Adornment… please be gentle I am learning and not from an anabaptist background

General Christian Theology
JimFoxvog
Affiliation: MCUSA

Re: Adornment… please be gentle I am learning and not from an anabaptist background

Post by JimFoxvog »

Josh wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 8:48 pm However, the Bible does not teach not to use modern drugs for recreational purposes. That is simply not a clear reading of the text.
Correct. We have to apply the clear principles. Is the use of the drug harmful to one's body? Is the effect similar to drunkenness? If either of these applies, it is not hard to understand that using the substance is unbiblical. Using a marijuana edible in a quantity that does not make one high would be a more debatable issue where church discernment would be helpful.

When we know what the Bible teaches, we do not have to ask for discernment from others when the principles clearly apply. Of course, we should not hide what we do and should listen to correction if offered. And I believe the Spirit of God still guides his people, and what is good for one person may not be suitable for another. Therefore, we allow one another freedom, even if they are being led differently than we are.
0 x
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Re: Adornment… please be gentle I am learning and not from an anabaptist background

Post by Josh »

JimFoxvog wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 9:06 pm
Josh wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 8:48 pm However, the Bible does not teach not to use modern drugs for recreational purposes. That is simply not a clear reading of the text.
Correct. We have to apply the clear principles. Is the use of the drug harmful to one's body? Is the effect similar to drunkenness? If either of these applies, it is not hard to understand that using the substance is unbiblical. Using a marijuana edible in a quantity that does not make one high would be a more debatable issue where church discernment would be helpful.

When we know what the Bible teaches, we do not have to ask for discernment from others when the principles clearly apply. Of course, we should not hide what we do and should listen to correction if offered. And I believe the Spirit of God still guides his people, and what is good for one person may not be suitable for another. Therefore, we allow one another freedom, even if they are being led differently than we are.
Well, that's where the rubber hits the road. When I read and interpret scripture, I don't think there's any room for marijuana in the life of the Christian. So you and I can't 100% agree on what the application here. And the scriptures don't take one side, or the other.

The principles "clearly apply" to one person, but to the next person it may not be so clear. This is why I reject biblical fundamentalism.
0 x
Ernie
Affiliation: Anabaptist Umbrella

Post by Ernie »

If this is what gentleness looks like, I wonder what harshness would look like. :(
0 x
The old woodcutter spoke again. “It is impossible to talk with you. You always draw conclusions. Life is so vast, yet you judge all of life with one page or one word. You see only a fragment. Unless you know the whole story, how can you judge?"
Biblical Anabaptist
Affiliation: Unaffiliated Menno

Post by Biblical Anabaptist »

I think when making a decision about what we are going to practice or allow in our own lives (or in our churches) we should ask a few questions. 1 What does the Bible, particularly the NT say about the issue? I think that has been well covered in this discussion. In many cases 2. Where did the practice originate? 3 What is our reason for making the change or beginning the practice? ( is it to exercise more liberty, or to walk closer with God? 4. What has been the outcome of those who engaged in the practice in the past?
1 x
steve-in-kville
Affiliation: Hippie Anabaptist

Post by steve-in-kville »

From jewelry to drug use... all in ten pages.
0 x
I self-identify as a conspiracy theorist. My pronouns are told/you/so.

Owner/admin at https://milepost81.com/
For parents, railfans, and much more!
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

steve-in-kville wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 10:52 am From jewelry to drug use... all in ten pages.
It's the same domain, though. How much authority does a church have to tell its members what to do with their lives? We all seem to agree a church is entirely within its rights to tell its members not to shoot up heroin, even though the Bible never says that. The Bible actually has more explicit statements about jewellery.
0 x
Lakeadams
Affiliation: Seeking

Post by Lakeadams »

Josh wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 8:51 pm
Lakeadams wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 6:27 pm
Josh wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 5:49 pm My denomination has a couple churches in NB. One is parked right on the border with Maine.
Oh okay, do you know of the Roachville fellowship? We almost bought a house near the Maine border up by Perth-Andover! That’s near the group you’re talking about I believe.
I only personally know some brethren at a Holdeman church on the Maine side. Thanks to Covid, there wasn’t a lot of cross border travel for the last 3 years so I’ve fallen out of touch with our Canadian friends.

If you would like a list of churches, we could compile a list and put it in the Church Finder thread. Perhaps Ernie could help too as he may know of some newer groups?
This would be great! Thank you to everyone who has contributed to the discussion. I really appreciate my brothers and sisters in the Lord… now I’m off to explore more posts on the forum. God bless!
0 x
Lakeadams
Affiliation: Seeking

Post by Lakeadams »

Biblical Anabaptist wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 10:15 am I think when making a decision about what we are going to practice or allow in our own lives (or in our churches) we should ask a few questions. 1 What does the Bible, particularly the NT say about the issue? I think that has been well covered in this discussion. In many cases 2. Where did the practice originate? 3 What is our reason for making the change or beginning the practice? ( is it to exercise more liberty, or to walk closer with God? 4. What has been the outcome of those who engaged in the practice in the past?
That third point you made stuck out to me. I’m going to write it down… it’s kind of like the verse that says all things are lawful but not everything is profitable. That’s a very good self reflection question- thank you!
0 x