Good Friday/ Easter Lies

General Christian Theology
steve-in-kville
Affiliation: Hippie Anabaptist

Re: Good Friday/ Easter Lies

Post by steve-in-kville »

And here I thought someone was gonna tell us that the Easter Bunny isn't real.
1 x
I self-identify as a conspiracy theorist. My pronouns are told/you/so.

Owner/admin at https://milepost81.com/
For parents, railfans, and much more!
Soloist
Affiliation: CM Seeker

Post by Soloist »

Josh wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 1:48 pm
Soloist wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 1:46 pm We do not give gifts or receive gifts. When work has Christmas gifts of any sort, I turn them down.
I've always found this a bit odd.

After all, Mary didn't refuse the magi's gifts for the baby Jesus.
That wasn’t Christmas presents for one. Jesus was likely around 2. Plus they were gifts to a King. I don’t mind birthday presents but Christmas presents encourage greed rather then thankfulness of the gift of God’s Son.
0 x
Soloist, but I hate singing alone
Soloist, but my wife posts with me
Soloist, but I believe in community
Soloist, but I want God in the pilot seat
steve-in-kville

I've noticed many conservative Mennonite employers give bonuses at Thanksgiving, to avoid the conflict of gift-giving at Christmas.
0 x

HondurasKeiser
Affiliation: LMC & IEMH

Post by HondurasKeiser »

steve-in-kville wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 1:59 pm I've noticed many conservative Mennonite employers give bonuses at Thanksgiving, to avoid the conflict of gift-giving at Christmas.
I never realized gift-giving at Christmas was strictly verboten among the CA's. I remember more conservative families in our own congregation severely limiting their gift-giving or perhaps only exchanging home-made gifts. I didn't know that it was so uniformly frowned-upon though.
0 x
Affiliation: Lancaster Mennonite Conference & Honduran Mennonite Evangelical Church
steve-in-kville

HondurasKeiser wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 2:03 pm
steve-in-kville wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 1:59 pm I've noticed many conservative Mennonite employers give bonuses at Thanksgiving, to avoid the conflict of gift-giving at Christmas.
I never realized gift-giving at Christmas was strictly verboten among the CA's. I remember more conservative families in our own congregation severely limiting their gift-giving or perhaps only exchanging home-made gifts. I didn't know that it was so uniformly frowned-upon though.
It can be. Not sure where the O/O Amish would stand on the issue.
0 x

Soloist

Post by Soloist »

It’s not. That being said, it’s generally small if given. I’m a seeker and am a little more sensitive due to my past.
0 x
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

Holdemans practice gift giving albeit much smaller than a typical “worldly” family Christmas would be. Maybe 1 gift per child.
0 x
mike
Affiliation: Conservative Menno

Post by mike »

I give bonuses for both holidays and it doesn't make anybody upset including my JW employees who don't observe any holidays.
1 x
Remember the prisoners, as though you were in prison with them, and the mistreated, as though you yourselves were suffering bodily. -Heb. 13:3
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

mike wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 3:17 pmI give bonuses for both holidays and it doesn't make anybody upset including my JW employees who don't observe any holidays.
I do a holiday calendar with all federal/state holidays, plus Easter, plus a few extra days like Christmas Eve and day after Thanksgiving. So far, no objections...

In our case it's easier if we all take off holidays at the same time and I think a nice shutdown the last week of December works well, especially for people who want to travel to visit family.

The only special church service we have is Thanksgiving. I hope nobody has a problem with having a special church service to give thanks.
1 x
Soloist

Post by Soloist »

Wife: we haven’t turned down gifts for the children, but they almost always end up being birthday gifts anyway ironically, so we don’t really have to worry about it. For the most part, our family tries to be respectful and makes them non-Christmas gifts anyway. It’s more about myself/my husband. He has turned down Christmas bonuses too (very respectfully and non-judgmentally, as far as I know). We’re not here to judge people with different convictions on it. I know of people who divert monetary Christmas gifts to the One whose birthday is supposed to be being celebrated. That’s an idea.
1 x