The Spiritual Fruit Of Gentleness

General Christian Theology
Sudsy
Affiliation: Salvation Army

The Spiritual Fruit Of Gentleness

Post by Sudsy »

One of the characteristics of the fruit of the Spirit is gentleness. In scripture we can find all kinds of occasions where Jesus displayed gentleness. But we can also find times where Jesus does not appear to be very gentle when dealing with certain people (i.e. the Pharisees).

So how are we to best understand what it means to be reflecting the spiritual fruit of gentleness ?

Everyone welcome to share their thoughts but be gentle. :)

Adding a link of scriptures regarding the gentleness of Jesus - https://www.openbible.info/topics/gentl ... sus_christ
3 x
Pursuing a Kingdom life in the Spirit
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Re: The Spiritual Fruit Of Gentleness

Post by MaxPC »

Great thread topic, Sudsy. For my part, I do think that the humility of Jesus plays an integral role.
1 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
steve-in-kville
Affiliation: Hippie Anabaptist

Post by steve-in-kville »

Not sure how this plays in, but I think compassion goes a long way. And along with that, not judging a book by its cover is huge, too. Twice in the past few months I've been humbled in situations where I thought I had a coworker figured out, only to be put in my place.
1 x
I self-identify as a conspiracy theorist. My pronouns are told/you/so.

Owner/admin at https://milepost81.com/
For parents, railfans, and much more!
barnhart
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by barnhart »

When I read the writing of Paul and Peter and reflect on their earlier lives, it easy to see the gentleness that descended on them after they came to know Jesus. I think it is a mark of all who truly know him.
0 x
dontperish
Affiliation: Christian

Post by dontperish »

My thoughts here ....

Gentleness also means usefulness in moral character...

I think we should model Jesus and Paul ...

Jesus was gentle with children and seekers but brutal to false teachers and those who keep sin. See Matt 18 and Matt 23
He called them hypocrites and tossed men out of the body over sin.

Paul said that word gentleness in Gal 5 and it's aimed at God's people who are obeying and following Him
In verse 12 of that same chapter.. Paul tells false teachers to cut off their man hood. Look up emasculate...

There's a time for gentleness and a time for rebuke. This pc soft fake love drunk culture has no real clue who the real Jesus was. Read John 2 ..he hit men with a whip ...but was still gentle to those who were seeking righteousness.

I just last month did this teaching on the fruits:
https://www.dontperish.com/bibleteachin ... -explained

God be praised
0 x
Robert
Site Janitor
Affiliation: Anabaptist

Post by Robert »

dontperish wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 9:23 am Read John 2 ..he hit men with a whip ...but was still gentle to those who were seeking righteousness.
Some interpretations it could easily be read that he whipped the animals.

Either way, this is the ONLY time we see Jesus react this way. Other leaders he talked to calmly. This suggests the action going on was so bad, he responded this way to show the disrespect happening. They were selling animals for sacrifice in the Gentile area. What example were they setting? They were not breaking Jewish law or faith in doing so. So something else caused Jesus to respond in this way. It can easily be understood that the example they were making to the Gentiles was the issue. So should we consider the same thing. The legalities we life with and requirements of others outside the faith along with seeing the inconsistency and hypocrisy of our dealing with each other as just as egregious? I would suspect Jesus would be just as upset.

The greatest commandment was to love one another. I do think we fall way short of that. We judge and condemn each other often. Instead of judging, maybe we should die for each other even if we do not agree with each other.
1 x
Try hard not to offend. Try harder not to be offended.
Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they are not after you.
I think I am funnier than I really am.
MaxPC

Post by MaxPC »

Robert wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 12:07 pm
The greatest commandment was to love one another. I do think we fall way short of that. We judge and condemn each other often. Instead of judging, maybe we should die for each other even if we do not agree with each other.
Powerfully put. Spot on.
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
Sudsy
Affiliation: Salvation Army

Post by Sudsy »

Thanks for all the input to consider.

When I read how Jesus spoke to the Pharisees, although He praised them in some of their acts, He was very strong in what He said that they did wrong. It seems to me those He seemed very harsh with were those who acted quite religious but their heart attitudes were far from how God looks on the heart. Calling them “hypocrites,” “blind guides,” “blind fools,” “snakes”, “a brood of vipers”, “full of greed and self-indulgence” “like whitewashed tombs”does not seem very gentle to say the least.

I am having trouble seeing this as displaying the fruit characteristic of gentleness but I can see it as a way of showing 'tough love', so to speak. Jesus’ offensive language could be understood as a desperate, love-motivated attempt to shock the Pharisees into realizing their dire situation.

Looking back though on the initial post that lists scriptures to do with gentleness notice how many scriptures speak of gentleness in how we speak with other believers. To post a couple -
Brothers, if anyone is caught in any transgression, you who are spiritual should restore him in a spirit of gentleness. Keep watch on yourself, lest you too be tempted.
But we were gentle among you, like a nursing mother taking care of her own children.
And even being gentle with anyone who asks about your belief in Christ -
But in your hearts honor Christ the Lord as holy, always being prepared to make a defense to anyone who asks you for a reason for the hope that is in you; yet do it with gentleness and respect, having a good conscience, so that, when you are slandered, those who revile your good behavior in Christ may be put to shame.
To know then when it is the right time and place for rebuking or for sharing your faith with unbelievers and treating other brothers and sisters in the Lord we need the guidance of the Holy Spirit. Otherwise, the flesh can take over and the result will not be God honoring. It would seem then that our conversations here amongst believers would be more of the gentle approach rather than any quarrelsome harsh approach as others have already pointed out.

Yes ? No ? More thoughts ?
0 x
Pursuing a Kingdom life in the Spirit
MaxPC

Post by MaxPC »

I am convinced that Jesus did use “tough love” when necessary. For most of The Gospels and even in Acts we see His example of gentleness.

I have always encouraged others to at least slowly and prayerfully read the New Testament; and to do so repeatedly, year after year. Better still, add into the daily Bible reading a healthy dose of Proverbs and Psalms of which Jesus Himself would hear and read frequently. I genuinely feel that doing so daily would soften and mold the heart of any disciple seeking to be like Him. In my experience it is not an academic exercise but rather one of the heart.
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)