Adornment… please be gentle I am learning and not from an anabaptist background

General Christian Theology
Lakeadams
Affiliation: Seeking

Re: Adornment… please be gentle I am learning and not from an anabaptist background

Post by Lakeadams »

Ernie wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 3:58 pm
Lakeadams wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 3:52 pm I think this is very close to where we’re at except of course that we haven’t surrendered some things like ALL jewelry. That isn’t because we cherish our wedding band or anything it’s just because it’s a symbol of our commitment for life to each other especially in a day and age where people call themselves partners rather than husband and wife and choose to live together rather than make vows before the Lord.
Then I expect we would be very comfortable communing with you all! :-)
We have a number of friends who have taken a similar position as you on wedding bands, and we consider them to be like us in the "avoiding jewelry" camp. :-)
My husband said “wow” when I read your description- it’s very well written/ very well said. Where are you all located?
Last edited by ohio jones on Tue Feb 28, 2023 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: coding
0 x
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Re: Adornment… please be gentle I am learning and not from an anabaptist background

Post by Josh »

Heirbyadoption wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 2:41 pm
Josh wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 11:39 amMy own group hasn’t divided since 1859 and since then a grand total of one congregation back in the 1960s has left our church group, so it is also possible to maintain unity amongst Anabaptists. The Old Order Amish have also maintained unity for a long time. Their clothing styles are significantly different in PA and Ohio and they even have different standards about things like e-bikes and phones.
Maintaining visible denominational unity is definitely a lot easier with some level of OTC doctrine (explicit or implied). :cry:
Well, the OOA aren’t an otc group. The Old German Baptist Brethren stayed unified as far as I know for over 100 years too. So it is certainly possible.

Other groups have as many divisions, or worse, than Anabaptists. It’s not just an “Anabaptist” thing. And in any case, the answer to unity is to not water down our practice, but to hold fast to things once delivered.
0 x
Ernie
Affiliation: Anabaptist Umbrella

Post by Ernie »

Lakeadams wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 4:05 pmMy husband said “wow” when I read your description- it’s very well written/ very well said. Where are you all located?
Central Pennsylvania

My inlaws live in southern Ontario. We were through your area about 5 years ago.
0 x
The old woodcutter spoke again. “It is impossible to talk with you. You always draw conclusions. Life is so vast, yet you judge all of life with one page or one word. You see only a fragment. Unless you know the whole story, how can you judge?"
Josh

Post by Josh »

My denomination has a couple churches in NB. One is parked right on the border with Maine.
0 x
Lakeadams

Post by Lakeadams »

Ernie wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 5:21 pm
Lakeadams wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 4:05 pmMy husband said “wow” when I read your description- it’s very well written/ very well said. Where are you all located?
Central Pennsylvania

My inlaws live in southern Ontario. We were through your area about 5 years ago.
We must visit penn. there are so many great congregations down that way. Ontario is a really great place to find anabaptist groups… we have met so many wonderful brothers and sisters there. We’d go back if the Lord provided a way!
0 x
Lakeadams

Post by Lakeadams »

Josh wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 5:49 pm My denomination has a couple churches in NB. One is parked right on the border with Maine.
Oh okay, do you know of the Roachville fellowship? We almost bought a house near the Maine border up by Perth-Andover! That’s near the group you’re talking about I believe.
0 x
Josh

Post by Josh »

Lakeadams wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 6:27 pm
Josh wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 5:49 pm My denomination has a couple churches in NB. One is parked right on the border with Maine.
Oh okay, do you know of the Roachville fellowship? We almost bought a house near the Maine border up by Perth-Andover! That’s near the group you’re talking about I believe.
I only personally know some brethren at a Holdeman church on the Maine side. Thanks to Covid, there wasn’t a lot of cross border travel for the last 3 years so I’ve fallen out of touch with our Canadian friends.

If you would like a list of churches, we could compile a list and put it in the Church Finder thread. Perhaps Ernie could help too as he may know of some newer groups?
1 x
Ernie
Affiliation: Anabaptist Umbrella

Post by Ernie »

Josh wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 8:51 pm
Lakeadams wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 6:27 pm
I only personally know some brethren at a Holdeman church on the Maine side. Thanks to Covid, there wasn’t a lot of cross border travel for the last 3 years so I’ve fallen out of touch with our Canadian friends.

If you would like a list of churches, we could compile a list and put it in the Church Finder thread. Perhaps Ernie could help too as he may know of some newer groups?
I'm checking...
0 x
The old woodcutter spoke again. “It is impossible to talk with you. You always draw conclusions. Life is so vast, yet you judge all of life with one page or one word. You see only a fragment. Unless you know the whole story, how can you judge?"
Heirbyadoption
Affiliation: Brethren

Post by Heirbyadoption »

Josh wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 5:11 pm
Heirbyadoption wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 2:41 pm
Josh wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 11:39 amMy own group hasn’t divided since 1859 and since then a grand total of one congregation back in the 1960s has left our church group, so it is also possible to maintain unity amongst Anabaptists. The Old Order Amish have also maintained unity for a long time. Their clothing styles are significantly different in PA and Ohio and they even have different standards about things like e-bikes and phones.
Maintaining visible denominational unity is definitely a lot easier with some level of OTC doctrine (explicit or implied). :cry:
Well, the OOA aren’t an otc group. The Old German Baptist Brethren stayed unified as far as I know for over 100 years too. So it is certainly possible.

Other groups have as many divisions, or worse, than Anabaptists. It’s not just an “Anabaptist” thing. And in any case, the answer to unity is to not water down our practice, but to hold fast to things once delivered.
At the very least, I find in my OOA interactions back here in PA that they generally tend to have the OTC concept extremely implicit among them - after all, if you aren't Amish, you're Englisch and worldly (or headed there); if you're as acquainted with the OOAmish as you seem to be with everybody else, you'll know that tends to be far more than a ethnic differentiation. As for the OGBBs (and a few of their offshoots like the Petitioners), the concept was highly implicit after 1881 and especially during over the last 100 years or so, most noticeably in the preaching and discipline of the more conservative/OO element of the group, and it did indeed help to keep them unified denominationally; having said that, many of them now water it down to "we just don't know about others outside of our group." As such, I simply reiterate my earlier observation, that maintain visible denominational unity is definitely a lot easier with some level of OTC doctrine (explicit or implied).
1 x
steve-in-kville
Affiliation: Hippie Anabaptist

Post by steve-in-kville »

What does OTC stand for? Over the counter? You guys lost me on that one.
0 x
I self-identify as a conspiracy theorist. My pronouns are told/you/so.

Owner/admin at https://milepost81.com/
For parents, railfans, and much more!