhart wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 8:51 am
If the Orthodox church wants to be a sincere voice for the unification of churches, surely they can start by sweeping around their own front door currently before condemning groups who left 100's of years ago. What kind of authority do they have if they cannot condemn Orthodox people killing each other daily.
I quite like this turn of phrase; it is most apt and applies to one's personal walk as well.
1 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

MaxPC wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 9:20 am .. only the lesson learned to avoid closed mindedness and assumptions about the motives of the other.
as you sashay about, keep in mind you’re not exempt. (i have loads of PMs and emails from you as an new member if you’d care for a reminder.) you were quite chatty. as well, most on this forum recognize passive aggressiveness, whether it’s called out or not. perhaps you’re not as sly as you imagine? :? i admit, i feel a bit used. no biggie. a minor annoyance on the grand scale of things.

i’m unsure why you would join Valerie’s thread when you have such strong objections to its purpose. (you can object-it’s allowed!) no problem. Valerie+mods guide. not everything in life is fair, or makes sense.

this particular 1500’s history pinches today’s Catholics and Lutherans. :( i was not happy to learn, i was shocked to learn.
sometimes that happens. forgiveness is essential. forgetting is not. i’m pretty sure, if it were left to Catholics and Lutherans, the violent history would be totally forgotten. not for devious reasons. because it hurts.

i’ve sometimes read, in their own words, some Catholics continue to HATE Martin Luther and hold him 100% accountable for Church division (at least for a period, i believe this was taught in Catholic schools/circles)? See? It’s a matter of ignorance. Questions, study, help with that.

as a happy Lutheran, i was shocked to read that.^^ (i thot, i have Catholic friends. is this what they’re thinking?! is this what their church is teaching?!) :shock: it was unsettling.

everyone enjoys a stated villain. life is rarely that simple.
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
Sudsy
Affiliation: Salvation Army

Post by Sudsy »

I especially was taken with this that MaxPC just posted -
In my experiences, whenever people become bored and forget to put their energy into forming a mature relationship with Christ, they will chase other matters that do not edify the Body. The history of the human race in general and of Christianity in particular is rife with these rabbit trails that distract from the true mission of bringing the Good News to the world.
I am one of those who have been distracted and need to re-focus on this true mission.

Thankyou MaxPC for this reminder.
2 x
Pursuing a Kingdom life in the Spirit
Neto
Affiliation: Gospel Haven

Post by Neto »

In a sense the question posed here reminds me of the question: "Do you still beat your wife?" The question assumes that the man DID beat his wife. The question here assumes that infant baptism, or whatever the central difference is identified as, divided "the Church". Yes, it divided an organization that self-identified as "the Church", but the question assumes that it really WAS the CHURCH, the Body of Christ. If those people who were in control of the decisions that brought about the perceived division were not true believers, then the real Church was not divided. I'm not saying or implying that there were not true believers, true followers of Christ, in most or all of the factions that resulted. What I AM saying is that the Church is not an institution run by men. The Church is Christ's, and the divisions between institutions that claim to be the Church do not affect the unity of the real Church. (Or, SHOULD NOT. I've have already confessed here before, that at one time I felt a general resentment or distrust toward Lutherans. But when I really got to know a real brother who also happened to be Lutheran, that all fell away, as I responded to conviction.)
5 x
Congregation: Gospel Haven Mennonite Fellowship, Benton, Ohio (Holmes Co.) a split from Beachy-Amish Mennonite.
Personal heritage & general theological viewpoint: conservative Mennonite Brethren.
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

Neto wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 1:07 pm In a sense the question posed here reminds me of the question: "Do you still beat your wife?" The question assumes that the man DID beat his wife.

The question here assumes that infant baptism, or whatever the central difference is identified as, divided "the Church".
Yes, it divided an organization that self-identified as "the Church", but the question assumes that it really WAS the CHURCH, the Body of Christ.

If those people who were in control of the decisions that brought about the perceived division were not true believers,
then the real Church was not divided.

I'm not saying or implying that there were not true believers, true followers of Christ, in most or all of the factions that resulted.
What I AM saying is that the Church is not an institution run by men. The Church is Christ's, and the divisions between institutions that claim to be the Church do not affect the unity of the real Church.

(Or, SHOULD NOT. I've have already confessed here before, that at one time I felt a general resentment or distrust toward Lutherans.
But when I really got to know a real brother who also happened to be Lutheran, that all fell away, as I responded to conviction.)
Nice work, Neto.
You describe what i was attempting to get at:
temporal1 wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 12:06 pm
Valerie wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 5:24 am Page 10:
The Church Jesus said He would build is supposed to be One. That was Jesus prayer in John 17.
Yet we keep digging our heels in to keep it sected.
(i believe) Jesus’ Church is ONE.
That all our fallible human goofiness will quickly fade away in presence of His perfection. (every knee will bow)

Until then, we have mixed results, and no human construct is perfect. According to what the Holy Spirit allows, glimpses of perfection may be seen/experienced. We are to TRY to trust in His judgment, as He actually demands. (We’re not good at this!)

Keep in mind, Jesus didn’t tell us to do what we’re good at! His commands were about what He knew would be difficult.

The verses i think about are about two men working in a field, not interferring with another man’s servant, trusting when there is no tangible reason to trust, etc.

i believe Jesus’ Church is ONE, always was, no matter how things appear on earth. He knows. We can’t know in full.
We are to trust when no secular proof is present. Jesus demonstrated patience and indulgence with Thomas as an object lesson for all.

You know, i’ve always thought Jesus was a little annoyed with Thomas over that. He used Thomas to extend a message.
i think He was pretty serious about His point.
Earthly churches are important. Jesus’ Church is eternal.
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
MaxPC

Post by MaxPC »

Neto wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 1:07 pm In a sense the question posed here reminds me of the question: "Do you still beat your wife?" The question assumes that the man DID beat his wife. The question here assumes that infant baptism, or whatever the central difference is identified as, divided "the Church". Yes, it divided an organization that self-identified as "the Church", but the question assumes that it really WAS the CHURCH, the Body of Christ. If those people who were in control of the decisions that brought about the perceived division were not true believers, then the real Church was not divided. I'm not saying or implying that there were not true believers, true followers of Christ, in most or all of the factions that resulted. What I AM saying is that the Church is not an institution run by men. The Church is Christ's, and the divisions between institutions that claim to be the Church do not affect the unity of the real Church. (Or, SHOULD NOT. I've have already confessed here before, that at one time I felt a general resentment or distrust toward Lutherans. But when I really got to know a real brother who also happened to be Lutheran, that all fell away, as I responded to conviction.)
Spot on. Amen. :hi5

As Christianity spread from the Middle East, the Apostles were the main drivers of the movement. India, Africa and the far reaches of the Roman Empire eventually heard the Gospel. Each community in turn developed its own liturgies for the various sacraments/ordinances (I remembered the word) ;) , based upon that which they had learned from the missionary apostles. Standardisation of liturgical practices evolved in the early years while the teaching continued to inspire understanding. It did not always happen within a linear timeline; instead multiple cultures were known to have formed their practices simultaneously but in different locals then shared those practices with others. Today there are seven formal rites in communion with Roman Catholicism. There have been many more rites that have disappeared altogether or have been resurrected but do not share communion.

As Neto so graciously stated: The Church is Christ's, and the divisions between institutions that claim to be the Church do not affect the unity of the real Church.
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)