Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Slain in the spirit?

Post by MaxPC »

Do you think this is legitimate?

Have you ever experienced this?
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
RZehr
Affiliation: Cons. Mennonite

Re: Slain in the spirit?

Post by RZehr »

No, and no.
1 x
barnhart
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by barnhart »

Probably not and no.
1 x
joshuabgood
Affiliation: BMA

Post by joshuabgood »

MaxPC wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 6:01 pm Do you think this is legitimate?

In so far as it results in people being conformed into the image of Jesus, i can probably get bejind it. And then, no.
1 x
JimFoxvog
Affiliation: MCUSA

Post by JimFoxvog »

While I suspect it is usually an emotional reaction, I think it may be genuine sometimes. But can't God also use emotional reactions? This could be an act of trying to be totally yielded to God.
1 x
JimFoxvog
Affiliation: MCUSA

Post by JimFoxvog »

JimFoxvog wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 7:46 am I have not experienced it personally but have witnessed it a number of times. I think the preacher was trying to suggest I experience it when praying for men, pushing on my head, and saying yield to God, while the catchers who had caught previous folks who "fainted" were standing behind me.

While I suspect it is usually an emotional reaction, I think it may be genuine sometimes. But can't God also use emotional reactions? This could be an act of trying to be totally yielded to God.
1 x
Sudsy
Affiliation: Salvation Army

Post by Sudsy »

I will share some observations -

If by 'legitimate' you mean conforming to NT practise, then, imo, no. However, can we experience phenomena not found explicitly in NT scripture that is sourced by the Holy Spirit, then, imo, I don't see why not.

A testimony - My wife and her sister once years ago went to a meeting where a Catholic Priest, who was known to have a healing ministry, at a point in the meeting would touch people on the forehead and they fell over backwards. My wife and her sister were quite skeptical of this so they got in line to see what would happen to them. And it did. They both fell over backwards at his touch and ended up on their backs. They were quite puzzled as to what this meant but neither experienced any big change in their life after the experience.

My experience, I don't recall this ever happening to me although I have often spoken in an unknown tongue as is recorded in the NT.

I have observed, in my earlier years primarily, of these experiences that is called being 'slain in the Spirit'. Most times there are 'catchers' that stand behind those being touched so when they are 'slain' they don't hurt themselves. Although many just fall backwards and the 'catchers' are not required whereas others do need a 'catcher'. So, it would seem that some try to do it on their own and need a 'catcher' while others seem to go over and light like a feather. I remember being in a meeting where this couple was known for their 'Holy Spirit gifting to cause this slaying' and have seen them touch one person on the end of a long row of people and the entire row collapses.

I have also seen eager believers who pray for others to 'experience the Holy Spirit' that do things like rocking them back and forth on their knees until they fell over backwards and whisper all kinds of 'gibberish or unknown tongues' in their ear to get them to experience the baptism of the Holy Spirit with the speaking of an unknown tongue. Also not found in the NT. I could go on and on with things I have and still do question in my mind but will stop here. Well, one more thought - I believe one of the spiritual gifts we all could use especially in these settings in the gift of the 'discerment of spirits'.

No.
1 x
Pursuing a Kingdom life in the Spirit
Valerie
Affiliation: non-denominational

Post by Valerie »

Sudsy wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 10:43 am

I will share some observations -

If by 'legitimate' you mean conforming to NT practise, then, imo, no. However, can we experience phenomena not found explicitly in NT scripture that is sourced by the Holy Spirit, then, imo, I don't see why not.

A testimony - My wife and her sister once years ago went to a meeting where a Catholic Priest, who was known to have a healing ministry, at a point in the meeting would touch people on the forehead and they fell over backwards. My wife and her sister were quite skeptical of this so they got in line to see what would happen to them. And it did. They both fell over backwards at his touch and ended up on their backs. They were quite puzzled as to what this meant but neither experienced any big change in their life after the experience.

My experience, I don't recall this ever happening to me although I have often spoken in an unknown tongue as is recorded in the NT.

I have observed, in my earlier years primarily, of these experiences that is called being 'slain in the Spirit'. Most times there are 'catchers' that stand behind those being touched so when they are 'slain' they don't hurt themselves. Although many just fall backwards and the 'catchers' are not required whereas others do need a 'catcher'. So, it would seem that some try to do it on their own and need a 'catcher' while others seem to go over and light like a feather. I remember being in a meeting where this couple was known for their 'Holy Spirit gifting to cause this slaying' and have seen them touch one person on the end of a long row of people and the entire row collapses.

I have also seen eager believers who pray for others to 'experience the Holy Spirit' that do things like rocking them back and forth on their knees until they fell over backwards and whisper all kinds of 'gibberish or unknown tongues' in their ear to get them to experience the baptism of the Holy Spirit with the speaking of an unknown tongue. Also not found in the NT. I could go on and on with things I have and still do question in my mind but will stop here. Well, one more thought - I believe one of the spiritual gifts we all could use especially in these settings in the gift of the 'discerment of spirits'.

No.
I jave witnessed what you share here.
I can't be sure of what the Hy Spirit would or would not do if it is not contrary to Scripture as in disobedience.
Is it a "sign"?
What i wondered if it has a value- if so- for who?
It seems more like an experience, does it help a Believer?
When we study the gifts of the Spirit as opposed to the fruits of the spirit it seems a teaching by apostle Paul about them were to a church that had a lot of the spiritual gifts flowing. The Corinthian Church was not a perfect Church by any stretch as he had to admonish them in one way or another but it didn't keep them from having the spiritual gifts flowing. However where I question this laying in the spirit versus the gifts he taught. He was pretty specific about the benefits of each of the gifts of the Spirit taught in Corinthians- what do you see as a benefit to the slaying in the spirit?
I was at the altar in at least one Church where this was being done and I did not want to touch on the forehead fall backwards but I could see how one would feel compelled to try to fall backwards unless they be seen as being resistant to the spirit it really puts you in an awkward position of coming across as little faith or resistant or pretending.
1 x