Altar Calls

General Christian Theology
Sudsy
Affiliation: Salvation Army

Re: Revival is spreading

Post by Sudsy »

Neto wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 12:46 pm
Ernie wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 12:08 pm
Neto wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 7:44 amAnyway, I'd add "less front to back".
What does this mean?
Sorry for not being clear. Less emphasis on "the altar", less orientation or focus toward the stage, with a band playing up there. (One of the differences - sometimes almost a dispute - in the MB background was the height of the stage. In the congregation where I grew up, not too many years after the church house was completed, 1920, the stage was torn out and a lower stage built. But by the time I was growing up there, the "evangelical" emphasis on "the altar" had taken hold. That was the "best place to do business with God". That doesn't fit with traditional Dutch anabaptism, and I suppose it wasn't found in the Swiss Brethren tradition, either. It's a sort of sacrimentalism. I think this concept of a physical "holy place" is part of the attraction that makes people come from great distances to "see this thing which has come to pass".)
In Salvation Army churches they have a pew at the front of the church facing the congregation called 'The Mercy Seat'. An invite was given to come and kneel and one of the church leaders would come and see what you came for and would pray with you.

In out local MB church, the morning service ends with an invite to come to the front and stand, sit or kneel and people sometimes called 'prayer warriors', who have been trained on how to deal with those folks, are there waiting for whoever comes.

Charles Finney, way back in 1830, was known as the originator of these 'altar calls' to what he called the 'anxious bench'.

In my youth, altar calls, were a norm at the end of the sermon. Pentecostals were very much into prayer services for one another before going home. I have been in evening services where the after sermon prayer time would go on into the early hours of the morning and no one wanted to go home. They often ended after much chorus singing.
0 x
Pursuing a Kingdom life in the Spirit
Valerie
Affiliation: non-denominational

Altar Calls

Post by Valerie »

Sudsy wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 8:45 pm
Ernie wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 12:08 pm
What does this mean?
Sorry for not being clear. Less emphasis on "the altar", less orientation or focus toward the stage, with a band playing up there. (One of the differences - sometimes almost a dispute - in the MB background was the height of the stage. In the congregation where I grew up, not too many years after the church house was completed, 1920, the stage was torn out and a lower stage built. But by the time I was growing up there, the "evangelical" emphasis on "the altar" had taken hold. That was the "best place to do business with God". That doesn't fit with traditional Dutch anabaptism, and I suppose it wasn't found in the Swiss Brethren tradition, either. It's a sort of sacrimentalism. I think this concept of a physical "holy place" is part of the attraction that makes people come from great distances to "see this thing which has come to pass".)
In Salvation Army churches they have a pew at the front of the church facing the congregation called 'The Mercy Seat'. An invite was given to come and kneel and one of the church leaders would come and see what you came for and would pray with you.

In out local MB church, the morning service ends with an invite to come to the front and stand, sit or kneel and people sometimes called 'prayer warriors', who have been trained on how to deal with those folks, are there waiting for whoever comes.

Charles Finney, way back in 1830, was known as the originator of these 'altar calls' to what he called the 'anxious bench'.

In my youth, altar calls, were a norm at the end of the sermon. Pentecostals were very much into prayer services for one another before going home. I have been in evening services where the after sermon prayer time would go on into the early hours of the morning and no one wanted to go home. They often ended after much chorus singing.
An Altar call always made sense to me. If tou are praying and hoping unbelievers are attending Church, giving an "opportunity" to be prayed with to begin your life in Christ, wouldn't it seem an important beginning? When i was 15, that was the beginning for my walk with Christ- an altar call- having battled this decision (and counting the costs) it try seem the Holy Spirit was prompting me to respond.

I want to stop there & ask the question- giving opportunity to explain why anyone here sees this as not of the Lord, to have altar calls. I will not be offended at the criticism or explanation - I'm hoping for dialogue across the aisles of difference-

If revival is truly spreading, altar calls are often a part of them in some cases
0 x
Szdfan
Affiliation: MCUSA

Post by Szdfan »

Valerie wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 3:23 am

An Altar call always made sense to me. If tou are praying and hoping unbelievers are attending Church, giving an "opportunity" to be prayed with to begin your life in Christ, wouldn't it seem an important beginning? When i was 15, that was the beginning for my walk with Christ- an altar call- having battled this decision (and counting the costs) it try seem the Holy Spirit was prompting me to respond.

I want to stop there & ask the question- giving opportunity to explain why anyone here sees this as not of the Lord, to have altar calls. I will not be offended at the criticism or explanation - I'm hoping for dialogue across the aisles of difference-

If revival is truly spreading, altar calls are often a part of them in some cases
My concern with altar calls is whether they are performative.
2 x
“It’s easy to make everything a conspiracy when you don’t know how anything works.” — Brandon L. Bradford
barnhart
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by barnhart »

I would have more appreciation for altar calls if there was more teaching or understanding about the true nature of an altar.
0 x
Valerie
Affiliation: non-denominational

Post by Valerie »

Szdfan wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 5:41 am
Valerie wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 3:23 am

My concern with altar calls is whether they are performative.
It could be but i know for myself, it was a very real & deeply motivated step to repent and follow Christ. For me it was a serious "decision" Think of the parable of the sower. The seeds are planted. So you're in a church setting and seeds are planted. An altar call is an opportunity to respond to the seeds planted. As we know in that parable not all will continue to follow but it is a start for a lot of people. I don't know how an unbeliever turns to Christ and the Mennonite or other type of Anabaptist setting. In my own Church presently, we do not have altar calls just each week the Pastor makes known where anyone can go for prayer after service, a room where one can go. I suppose a sincere person seeking to follow the Lord will actively seek put someone to help him/her begin a life in Christ but the altar call can be very beneficial from all the years I've witnessed these.

(Maybe altar calls can be a topic?)

Being in different groups on Facebook I see how discussion can help people with their assumptions because without it they can remain critical instead of understanding. It's so difficult in these days with so many different denominations trying to be"The Church" to convey to the watching world why we practice si many different ways, which can probably really baffle the kist seeking Truth
0 x
Sudsy

Post by Sudsy »

I'm for a separate thread on this moving the posts here on altar calls to a new thread.

Here is one reason that I heard often in my youth. It went something like this for those seeking salvation -

'There is no such thing as becoming a follower of Jesus privately. He called people to follow Him and they did in a way that was unashamed before others.'

I believe the Bible reference was Matthew 10:32-33. I think Billy Graham referred to this in his appeal to 'come forward and accept Christ as your Lord and Saviour'.

In my observations, as often happened in some 'evangelistic crusades', some 'came forward' or 'to the altar' as others would say, but they were like the seed parable and not all the seed took root and became obvious followers of Jesus. Whereas for others it was the beginning of their walk with the Lord.

Then there are all kinds of other appeals to come to the altar for believers and various ways to help those who came. In the evangelical Baptist church I was a deacon in, everyone who came forward was taken to a private area in the church to be counseled and prayed with by trained counselors. Any new converts were provided with material to read on their new walk with the Lord, contacts were set up for the next few days and invites given to a 'new converts class'. Followup was taken quite seriously to not leave a new born to care for him or her self. Or a backslider returning to be ignored in their way back.

For those who do have altar calls of some sort, I am curious as to what followup your group has. To me, this is quite important.
0 x
mike
Affiliation: Conservative Menno

Post by mike »

Sudsy wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 10:13 am For those who do have altar calls of some sort, I am curious as to what followup your group has. To me, this is quite important.
Our church has altar calls once a year at "revival meetings." People who respond are followed up with by the leadership. Generally if it is a person wishing to become a Christian they are discipled through that process and generally begin instruction classes leading up to baptism and church membership.
0 x
Remember the prisoners, as though you were in prison with them, and the mistreated, as though you yourselves were suffering bodily. -Heb. 13:3
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

mike wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 10:19 am
Sudsy wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 10:13 am For those who do have altar calls of some sort, I am curious as to what followup your group has. To me, this is quite important.
Our church has altar calls once a year at "revival meetings." People who respond are followed up with by the leadership. Generally if it is a person wishing to become a Christian they are discipled through that process and generally begin instruction classes leading up to baptism and church membership.
We used to as well, but they have become rather rare. Some preachers like to do them, but it's no longer the norm. However, people are often encouraged to go home and think about the message, and for younger folks, avail themselves of their parents to talk to if they are feeling spiritually stirred.
1 x
Sudsy

Re: Altar Calls

Post by Sudsy »

Thankyou whoever split this out as a separate thread. :up:

I could be wrong on this (yes, it happens :lol: ) but I'm thinking altar calls are not as common since 'care groups' have become popular and small groups praying for each other is more common. Thoughts ?

This reminds me of the closings to many of the Pentecostal services I attended as a younger person.

At the end of the sermon this was common practise -

1) Preacher would say - 'Now with every head bowed and with every eye closed and no one looking around'
2) Then the preacher would state what might be our condition - needing prayer, needing salvation, a backslider, etc
3) As each of these is stated, if any of these included you, you raised your hand
4) Then 'All those who raised your hands, as we sing this last song, we invite you to come foward for prayer'
5) And then the hymn or chorus was sung again and again until the leader thought no more would come.

Some would come to the altar (front pews were often used) and would either kneel or stand to be prayed for/with. Occasionally some would sit while prayed for/with. People slowly left the church with considerable visitation going on.

At our local MB church this was quite close to the process (pastor had a Pentecostal background) and this is often a similar method used at what I call my home church, the Salvation Army in Nfld. The SA has a small pew called the 'Mercy Seat' but often more people come forward than the pew holds and they would stand and be prayed for and talked to. During the prayer times hymns were played in the background and then the service ended with a hymn and lots of hugging/embracing happens.

In the local First Baptist church I attended for a year plus, after taking communion we all joined hands around the church and ended with the song 'Blest be the tie that binds our hearts in Christian love' -----

Does your church have a common ending of your meetings involving a prayer time ? In Pentecostalism most went from the main church area to a big prayer room and these prayer times often would last for hours.
0 x
ohio jones
Affiliation: Rosedale Network

Post by ohio jones »

Josh wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 10:33 am
mike wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 10:19 am
We used to as well, but they have become rather rare. Some preachers like to do them, but it's no longer the norm. However, people are often encouraged to go home and think about the message, and for younger folks, avail themselves of their parents to talk to if they are feeling spiritually stirred.
Likewise. Even at "revival meetings" they have become optional rather than routine, reserved for when the preacher feels led by the Spirit to include them. When overused, there's often an emotionally manipulative component ("I feel like there's someone else who needs to respond; let's sing one more verse of Just As I Am"). There's also a growing recognition that the practice is an imported one, rather than an integral part of Anabaptist praxis. Not that there's anything wrong with importing and integrating useful things if done with intentionality, but there can be a tendency to turn them into traditions rather than continuing to evaluate their effectiveness.
0 x
I grew up around Indiana, You grew up around Galilee; And if I ever really do grow up, I wanna grow up to be just like You -- Rich Mullins

I am a Christian and my name is Pilgram; I'm on a journey, but I'm not alone -- NewSong, slightly edited